[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Circuit City stock: buy low?

BeeR

I've said this before and I'll say it again:

CIRCUIT CITY SUCKS!!!

May lightening strike me if I EVER go in a Circuit City store again!! :D

another tech savvy buddy of mine says this too. they appear to be just like best buy and all the others. why are they so bad?

they are clearly headed in the wrong direction. getting killed by walmart, best buy, radio shack, etc.. the only appeal would be as a possible takeover candidate. there are better options for your money out there ...

This may be a good time to buy an HDTV from them, though (assuming that the warranty is through the manufacturer).

another tech savvy buddy of mine says this too. they appear to be just like best buy and all the others.

Exactly. This is why I don't get why they do so bad (well aside from CEOs/etc with absurd salaries/bonuses/'retirement packages" etc) while BB thrives.

Exactly. This is why I don't get why they do so bad (well aside from CEOs/etc with absurd salaries/bonuses/'retirement packages" etc) while BB thrives.

I like Washington Mutual right now with a $17.99 share price and an over 12% yield. I also dig Standard Pacific Corp with a price on the NYSE of $2.31 and a book value of over $20 per share. That one was $30 6 months ago. Lots of housing and bank stocks look good but then again, may definitely go lower. They're on my radar though for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
i'd dump now because i smell a dead cat bounce.

this thing is so depressed that this bump would not give me all that much confidence ... and our housing situation is far from fixed despite what W announced today.

Totally agree this is a dead cat bounce (I think the market as a whole).

Already dumped.

I am going to wait for it to hit around 7-8 to buy again. The housing market WILL return no doubt about that so this is a good stock to monitor.

Totally agree this is a dead cat bounce (I think the market as a whole).

Already dumped.

I am going to wait for it to hit around 7-8 to buy again. The housing market WILL return no doubt about that so this is a good stock to monitor.

from toll bros conf call today......

Toll Brothers Inc., which yesterday reported that it suffered its first quarterly loss in its two decades as a public company, expects a small amount of relief from the Bush administration's housing rescue plan.

The Horsham, Pa.-based builder issued a gloomy forecast for 2008, making it clear that it doesn't expect a major improvement soon. Chief Financial Officer Joel Rassman said the company expects revenue to fall in 2008. The company declined to offer a profit forecast citing "numerous uncertainties related to sales paces, sales prices, mortgage markets, cancellations, market direction" and other factors.

• 2 weeks later...

Circuit City is headquartered just down the road. They are a joke locally. It was just announced that some key execs will be getting a million to agree to stay for 3 years and a few other higher-ups will be getting $600k. :oldrolleyes:

This company deserves to die. And will.

I like Washington Mutual right now with a $17.99 share price and an over 12% yield. I also dig Standard Pacific Corp with a price on the NYSE of $2.31 and a book value of over $20 per share. That one was $30 6 months ago. Lots of housing and bank stocks look good but then again, may definitely go lower. They're on my radar though for sure.

Is that Standard Pacific Homes? Assuming it is...

from toll bros conf call today......

Toll is not doing well right now.

Circuit City is headquartered just down the road. They are a joke locally. It was just announced that some key execs will be getting a million to agree to stay for 3 years and a few other higher-ups will be getting $600k. :oldrolleyes:

50in plasmas for dirt cheap at the going out of biz sales!!!!!!! :D

"locally" meaning - ?

As I said earlier, it's no secret about the head honchos getting sick $, retirement etc - yet somehow I don't see how that is pulling them in the toilet in the big picture. I have to wonder what the BB big boys are getting too.