[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Egret needs a new cell phone

Egret

I just canceled my contract for spite. That's right, spite. Now I have a few weeks to find a new provider or sign up as a new account. My current provider gives better deals to new customers rather than returning customers. They offered me some good deals to stay, but I figured I'd check things out. I use around 300 minutes per month.

I've been using this phone for a few years now. I don't need anything crazy. I could care less about a camera. I'd like to be able to check my email, but it's not necessary. I used this brick of a phone before. I don't every want to use anything like it again... although I still keep it around as a kick-ass NES emulator.

Anyone know any good plans or deals? I can get the Sprint SERO deal that has 500 minutes per month with data, text, picture mail, etc for $30 per month. Should I go with that?

I just canceled my contract for spite. That's right, spite. Now I have a few weeks to find a new provider or sign up as a new account. My current provider gives better deals to new customers rather than returning customers. They offered me some good deals to stay, but I figured I'd check things out. I use around 300 minutes per month.

I've been using this phone for a few years now. I don't need anything crazy. I could care less about a camera. I'd like to be able to check my email, but it's not necessary. I used this brick of a phone before. I don't every want to use anything like it again... although I still keep it around as a kick-ass NES emulator.

Anyone know any good plans or deals? I can get the Sprint SERO deal that has 500 minutes per month with data, text, picture mail, etc for $30 per month. Should I go with that?

I don't give advice to people who post in the 3rd person.

:D

Only the headline is third person. Egret figured most people would skip over a random cell phone thread. Egret figured most people would respond to a thread about Egret. :D

Edited by Egret

I like my Motorola Q. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do on it that you can't do on the Samsung Blackjack.

Both of them run Windows Mobile (read: NES Emulator!), but neither of them are those huge ass bricks with the big touch screens.

Just got myself the new Pearl from Blackberry. So far so good. Excellent battery life, nice and small, great camera, e-mail, synchronizes with Microsoft Outlook, probably the best device I've had in a while, and I go through cell phones like Furd goes through paper bags.

Just got myself the new Pearl from Blackberry. So far so good. Excellent battery life, nice and small, great camera, e-mail, synchronizes with Microsoft Outlook, probably the best device I've had in a while, and I go through cell phones like Furd goes through paper bags.

:D

+1 I've also had good luck with Verizon's coverage in my area.

I like my Motorola Q. I'm not sure if there is anything you can do on it that you can't do on the Samsung Blackjack.

Both of them run Windows Mobile (read: NES Emulator!), but neither of them are those huge ass bricks with the big touch screens.

I would not buy a Q. The battery life is ridiculous and there's a good chance you get one that has problems on top of battery issues. Windows Mobile is horrible.

And on the other hand, the Blackberry product is solid. They pioneered the handheld PDA phone and obviously know what they're doing. Excellent battery life as Hugh said and the email setup couldn't be easier - even corporate email accounts. I too have had a good number of cells in my life and this is one of the best. The only negative is that my Blackberry model (8703) does not have a camera. However, unlike the Pearl, it has a full QWERTY keyboard whereas the Pearl has a keyboard that has two letters per button.

However, unlike the Pearl, it has a full QWERTY keyboard whereas the Pearl has a keyboard that has two letters per button.

The two letters per button comes with this thing they call "suretype". It's a tad awkward at first, but after about a day I was able to type as fast on it as I could on a full keyboard. It's very easy to use. And obviously because of the smaller keyboard, the unit itself is VERY small. Not much bigget than the LG8700 flip phone that I had before, which is about the same size as the RazR.

The two letters per button comes with this thing they call "suretype". It's a tad awkward at first, but after about a day I was able to type as fast on it as I could on a full keyboard. It's very easy to use. And obviously because of the smaller keyboard, the unit itself is VERY small. Not much bigget than the LG8700 flip phone that I had before, which is about the same size as the RazR.

:D maybe I should trade mine in for a Pearl.

I would not buy a Q. The battery life is ridiculous and there's a good chance you get one that has problems on top of battery issues. Windows Mobile is horrible.

And on the other hand, the Blackberry product is solid. They pioneered the handheld PDA phone and obviously know what they're doing. Excellent battery life as Hugh said and the email setup couldn't be easier - even corporate email accounts. I too have had a good number of cells in my life and this is one of the best. The only negative is that my Blackberry model (8703) does not have a camera. However, unlike the Pearl, it has a full QWERTY keyboard whereas the Pearl has a keyboard that has two letters per button.

What, do you work for RIM? :D

My battery life was fine. I ended up buying an extended battery because I'm lazy and I forget to charge it for days at a time. It was cheap.

