[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question concerning entry fees in a league

tatz4ever

I will say this - the fee itself matter. Meaning ours is a $500 entry fee - asking for that to be waived would be crazy. However, a $100 fee or less, a waiver is reasonable. Guess I'm saying for a commish that does have to do a bit more than just initially set up the site and maybe once a week send one email, a $100 "break" for payment seems about right.

I think mine would fold too. I would love it if it would continue but I just can't see it happening.

KO'd

I handle two leagues myself and pay the full entry fee for both. Collecting the league fees can be a bit of a pain, and I usually organize the food and drink aspect of one of the leagues, so that is a bit of work. The software we use handles pretty much everything else, although I do have to create the schedule, mess with the bank transactions, and figure the payouts at the end of the playoffs. Once or twice a year I may have to deal with an oddball issue in the league that isn't specifically covered in the rulebook.

However, none of that compares to the work I do on draft day. Since my groups do live drafts, I get the pleasure of inputting lineups into the online software as we go. When things are moving fast in the draft, that means I don't get a lot of time to think about my own team which I'm sure has made my squad suffer a bit at the outset of the season.

But you know what - I still love the draft...it's the best part of the season. I wouldn't want to get a free entry fee, but getting an outside party to input the stuff as we go would be sweet. :D

This is getting more and more interesting - Otis and several others are essentially saying "I do a good amoutn of work, especially on draft day, and some of it I do wish someone else would do, but taking a cut off the fee doesn't seem right...unless maybe voted on by the other owners"

Grits, myself and some others say ""I do a good amoutn of work, especially on draft day, and I get $65 to $85 off my contribution to the pot"

Not saying either is "right" as what is right is determined at a league level by those involved, but the dichotomy on something like this is definitely intriguing.

For those that say "rotate the commissionership", either your league is so automated and on autopilot it's somewhat hard to relate (I am in a BOTH one that is kindof like that, and I still think FW gets screwed on that cause he still needs to do things, although definitely a lot less than I do in my local), or it's just a different animal, cause rotating is out of the question in some leagues.

I definatly do not discredit the amount of work that my brother does from draft day to Super Bowl, but am trying to say that his workload has changed dramatically since our leagues inception. This issue probably should have been brought up years ago, but for some reason has not surfaced. Maybe I would not get the support I think I would if this went to a vote.

On a sidenote, we also run a Playoff league with 6 of our owners. My brother is always in and pays his $50.00 entry fee every year, like the other 5 owners. He is still the commish at this time. Does it make any difference ,to those of you saying he should play for free, that he pays for this one but not the other? Just curious

Our league would fold instantly, but I do not agree I should not have to pay 100% what everyone else does. In fact before this yr, I usually spent $100-150 on food for the draft, as its at my house most years. Everyone brings their own drink. Some give me a extra $10 or $20 more than the entry fee, to offset some of that cost, but it rarely adds up to much more than 50% of what I spend. But I did it because I wanted too. Now we go to Buffalo Wild Wings, as they have a draft party package, that is pretty sweet and its free food, if you set up your party early enough, as long as eveyrone is drinking......

I just cant see not having to pay full price for everything. Commish duties are complete volunteer work, and in our league, no one else would step up, so If I want this league to continue I do it. And I do, so I do.

"Set the draft date to the same date each year" ... this I have tried, and it has never flown. Too many have kids that are very active. Several others have jobs where they travel alot.

Our transaction fees are unique in that the esculate with each transaction in a given week, the more transactions you make the more you pay ... so your first transaction is $5, each subsequent transaction is $1 more than the last one. Of course if you make a priority move or a free agency move after noon on Sunday then it is $2 on top of all of that. I have to monitor IR transactions as well ... as there are certain circumstances that require a fee. This means I keep track of all transactions off line ... and I have to pay attention to WHEN transactions are made because it influences HOW MUCH the transaction costs.

We also have 3 weekly prize categories that I have to track and manage. These categories are funded by any excess transaction fees that we have. High Team Points, High Player Points (started ... and can't repeat), High Victory Margin.

I think it is a great idea that the reigning champ take over commissioner duties ... but if your league is like mine nobody wants to be the commissioner. In addtion you may go from having a great commissioner to have one that sucks.

I assure you I earn my entry fee.

Yes you earn it there! I'm feeling like a sissy because I worked OUT most of the tedious stuff so it can be automated. Most of it didn't really make a difference. I've tried to hint of a step down but know the league would fold because it was formed by branches of my friends or at least it's evolved to that.

Back to the original post, I guess you have to ask if the commish does enough to earn the $200 and if the league would last if someone else did it for nothing.

