[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crappy cashiers

MojoMan

American cashiers are frickin brain dead.

My first job was at Burger King (back in the day when normal high school kids worked there, not retired people and immigrants-yeah, I'm old). I quickly "worked" my way up to cashier. My store manager had some rules for cashiers.

1. Even though, back in the Stone Age we had the "cash tendered" function, she forbade its use. You had to count change manually. Counting change manually does not require the intellect of Steven Hawking. It is really a mechanical process...you might have to be able to add or subtract a few cents in your head.

2. She insisted that we place the bill tendered by the customer, in full view, on the cash tray. That way, if there was a dispute about how much money was tendered, it was obvious.

3. She insisted that all bills be face up and placed in the same direction in the cash drawer. She never explained why but I think that the extra 5 seconds it takes to do this ensured that you looked at each bill carefully and didn't stick a 10 in the 5 slot.

4. She taught us to place the coins into the customers hands, followed by the bills.

Now cashiers are so gosh darned brain dead that they break all of these rules.

1. They always use cash tendered. At least 25% of the time, they're so dumb they can't even count the money you tendered accurately or they input the amount wrong, leading to massive confusion on their part.

2. They stick the bill in the cash tray. Then, when #1 happens, they can't reconstruct events.

3. Not that important but I like to keep my snaps nice and neat and orderly for my drug deals.

4. It pisses the hell out of me when my coins go sliding all over the place because the cashier doesn't even know how to return change to me.

Rant over.

Edited by MojoMan

The thing that gets me when I'm at the register is when the transaction just doesn't happen. Here I am, standing with my twenty and whatever thing I'm looking to buy and it gets bogged down right then. They need a stupid code or something. It's always something. I have this rant memorized in case I ever snap:

"Everyone who works here, works for this moment. From the guy who sweeps the warehouse, to the accountant that cooks the books, to the CEO who does god-knows-what. They're all doing what they do to lead up to this moment, where I hand over my money to you and walk away with this freaking ipod skin. We've driven all the way down the field. Everyone did what they needed to do to get us to this point, the goal line is right in front of us. :DFor gawdsakes! Take my freaking money and kick the damned PAT! "

I never understood the "bills in the hand first, then the change on top of it" thing. Is it so all the money is in sight of the customer? If the change goes into the hand first and is then covered by the bills, it does make it easier for the cashier to short the customer. However, this always results in change flying all over the place. And let's be honest, who double checks the change anyway? I never ever do. I say we go back to change in the hand first, then the bills. This is how we rearrange it anyway as soon as the transaction is over.

Wow, I just read this over, and I think we have a frontrunner for POTY!!

:D

I fear for the fate of the world based on my experiences at the register. Rudimentary math skills and common courtesy are evidently now just lore from the past.

And no, I still will never use self-service checkout. :D

I never understood the "bills in the hand first, then the change on top of it" thing. Is it so all the money is in sight of the customer? If the change goes into the hand first and is then covered by the bills, it does make it easier for the cashier to short the customer. However, this always results in change flying all over the place. And let's be honest, who double checks the change anyway? I never ever do. I say we go back to change in the hand first, then the bills. This is how we rearrange it anyway as soon as the transaction is over.

Wow, I just read this over, and I think we have a frontrunner for POTY!!

:D

I think its to prevent skin-on-skin interaction. I kinda get skeeved when the cashier touches my hand when they give me change... :D

I have to run the register at my work now when we're slammed and I've been in retail/restaurant types businesses most of my life. My favorite thing is when I'm at the grocery store or some other place and the following happens:

My bill will be something like $10.34 or $15.46. I'll give the cashier $21.00 so I get a 10 or a 5 back with the change instead of more 1's clogging my wallet. Some cashiers will look at you like "why are you giving me too much money?". Then you have to explain why and they're still dumbfounded. The more and more transaction that are paid with debit/credit, the harder it will be for cashiers to figure out how to make change.

I have to run the register at my work now when we're slammed and I've been in retail/restaurant types businesses most of my life. My favorite thing is when I'm at the grocery store or some other place and the following happens:

My bill will be something like $10.34 or $15.46. I'll give the cashier $21.00 so I get a 10 or a 5 back with the change instead of more 1's clogging my wallet. Some cashiers will look at you like "why are you giving me too much money?". Then you have to explain why and they're still dumbfounded. The more and more transaction that are paid with debit/credit, the harder it will be for cashiers to figure out how to make change.

The ironic thing is that the cashier does this 8 hours a day. How the heck can the cashier not know that sometimes, when the customer gives him/her an "odd" amount, it ends up that the change is a more even amount?

You all need to start scamming them!! (I think it was Tatum O 'Niell in Paper Moon?) Have a freind pay with a $100 that has something written on it, then after your friend is done you pay for what you buy with a $10 ...argue that you gave him a $100 for a while, then ask for the manager; recite Dets rant ,then tell him what's written on the back of the $100!

:D i was gonna post this same thing. when we lived in new york, we were in constant need of quarters for the laundry machines. so when i'd pay for something that was, say, $10.30, i would give the cashier $21.05, so that i'd get a $10 bill and three quarters. typically they'd look at me like i just tried to pay them in wampum.

I don't really have these problems where I shop (mostly Whole Foods and Trader Joes). But the cashiers at my local Safeway are frequently working harder on texting or chating with one another than they are at ringing me up. And that's very annoying.

Frankly, I'm more irritated that it takes me a half hour+ just to grab a six-pack of beer because the lines are so long, compared to the cashier getting my change wrong. I'm at the point where, if its just for an item or two, I'd rather let Apu gouge me for an extra buck than wait in line for 20 minutes while I pretend not to stare at the tabloid covers and/or cashiers' tits.

Edited by yo mama

But the cashiers at my local Safeway are frequently working harder on texting or chating with one another than they are at ringing me up. And that's very annoying.

My son had a respiratory infection about a month ago and I was picking up his antibiotics from the local Walgreens pharmacy. The little punk student pharmacist had the balls to tell me to hold on while he finished up his text message when I walked up to the counter. I told him I'd break his f'ing fingers if he didn't ring me out ASAP becuase I had my wife and a sick kid in my car. He just stared at me and I was halfway across the counter ready to punch him. I guess the actual pharmacist overheard what went on and he stepped in and apologized. I've been back a few times but I haven't seen that particular student.

FWIW, my short fuse was largely in part to me having a killer ear infection, no dinner, it was 9pm, and spent close to 3 hours at the doctors office while they ran tests and did a culture on my son who was screaming the entire time.