[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OK All you Whisky Lovers what's the best

JoJoTheWebToedBoy

For a good single malt Scotch, I like the Macallan (sherry casks make a huge difference IMHO). The 12 year is fine, and not too spendy. I also like the Balvenie a lot.

Otherwise if I'm mixing a drink, I like a decent Canadian whiskey... my preference is Seagrams.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Scotch and Scotland. Everywhere over there serves it with water (on the side). Even though they say it helps release the flavor I can't bring myself to dilute such a fine drink.

This is correct. All of the tastings I've been to they give you a small bottle of water. It's not a matter of diluting it, the water cuts through the initial alcohol bite you get and releases the flavors of the scotch - honey, butterscotch, nut, etc. You just add about a tablespoon or a quick pour. I was a little hesitant at first but it really allowed me to "taste" the components of each whisky.

For a good single malt Scotch, I like the Macallan (sherry casks make a huge difference IMHO). The 12 year is fine, and not too spendy. I also like the Balvenie a lot.

Macallan would be a good one to try if you're just starting to try out single malts. It's not too harsh and the 12 year is excellent. I've had a bottle of the 18 year once and it was awesome.

You might also add some ice if you're just starting which will cut the intensity a little. That's kind of what I did. As I drank more I grew to appreciate the flavors and gradually phased out the ice alltogether.

Here are some notes I took on a tasting back in 05:

The Whiskys:

Bladnoch, Lowland, 12 year, The Breakfast Malt

The lightest of the group. A good drink to start the morning off on. Flowery, vanilla nose with a nutty buttery taste and a white pepper finish. This distillery is now closed and no longer produces.

Glenturret, Speyside, 12 year

Sulfur, iodine nose, piney finish

Strathmill, Speyside 10 year

Sherry profile due to the whisky aged in sherry casks. Sweet taste mid-palette with a white pepper finish. Peat was added during the final stages.

Mortlach, Glenlivet area

Honey nose, vanilla-honey mid-palette, pepper finish. Side note: Cannot buy anywhere and it was Winston Churchills preferred drink

Edradour, Highland 10 year

Butterscotch nose with an inital taste of butter and raisin. Slight sweet finish due to the aging in Sherry casks. My personal favorite - bought 4 bottle at $57 a piece

Imperial, Speyside 15 year (unchill filter)

Interesting nose, I was picking up a banana nose. Very intriguing. Mid palette I picked up a slight pear taste with the sharp finish something leafy which I couldn't quite place.

Clynelish, N. HIghland, 10 year

Very salty medicinal nose. The initial taste contradicted that with a slight honeysuckle taste. I couldn't pick much up on the finish because I forgot to add a little water.

Benriach, Speyside 12 year. closed in 1890 but reopened in the 60's I think

Smokey nose. Medicinal flavor on the initial palette. I really fely like I had just drank some liquid smoke. It's a very rich and agressive whisky which actually left my mouth a little dry afterwards.

Bowmore, Islay, 12 year

Another favorite, bought 3 bottles at $52 a piece

One of the first legal distilleries in Islay. Salty and sea-like nose. Butterscotch sherry nose with the initial taste that lingered around a pear. The sherry flavor lingered throughout the mid palette and the finish. This was the most flavorful of the group, pepper, salt, seaweed(?) with a very long smokey finish. I was very intrigued with the combination of the sweet sherry flavor and spicy finish.

ETA: I was walking sideways after this tasting as usual.

Edited by twiley

This is correct. All of the tastings I've been to they give you a small bottle of water. It's not a matter of diluting it, the water cuts through the initial alcohol bite you get and releases the flavors of the scotch - honey, butterscotch, nut, etc. You just add about a tablespoon or a quick pour. I was a little hesitant at first but it really allowed me to "taste" the components of each whisky.

wurd

I've been sipping off of an 89 Bowmore, a 90 Imperial Speyside, a 96 Edradour, and a 98 Ardbeg.

I've got quite a few bottles of Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, and Macallan but keep turning to the lesser known producers of Scotland.

yup im running threw the lesser known stuff from my favorite store... some good stuff can be had at the 30 and 40 range...

Another vote for Woodford. One of my favorites!

As far as Scotch goes, my favorite is in one of my friends basements in Florida. It's a Solera that he started 20 plus years ago in an old Sherry cask. Whenever he pours a glass he pours premium aged scotch into the barrel.... Yummy!!

Edited by sundaynfl

I'm not a big drinker anymore, when I was I more preferred Bud Light & a freezing bottle of Jaeger to anything else. However as I'm getting older my tastes have evolved into trying the finer things. Whiskey has been one thing I've hesitated on because I've never had anything better than Gentleman Jack and Crown. Crown was ok, but I always found the flavors a bit too rough for my tastes. To me before whiskey was a thing for old guys & mixed drinks, but lately I've been wanting to give it a real shot (no pun intended). Anyone have something that will not break the bank & should give me a very good starting point to enlighten my taste buds?