"Commish duties are complete volunteer work,"

At the end of the day, this appears to be the key phrase in all this. Obviously we differ on this - I'd say I hold my stance for four reasons:

1) when we started the league, commissioner got $100 for the massive amount of work involved. That's what I'm used to, and find it fair.

2) I don't condier it volunteer work - I spend probalby 10-15 hours preseason on it, and about an hour a week after that, plus dealing with headaches.

3) In this league, the 'role' of commish isn't just a role - if I didn't do it, league would fold. Seems to point out it's neither a simple effort nor one anyone could do.

4) I "commish" a large survivor pool as well - reason I bring this up is I get an 8 to 10% tip on this yearly which is reasonable for the work. DOn't see Fantasy much different (although tip is closer to 1%).

Just the way I view it - can see the opposite side of it though.

I commish 2 leagues without taking compensation.

I'm in another 3 where the commish takes no compensation.

I would never take a free entry and would quit a league if the commish did.

We do this for fun. It's not a job.

I wouldn't even take a tip, though a few beers from the winner is always nice.

Come to think of it, I run a Superbowl pool that probably takes me around 8-10 hours to set up, a week to distribute and collect, and a full day (8+ hours) to tally and I refuse to put in an entry for myself to avoid any thoughts of cheating. Because it's fun.

should pay or be killed

or stand while we hire some of the local prostitutes to come over and kick the culprit in the jimmy repeatedly...

considering it's just not the same when a man kicks another man in the jimmy.....unless you have women in the league, then they are welcome to participate...

This one is a slamdunk.

If it's an online league everybody pays the same amount.

If it's so much work being the commish and you want a free ride, find someone else to be commish you cheap bassturd. :D

This is a local league run through Statsworld.com. I am not looking for a free ride at all. I am trying to make all 12 teams equal financially.

Seems grits and I are the only ones that definitely see our commish jobs deserviing of a break in the fee of $70 (and our leaguemates - this has actually never come up in 12 years of me being "overpaid" or it being unfair). In saying that, going back to the original post, two question:

1) He was getting a $200 break. Now that your online, does that fee come out of the $200? If so, how much is he really getting? If not, then I'd say suggesting a compromise of reducing to $100.

2) " Even his e-mail updates have been lacking since Week 10 due to him not having a team with playoff hopes. "

Now that is a problem - in the few years i've been out of it early (I've been very middle of the road, but usually still in playoff mix even in bad year till week 13 at least), I actually ended up being a better commish cause I paid less attention to my team. If the commish isn't doing his agreed to job, need ot figure out not if he should pay more but if he should be commish.

From the old days, I don't pay either. When voted to raise it up from $80 to $100 two years ago without asking I just paid the increase, so I pay $20 total and my waivers and trades. It certainly isn't harder than it used to be, so I shouldn't get a "raise"

The way I look at it, it is my league and their all just visiting, if they had a problem with it they are free to not be in it. They don't...

I work many hours in the off season reworking rules and phrasing, draft day organization, papers pens and everything. (You'd be surprised who doesn't bring a pen to the draft) So they have TWO things to work on. Show up at 8am and make their teams better. Where I spend a week re-reading rules. learning the new website features, answering questions, and tabulating votes. THEN I get to study for my team...when the league is set.

We front league expenses, make trips to the mall for the league champion gift, two trips to the league engravers for the trophy. It adds up at $3 a gallon. If their were a shortage or someone didn't pay their waivers I would probably pay the winner anyway. They get worry free fantasy for the last 14 years for $80 a year.

Being commish has some advantages but it also has plenty of things that take up your time when you could be looking at depth charts and free agents.

Each league can decide what their commish is worth but trust me you get what you pay for.

My league has two different payouts. The head to head champ gets a percentage of the pot as well as the cheap award Yahoo gives to custom leagues. The remaining amount goes to the overall points champ as well as he gets to be commish the next year. Commish get his Yahoo fees waived but he still needs to chip in his $25 for the prize pot.

My league has two different payouts. The head to head champ gets a percentage of the pot as well as the cheap award Yahoo gives to custom leagues. The remaining amount goes to the overall points champ as well as he gets to be commish the next year. Commish get his Yahoo fees waived but he still needs to chip in his $25 for the prize pot.

In a league where it can rotate, I could see this making sense - you win one year, so that's your "payment" for next year a bit.

But the biggest head ache of all is establishing a draft date which all can agree on ... that alone is worth the entry fee

:D

It is fair if that is the way the rules are written and the league doesn't change them. You are not obligated to play if you don't want to.

Once everything became computer based, I as Commish started paying for the web server as my fee. Less than the rest of the league, but at least it makes my life easier and it doesn't come out of the pot! :D