[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Patriots undefeated season

Chief Dick

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Patriots go through the regular season undefeated do you feel they need to validate it by winning the Super Bowl?

While a good accomplishment, to me it means nothing if you don't go out and finish it off. ICDHO.

No one counts any of the other teams that went undefeated during the season but lost in the post season. So yes, I would assume that they must go all the way to be counted as worthy team.

Review for me which teams those would be.

Well..... there are these two years.....

"In 1934, and again in 1942, the Bears posted undefeated and untied regular season records. Shocking losses suffered in the championship games in both seasons are what have kept their name from being mentioned in the same breath as the 1972 Miami Dolphins."

In 1929 Green Bay went undefeated, won the championship but had a tie. You have to go all the way or only be a regular season un-defeated team.

The AFL is not the NFL!! This is not reconized by the NFL. My town's HS went undefeated for 2 straight years, Should that count too in the NFL, NO!!

That being said, I think the Pats do need to win the superbowl for this to be historic. .

:D

The AFL? In 1972 Miami was in the NFL.

Edited by Randall

The AFL is not the NFL!! This is not reconized by the NFL. My town's HS went undefeated for 2 straight years, Should that count too in the NFL, NO!!
Pls tell us this is some inside joke.

NE isn't going to be stopped. The PIT game won't be close and the other 3 it's just a question of how bad they're slaughtered....then the playoffs is where they excel to say the least. Colts get credit for overcoming last year, but no way will they do it twice, assuming it gets that far, and there's no one else who is going to beat them. Maybe make it interesting for awhile at best. But they just hit their little "mini slump" and STILL won. Getting back on track means getting back to 52-20 games. Sucks but it's reality IMO.

That being said, I think the Pats do need to win the superbowl for this to be historic. .

W T H are you talking about?

Pls tell us this is some inside joke.

NE isn't going to be stopped. The PIT game won't be close and the other 3 it's just a question of how bad they're slaughtered....then the playoffs is where they excel to say the least. Colts get credit for overcoming last year, but no way will they do it twice, assuming it gets that far, and there's no one else who is going to beat them. Maybe make it interesting for awhile at best. But they just hit their little "mini slump" and STILL won. Getting back on track means getting back to 52-20 games. Sucks but it's reality IMO.

Remind me again why people hate New England and Cowboys fans.

I'll say what the others didn't bother becasue any real fan knows these things,

but the AFL was founded in 1960. The Bears seasons of '34 and '42 were done as members of the NFL. They ARE recognized as undefeated regular seasons. The problem is then there was only one playoff game, the Championship. They lost both years.

Next time, do a little research.

What's your point?:

Same Website

Undefeated seasons by the Bears

The Chicago Bears, charter members of the National Football League, were among the elite of the league in the early years. In fact, the Bears suffered just two losing seasons in its first 27 years. Along the way, they claimed seven league championships during that span (1920-1946).

There are two seasons during that time, however, that deserve attention. In 1934, and again in 1942, the Bears posted undefeated and untied regular season records. Shocking losses suffered in the championship games in both seasons are what have kept their name from being mentioned in the same breath as the 1972 Miami Dolphins (Related story: Undefeated Teams).

In 1934, the Bears were heavy favorites to win their third straight league title. The team opened the season at Green Bay where they made easy work of the Packers with a 24-10 win. More lopsided scores followed including three shutouts. The biggest scare of the season came against the Giants in New York on November 18. The Bears slipped past New York with a narrow 10-9 win with just three games remaining in the season. Chicago made history when they bested the Detroit Lions, 10-7, in the season finale.

Chicago finished the season with a 13-0 record as they outscored their opponents by a whopping 286-86. The Bears looked to cap the season with another victory over the Giants in the title game. However, the dreams of the NFL’s first “perfect” season went out the window when New York dominated the Bears, 30-13, in the championship game.

Eight seasons later, the same scenario presented itself to the “Monsters of the Midway.” The 1942 Bears were coming off of back-to-back championship seasons that included the famous 73-0 drubbing of the Washington Redskins in the 1940 NFL Championship Game, and a 37-9 manhandling of the Giants in the ’41 title game.

Unlike the first time, the Bears marched to a perfect 11-0 season without any bumps along the way. The narrowest margin of victory for Chicago all season was two touchdowns. The Bears outscored its opponents, 376-84.

But, yet again, the hopes of the league’s first undefeated, untied season ended when the Redskins clipped the Bears 14-6 in the 1942 championship game.

If the Patriots go through the regular season undefeated do you feel they need to validate it by winning the Super Bowl?

While a good accomplishment, to me it means nothing if you don't go out and finish it off. ICDHO.

I wouldn't use the word 'validate'. I would just say that the regular season is a launching pad to get into the SB, and winning that is the thing that is important. Regular season record is just icing on the cake.

"means nothing"???

I think you mean "means less"... :D

Sure, a loss in the playoffs would keep NE behind Miami in peoples minds. But, NE would still become the ONLY team EVER to go 16-0 in the regular season, which would mean SOMETHING.

NOBODY HAS EVER GONE 16-0 in the regular season in the entire history of the NFL!

If they take it all the way, and go 19-0, they won't 'join Miami', as Shula and the gang say--they will leap right over them!

First we have to beat the Steelers...:D

Gee... these say NFL

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1934.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1942.htm

And this is a link from NFL History:

http://www.nfl.com/history/chronology/1931-1940

and this one:

http://www.nfl.com/history/chronology/1941-1950

So I have no idea why one would think that the '34 and '42 Bears were not playing in the N F L.

Gee... these say NFL

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1934.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1942.htm

And this is a link from NFL History:

http://www.nfl.com/history/chronology/1931-1940

and this one:

http://www.nfl.com/history/chronology/1941-1950

So I have no idea why one would think that the '34 and '42 Bears were not playing in the N F L.

Mayhap 'one' is a dumbass, and this caused them to think as such :D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Well..... there are these two years.....

"In 1934, and again in 1942, the Bears posted undefeated and untied regular season records. Shocking losses suffered in the championship games in both seasons are what have kept their name from being mentioned in the same breath as the 1972 Miami Dolphins."

So sky, were those games close? Did you have good seats?

So sky, were those games close? Did you have good seats?

The '34 game was close until the Giants put on their 'sneakers'. LOL

The '42 game was close.... real close... but the 'Skins came through as I knew they would.

Seats were terrible. :D

No, the Bears were founding members of the NFL, and have always been in the NFL.

The '48 Browns were members of the AAFC before they joined the NFL.

I know that. I was referring to this.

The Cleveland Browns, then members of the All-America Football Conference finished 15-0 in 1948.

They all ready have validated an undefeated season by being a dynasty in the NFL before this season even started. They have all ready won a handful of Superbowls. They do not need one more to validate anything.

16-0 means nothing if you end ??-1. Superbowl or the whole season means nothing.