[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Penn State students dress up as VT shooting victims

polksalet

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Penn State should not be condemned for the actions of TWO dumb MF'ers

http://www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellite?page...s!localnews

It started with a picture on Facebook and has now created a firestorm of outrage.

Two Penn State students, dressed as Virginia Tech shooting victims, at a Halloween party have enraged people from the Virginia Tech community, as well as the entire country.

10 On Your Side has seen all of the controversial pictures. They are of two Penn State students and are extremely graphic. Both are wearing Virginia Tech t-shirts and elaborate make-up. Both have bullet holes in their bodies.

Our decision not to show you the pictures is a result of our desire to be sensitive to a community that is still grieving. We also want to show respect to the shooting victims, their families, and their friends. Showing these pictures would serve no purpose.

We talked with one of the students who wore the costume. He said the outfits were worn to a small party and meant to be private.

"It's not that it was funny, it's that we are notorious and infamous in the state college, so we have to do things that push the envelope just for shock value," he said.

Penn State officials were quick to respond to the costumes.

"We are appalled that these individuals would display this level of insensitivity, indifference, and lack of common decency and sense by dressing up in this manner," the school said.

"The fact that one of these individuals is actually from Virginia, makes it even more difficult to understand. Just because something is within the bounds of the Constitution and free speech, does not mean it should be undertaken. We certainly condemn these ugly and senseless actions. Most Penn Staters are as offended by this as anyone from Virginia Tech would be-- and rightfully so. These two people do not represent 90,000 Penn State students. They represent themselves."

After seeing the pictures, a Virginia Tech student created a Facebook group called, "People Against This Costume." Some of the upset members have left threatening messages to the Penn State students.

"This is a group of college students who now think it's trendy to be upset about their friends being killed," one of the two Penn State students who wore the costume said. "I don't know what they teach people in Virginia Tech, but at Penn State we don't learn to threaten people with murder to teach them that murdering is wrong."

He goes on to defend the pictures.

"The thing is, everybody's making a big stink about Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech was 32 deaths out of the 26 thousand that happen in America everyday," he said. "That's the problem with college students. They all live in an ivory tower of privilege. They don't understand, when it all boils down to it, it's someone wearing a costume."

Reaction from Tech students and Blacksburg residents was disgust.

"That somebody would have the nerve to mock [the victims]. They were really good people," said local business owner, Carol Gwin.

Gwin knew three of the victims in the shootings and considered them cherished friends.

condemn the 2 idiots but none of this should be thrown on Penn State.....just as easily could have been reported as "Two College Students..." or "Two Young Adults..." but PENN STATE makes for better press

Edited by keggerz

Do not condem Penn State for the idiocy of two individuals. Penn State teh School and Penn Stat ethe community has done as much or more than any other University to show their support for VT and the victims of that horrible shooting considering that a random shooting also took place on the Penn State campus. You're barking up teh wrong tree here Polk.

Do not condem Penn State for the idiocy of two individuals. Penn State teh School and Penn Stat ethe community has done as much or more than any other University to show their support for VT and the victims of that horrible shooting considering that a random shooting also took place on the Penn State campus. You're barking up teh wrong tree here Polk.

Barking up the wrong tree? All I did was report the facts maam.

"It's not that it was funny, it's that we are notorious and infamous in the state college, so we have to do things that push the envelope just for shock value," he said.

-- It's a big world out there, oil and vinegar bag. You're not that important.

-- It's a big world out there, oil and vinegar bag. You're not that important.

Tell me that dude didn't say that.

Nothing like doing something insanely stupid and then following it up with something like that.

Repeat after me:

"There is no excuse for my abhorrent actions. It was completely insensitive and I can't express how deep my regret is for having acted this way. I can only now offer my sincere apology and pledge to be a better person."

Then anyone who wants to pummel said person is invited to step up and do so.

Thank you for coming

It gets better.

Some of the upset members have left threatening messages to the Penn State students.

"This is a group of college students who now think it's trendy to be upset about their friends being killed," one of the two Penn State students who wore the costume said. "I don't know what they teach people in Virginia Tech, but at Penn State we don't learn to threaten people with murder to teach them that murdering is wrong."

He goes on to defend the pictures.

"The thing is, everybody's making a big stink about Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech was 32 deaths out of the 26 thousand that happen in America everyday," he said. "That's the problem with college students. They all live in an ivory tower of privilege. They don't understand, when it all boils down to it, it's someone wearing a costume."

Penn State should not be condemned for the actions of TWO dumb MF'ers

http://www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellite?page...s!localnews

condemn the 2 idiots but none of this should be thrown on Penn State.....just as easily could have been reported as "Two College Students..." or "Two Young Adults..." but PENN STATE makes for better press

Agreed. 2 idiots. End of story.

