[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers violating "bounty" rules?

budlitebrad

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello tells us that the league is looking into the question of whether members of the Green Bay Packers have violated the league's rules against bounties.

On Sunday, Bob Holtzmann of ESPN reported during Sunday NFL Countdown that a couple of Packers defensive backs had promised to pay each of the team's defensive linemen $500 if they were able to hold Vikings running back Adrian Peterson under 100 yards rushing in Week Ten.

They succeeded.

For Week Eleven, another $500 per lineman was promised if the Packers held the Panthers to under 60 yards rushing.

They failed.

We asked Aiello whether these extra payments counted against the salary cap, given that they were coming from teammates and not from the team. Aiello said that it's not a cap issue, but he explained that the league is looking at whether such promises are impermissible bounties.

The classic bounty is an offer of money or other benefits in exchange for injuring a player. But to the extent that limiting a player's production can be satisfied in part by, for example, tearing the player's LCL, it's probably not a good idea for incentives of this nature to be dangled in front of NFL players.

Credit: Profootballtalk.com

Talk about some BS. First of all, Harris and Woodson were obviously the ones offering up the cash, so why would Harris intentionally try to injure AD when he would be the one losing money on it? And I seriously doubt a small amount like 500 bucks is gonna drive someone to maliciously hurt an opposing player.

Secondly, what's the difference between this and QBs/RBs giving gifts to there offensive line? It just seems hypocritical to have a rule like this. Some of the vets just want to get the younger guys motivated. Locker room bets like this go on all the time. :D

Edited by budlitebrad

With the Peterson situation, I can see where they might draw the erroneous conclusion, because a SPECIFIC player is named - it's similar but anyone with ANY knowledge of the game should know that "hold this guy below 100 yds" and "take this guy out" are two completely different animals. Still, close enough to being a "bounty" in the sense of "even the appearance of impropriety is enough."

But when you're talking about a team goal, pfft.

:D at Holtzmann & ESPN. Does ESPN have any credibilty any more with anyone?

So trying to put a ceiling on a player's production in an effort to win a game leads to intentionally injuring that player? And $500 per is ridiculous per player pay standards - it would be like the average poster here betting a dollar on a game.

And speaking of ESPN credibility, so here I am watching a very entertaining DEN/TEN game last night & DEN is actually winning the game, and I'm finding myself flipping to another channel between plays so that I don't have to listen to the incredibly inane Kornholer go off on another tangent for what seemed like an eternity. If it weren't DEN playing, I'd have actually turned off the game. When is ESPN going to sh*tcan that moran?

:D at Holtzmann & ESPN. Does ESPN have any credibilty any more with anyone?

So trying to put a ceiling on a player's production in an effort to win a game leads to intentionally injuring that player? And $500 per is ridiculous per player pay standards - it would be like the average poster here betting a dollar on a game.

And speaking of ESPN credibility, so here I am watching a very entertaining DEN/TEN game last night & DEN is actually winning the game, and I'm finding myself flipping to another channel between plays so that I don't have to listen to the incredibly inane Kornholer go off on another tangent for what seemed like an eternity. If it weren't DEN playing, I'd have actually turned off the game. When is ESPN going to sh*tcan that moran?

Did Jaws call Vince Young too dumb to run Shanahan's offense when talking about Cutler. Kornhjesier didn't pick up on it. :D

Let us not forget what league we're talking about here. This is a league that sees not wearing your socks in the correct manner as a slippery slope to some sort of anarchy. With that in mind, it doesn't surprise me that they're drawing a line here.

Not that I agree with it. Of course, I thought it was lame when they fined (or at least threatened, I forget which) Peyton Manning for wearing different cleats to honor Johnny U.

Typical cheating Packers. Now someone will go after Brett Favre's knees in retaliation. You reap what you sow. They offered a bounty on limiting a RB's production and "coincidentally" take out his knee on a cheap shot. The entire defense should be suspended, and Brett Favre too.