Whiskey is my drink of preference, so I don't always have the top shelf hooch sitting around. Pendleton is a very affordable whiskey in the "Canadian" style that puts Crown to shame. As for Scotch, I personally prefer Sheep Dip over all others, including some very high end stuff I've had. Fortunately, my unrefined tastes save me a bunch of $.

An excellent Scotch Whiskey should be taken neat. However, I have been known to put one ice cube in a glass with a double shot once in awhile. One should never ruin a decent S..W.. with a cola or 7-up or grape juice or orange juice or anything else. (Those things are for regular whiskey.) Just the thought sends shivers through my system. Of course a nice Irish Coffee works on wintery days. LOL

As far as any blended swill you may purchase.... the more mixer you add to it the better off you are. :D Preferrabley something like 9 parts mixer to 1 part swill.

Swill = Chevis, JW, etc. (Sorry Nick.) In fact... all blended Scotch is something to stay away from.

When we were stationed in Scotland we tended to drink Bells as our everyday whiskey. Inexpensive and not bad at all with a pint on the side. :D

My fave of all time.....Loch Dhu.....

Black as coal and smoother than a cheerleader's thighs. But at over $150/litre, can't afford it any more. Used to be in the $50 range. :D

Other than that....Dimple Pinch is a very good blend (I know sky and I disagree on blends) and Sheep Dip is a very reasonable Malt and fairly smooth.

Black as coal and smoother than a cheerleader's thighs. But at over $150/litre, can't afford it any more. Used to be in the $50 range. :D

Other than that....Dimple Pinch is a very good blend (I know sky and I disagree on blends) and Sheep Dip is a very reasonable Malt and fairly smooth.

The loch du looks good

The sheep dip well :D

Loch Dhu is good stuff. Me and a friend sat around one night and practically finished off a bottle.

He still had 6 left too. :D

I should also mention that while his business was open he had the largest publicly available Whisky selection in the state, probably midwest. Now he just has the largest privately held selection. :wacko:

For a good single malt Scotch, I like the Macallan (sherry casks make a huge difference IMHO). The 12 year is fine, and not too spendy.

Macallan fan here as well. I also enjoy Laphoraig (very distinct "peaty" flavor). The single-malts from the Scottish Highlands are top-notch overall.

For casual, inexpensive drinking I usually drink Jack or Jameson.

Macallan fan here as well. I also enjoy Laphoraig (very distinct "peaty" flavor). The single-malts from the Scottish Highlands are top-notch overall.

For casual, inexpensive drinking I usually drink Jack or Jameson.

Laphoraig is very smokey and medicinal. I can only enjoy a bit at a time. Good stuff though.

I like the peaty scotches so I drink more Lagavulin than anything. The distillers edition (which may be impossible to get in the states) is top notch but the 16 is my go-to....it's much easier to get.

I like the Macallan 18 more than the 12. The 25 rocks.

Another that I haven't seen mentioned: Caol Ila: Another of my favorites.

Glen Garioch 15 is a good highland scotch. THere are some good Highland Parks as well.

I'm thirsty now.

Laphoraig is very smokey and medicinal. I can only enjoy a bit at a time. Good stuff though.

How is the flavor of Laphoraig compared to Lagavulin? I've tried the Lagavulin once in the past and wasn't that big of a fan of the smoke flavor. Perhaps it was because it was the 3rd or 4th drink of the night and would be better as a stand alone?

Bourbon: If you put a gun to my head an told me I could only ever have one bourbon for the rest of my life, I would have to choose between Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve, with the Woodford getting the nod in the end.

Scotch: If I had to drink one scotch it would be easy. Balvenie Doublewood 12 year old Single Malt scotch

Irish Whiskey: I will admit to not being particularly picky here, Tullamore Dew, Jamesons, or Bushmills all do the trick

Rye: Sazerac is easily my favorite.

Both good bourbons... Balla and I met the niece of the Woodford Reserve owner. :wacko:

I like Jameson's and Bushmills.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with Jack Daniels or Crown, too. :D

E2A: JoJo, your sigline is ridiculous. :D

Edited by darin3

Both good bourbons... Balla and I met the niece of the Woodford Reserve owner. :wacko:

I like Jameson's and Bushmills.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with Jack Daniels or Crown, too. :D

E2A: JoJo, your sigline is ridiculous. :D

Thanks folks..... Friend of mine gave me a great bottle of Rum a few months back so I thought I would repay the favor since he's a Whiskey drinker, I would be willing to spend up to a Bill for a good bottle, but I don't drink it, so I had no clue.

Darin..... Just a little over the top??????

Edited by JoJoTheWebToedBoy