Agreed. 2 idiots. End of story.

well, two idiots who go to penn state, if we want to be slightly more precise. why is it so important to some of you to leave that part out? :D

and yeah, it was just two people, but how many others were at the party? did anyone confront them or ask them to leave or cover up? or did they just laugh and snap pictures? looks like the latter, which would make the idiot count significantly higher than just two.

I 'm ashamed that these individuals are from my great alma mater. Yes, they are idiots, but Penn State did not make them idiots. It's important to me to classify it like that because many will focus on the Penn State part of it.

Edited by Venus

well, two idiots who go to penn state, if we want to be slightly more precise. why is it so important to some of you to leave that part out? :D

and yeah, it was just two people, but how many others were at the party? did anyone confront them or ask them to leave or cover up? or did they just laugh and snap pictures? looks like the latter, which would make the idiot count significantly higher than just two.

Good and fair pts Az

yeah you are right we should condemn the university too.

well, two idiots who go to penn state, if we want to be slightly more precise. why is it so important to some of you to leave that part out? :shrug:

Because its not like Penn State held a pep rally that called for mandatory VT death costumes..It was 2 douschbags from their college and that shouldnt reflect the college as a whole..

We sure do expect a lot out of our young college students these days.

I read something like this and just think "what a bunch of dummies" and move on. I do find it quite crass and even though I can be quite cynical at times, I would never even think to do something like this. It doesn't change how I look at the Virginia Tech event or Penn State in general.

Our society, in my opinion, really fosters this kind of behavior as the more outrageous, the more press and the more shock value the better. People are so busy trying to be unique you get this kind of crap. Or, we just have so much coverage media-wise that the stupidity of people is just plastered everywhere all the time.

Long post to say, it doesn't surprise me that there are folks out there that find hughmor is something like the Viriginia Tech shootings and that is quite sad.

I 'm ashamed that these individuals are from my great alma mater. Yes, they are idiots, but Penn State did not make them idiots. It's important to me to classify it like that because many will focus on the Penn State part of it.

Agreeed.

Still, SOMEBODY should have to go on Dr. Phil and apologize for this.

We sure do expect a lot out of our young college students these days.

I read something like this and just think "what a bunch of dummies" and move on. I do find it quite crass and even though I can be quite cynical at times, I would never even think to do something like this. It doesn't change how I look at the Virginia Tech event or Penn State in general.

Our society, in my opinion, really fosters this kind of behavior as the more outrageous, the more press and the more shock value the better. People are so busy trying to be unique you get this kind of crap. Or, we just have so much coverage media-wise that the stupidity of people is just plastered everywhere all the time.

Long post to say, it doesn't surprise me that there are folks out there that find hughmor is something like the Viriginia Tech shootings and that is quite sad.

agreed, good post.

I am a Pitt fan and if anyone knows what that really means then you know that I blame Penn State for these two kids. It is mostly Joe Pa's fault and as a whole everyone of the 90,000 Penn State kids are in this together. That is my stance as a Pitt fan. :D

I am a Pitt fan and if anyone knows what that really means then you know that I blame Penn State for these two kids. It is mostly Joe Pa's fault and as a whole everyone of the 90,000 Penn State kids are in this together. That is my stance as a Pitt fan. :D

Good post

I heard that next year they have added Rockview onto their schedule, but as things are going they might not be able to field a team because a lot of the starters for PU may have to suit up for Rockview. :D

Wow mind-numbing stupidity in response; I'm shocked.

The next story I'd like to hear is how a group of PSU students got hold of these 2 and beat the living $#@! out of them. Then one is quoted: "it's not that we hate their guts or thought these thoughtless losers deserved it for such a disgusting act; it's that we're decent human beings and known for that in State College, so we 'had' to do something to prove it."

"We are appalled that these individuals would display this level of insensitivity, indifference, and lack of common decency and sense by dressing up in this manner," the school said.
Where has this dinosaur been the last 20-30ish years? We've been going farther and farther down that road that whole time. You're just not cool if you aren't "pushing the envelope." Who cares if the direction you push it is right down the sewer? What a prude!

Just because something is within the bounds of the Constitution and free speech, does not mean it should be undertaken.
??? Of COURSE it does. Freedom of speech shouldn't have any limits.......that friggin nazi....

This is like when those DJs (and a few people I saw on FF message boards; they might even post here) laughed about Nick Berg's brutal decapitation. Or when I told someone (well known to at least a few of you) that a co-worker miscarried and they made a joke about it. Horrible senseless deaths of innocent people are funny!!!! LOL!!!! blah etc

Right?

cmon get w/the times........again, it's all about being "on the edge" and "shock value." What, now suddenly we're going to backtrack and care about a sense of decency, consideration for others, and/or simple good taste and maturity? cmon......where's the fun in that?

These two people do not represent 90,000 Penn State students. They represent themselves.
OK that much he got right. Edited by BeeR