[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

adult orthodontics

tonorator

so a piece of one of my lower teeth breaks off and i go to get it fixed. dentist tells me that my bite is fubar and that if i don't fix it, i'll keep destroying my lower teeth. so he sends me to the ortho. i tell the ortho about my jaw locking problems that i've had for sometime, and combined with my lower teeth chipping, he says i'm a mess. puts me in this FR thing that i've had to wear for the last 2 months. think james bond jaws.

now he says the next step is braces, so i'm about to go full metal jacket. as a 40 year old man, i'm not very enthusiastic about this. of course, my 12 year old is loving it. turns out he gets his off on the very same day that mine go on.

hopefully i'll be able to go hollywood after my extreme makeover.

anyone had braces as an adult? the 12yo says i'm in for some pain ...

:D

I had mine after I turned 21. The pain is not that bad.....kinda hurts when your teeth are moving slowly but surely, and if a wire starts poking you. Other than that just a pain in the ass. I had the clear ones which weren't too bad.

i'm doing the clear thing as well.

so a piece of one of my lower teeth breaks off and i go to get it fixed. dentist tells me that my bite is fubar and that if i don't fix it, i'll keep destroying my lower teeth. so he sends me to the ortho. i tell the ortho about my jaw locking problems that i've had for sometime, and combined with my lower teeth chipping, he says i'm a mess. puts me in this FR thing that i've had to wear for the last 2 months. think james bond jaws.

now he says the next step is braces, so i'm about to go full metal jacket. as a 40 year old man, i'm not very enthusiastic about this. of course, my 12 year old is loving it. turns out he gets his off on the very same day that mine go on.

hopefully i'll be able to go hollywood after my extreme makeover.

anyone had braces as an adult? the 12yo says i'm in for some pain ...

ck out invisalign, my wife is about half way thru her 7mos and if you didnt know they were on you would never see them

jaw locking problems, huh? mmmhmm. just as i suspected. :D

yeah, yeah.

here's more detail ...

The most common disorder of the TMJ is disc displacement. In essence, this is when the articular disc, attached anteriorly to the superior head of the lateral pteygoid muscle and posteriorly to the retrodiscal tissue, moves out from between the condyle and the fossa, so that the mandible and temporal bone contact is made on something other than the articular disc. This, as explained above, is usually very painful, because unlike these adjacent tissues, the central portion of the disc contains no sensory innervation.

In most instances of disorder, the disc is displaced anteriorly upon translation, or the anterior and inferior sliding motion of the condyle forward within the fossa and down the articular eminance. On opening, a "pop" or "click" can sometimes be heard and usually felt as well, indicating the condyle is moving back onto the disk, known as "reducing the joint" (disc displacement with reduction). Upon closing, the condyle will slide off the back of the disc, hence another "click" or "pop". Now the condyle is posterior to the disc. Upon clenching, the condyle compresses the bilaminar area, and the nerves, arteries and veins against the temporal fossa, causing pain and inflammation.

In Disc displacement without reduction the disc stays anterior to the condylar head upon opening. Mouth opening is limited and there is no "pop" or "click" sound on opening.