[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any runners out there

Grits and Shins

I would go to a running specific store, not a mall store etc... Have them fit you for a shoe, they should watch you run/jog and be able to suggest a shoe from there. Take their suggestion and pay the high price intially, then replace your shoes after six months or so

It all depends on your feet. Go to a running shoe store and have them watch how you walk and measure your feet and what not. They will recommend you a type of shoe that fits best with your foot, so probably a neutral or stability shoe. From that you should have a couple choices of shoes and then you can pick which one feels best.

I would go to a running specific store, not a mall store etc... Have them fit you for a shoe, they should watch you run/jog and be able to suggest a shoe from there. Take their suggestion and pay the high price intially, then replace your shoes after six months or so

lol, great minds think alike

If you don't do this, you'll regret it. Folks at a running store know what they're talking about. Good shoes help prevent injury. Don't overdo it at first.

I would go to the same place where I got my son his shoes. It is a place called Luke's Locker and is a store specifically for the runner.

Absolutely the right choice. Let them fit you make suggestions and pick one.

FWIW I'd buy the first set of shoes from them. You will probably pay more, but your paying for their expertise. After you find a shoe you like then if if you want to find deals do what you have to... Supporting the local shop always helps.

I would go to the same place where I got my son his shoes. It is a place called Luke's Locker and is a store specifically for the runner.

Luke's is definitely the place to go. They'll prolly steer you to a good pair of Asics or New Balance. I prefer Asics, but its personal preference. Regardless, you should get a new pair every 6-12 months if you run every day or two. Your shoes won't look like they need to be replaced, but they will.

Luke's is definitely the place to go. They'll prolly steer you to a good pair of Asics or New Balance. I prefer Asics, but its personal preference. Regardless, you should get a new pair every 6-12 months if you run every day or two. Your shoes won't look like they need to be replaced, but they will.

Good info here.

You don't need to pay the high price of a store that "specializes" in running shoes. Even at the mall many shoe stores check your running gait and how your foot rolls through the motion of a step. Then you tailor your shoe to your foot (i.e. wide foot, small, need arch support) and if you prefer more or less support in the front or back or in the arch. With the innernets, it is fairly easy to educate yourself on the particulars of anything you are considering...with the Huddle being the first stop, of course!

Long post to say, you can't go wrong with Asics or New Balance in the $60-$80 range. Running shoes are well worth it since they really do make a difference in how your lower back, knees, ankles, and arches feel. When I started running many moons ago, I started out in my basketball shoes and couldn't understand why my whole lower body hurt! :D Anyway, the next day, went out and got some New Balances and was shocked at the difference.

From personal experiences using this shoe, I'd recommend any Reebok running shoes with DMX technology. The "DMX technology" is essentially cushions of moving air in the sole of the shoe or inside an insole, providing less impact on your bones, etc. for each step. It kind of reminds me of those NASA mattress pads that conform to your body. I'd suggest even trying on shoes without DMX technology, and then try the DMX tech shoes. You'll notice the difference, it's amazing.

Blitz Jr. is taking up cross country at school ... he wants me to train/run with him.

Last time I toyed with running a bit it was hard on my back.

Can anybody recommend a good pair of shoes?

Been down this road. I lasted 2 days before he left me in the dust for good. :D

Still have the shoes though. :D

I was under the impression that the people at the running shoe store can really help you best if you provide them with a shoe you've already been running in for a bit - by observing the wear and tear, they draw conclusions about how you run and then outfit you accordingly. Any truth to this?

Go to a running store. Having the right shoes is critical to avoid all kinds of issues/injuries. I can't stress this enough. They'll check your feet and your gait and be able to make recommendations. They should also have a treadmill where you can try running with the shoes. I wouldn't be able to recommend a brand because it totally depends on the individual. I run in Mizuno Wave Creations, and I love them, but they only fit a certain foot type and runner type.

One more thing, stretch before and after you run, that's another key to avoiding injuries.

Running shoes should be replaced every 250 miles or so, just FYI. If you run them too long, you increase the chance of injuries. And make sure you get good running socks, that'll avoid potential blistering issues. Good running socks have little or no cotton, they'll obviously have these at the running store.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

I was under the impression that the people at the running shoe store can really help you best if you provide them with a shoe you've already been running in for a bit - by observing the wear and tear, they draw conclusions about how you run and then outfit you accordingly. Any truth to this?

Yep, if you've run in shoes, and they're not working for you for whatever reason, bring them along when you go to the running store. They'll measure your foot, check your gait, and check the wear patterns on your old shoes, all of that will allow them to make recommendations.

Yep, if you've run in shoes, and they're not working for you for whatever reason, bring them along when you go to the running store. They'll measure your foot, check your gait, and check the wear patterns on your old shoes, all of that will allow them to make recommendations.

Check your gait :D

I laughed because HORSES have gaits :D