The original silver Q's had firmware problems back in 2006, but neither me or my coworker has ever had a problem with our black Qs.

I agree that Windows is not my favoroite operating system, but it's better than some (non-Apple) totally proprietary operating system. How many well-developed 3rd party apps do you have on your precious Blackberry? A better web browser? An NES emulator? A VPN client and a linux shell tool? I have all those things! Take your crappy proprietary OS and blow it out your ass! You SUCK, Darin!!!!!!!!

I got a little carried away at the end there. Sorry.

I have friends that have blackberries and they complain that it is very sensitive to temperature and humidity. Do you find this to be the case as well?

I have a treo 650. It's okay.....

If I had to get a new phone and gtting it trough my company wasn't part of the equation I would get an iPhone....but I know I am biased :D The new phones from Verizon that look like they are intended to be iPhone copycats with extra features look nice...

:D maybe I should trade mine in for a Pearl.

If you do a LOT of typing then the bigger keyboard is probably better but I've gotten used to the suretype as well and can do basic emails pretty easy. For me the small size is much more important than the keyboard.

I have friends that have blackberries and they complain that it is very sensitive to temperature and humidity. Do you find this to be the case as well?

I've never had problems with that though mine doesn't see very much in terms of extreme conditions.

What, do you work for RIM? :D

My battery life was fine. I ended up buying an extended battery because I'm lazy and I forget to charge it for days at a time. It was cheap.

The original silver Q's had firmware problems back in 2006, but neither me or my coworker has ever had a problem with our black Qs.

I agree that Windows is not my favoroite operating system, but it's better than some (non-Apple) totally proprietary operating system. How many well-developed 3rd party apps do you have on your precious Blackberry? A better web browser? An NES emulator? A VPN client and a linux shell tool? I have all those things! Take your crappy proprietary OS and blow it out your ass! You SUCK, Darin!!!!!!!!

I got a little carried away at the end there. Sorry.

I had the original, silver Q. 'Cuz I'm cool like dat. I too had the "extended battery", which sucked. The unit would turn off by itself and there's no way it'd operate for an entire day. I have heard that the next generation Qs are better in terms of battery life.

That still doesn't account for Winblows Mobile sucking, which it does. It's deathly slow. I would be typing something and it'd take several seconds to catch up. I don't type THAT fast. 3rd party web-apps? Who cares? I don't sit on the can playing solitaire. And actually, there are a TON of solid web-apps that I've found. And actually, the web browser on the Blackberry tears Winblows Mobile a new one. Period.

Edit to add: Not only that, but Microsloth thought it would be better to keep the applications running in the background, sort of like their normal OS. Uh, this simply does not work for a mobile-sized processor. FYI, go to task manager and kill all your applications every so often. It'll save some battery life. I mean, it's not like applications open that much faster 'cuz they're open in the background. :D

I don't need VPN, Linux, Triforce or a flux capacitor. I use my phone for corporate and my own LLC's email. It was easy as pie to set those accounts up. Setting them up on the Q had me on the phone with "high level" tech support several times, totaling a few hours' worth of jibber-jabber.

Blackberry wins, IMO.

I have a treo 650. It's okay.....

If I had to get a new phone and gtting it trough my company wasn't part of the equation I would get an iPhone....but I know I am biased :D The new phones from Verizon that look like they are intended to be iPhone copycats with extra features look nice...

My Mom likes her Treo but the buttons were somewhat small for my sausage fingers.

The iPhone does look trick, but what's the cost right now? And only on AT&T. It would be a hassle for me to switch over, unfortunately.

I got my Blackberry about a month ago so I'm not sure how it reacts to extreme temperature/humidity. What, exactly, have you heard in this regard?

If you do a LOT of typing then the bigger keyboard is probably better but I've gotten used to the suretype as well and can do basic emails pretty easy. For me the small size is much more important than the keyboard.

I've never had problems with that though mine doesn't see very much in terms of extreme conditions.

I do a lot of typing. I'm gonna stick with my basic Blackberry now and deal with not having a camera phone... I mean, I was only using it to send pictures of beer to twiley. :wacko:

Edited by darin3

I disagree. I just bought the Samsung i-760 with windows mobile 6.0 pro it has outlook, excel, word and I absolutely love it. The phone kicks butt too.

Well maybe the tweaks they made to the "pro" version have fixed the issues. But I wasn't about to trade my piece of crap Q in for another/new Q after all the issues I had. :D

MuddyPaws thinks Egret should go with the SERO plan with unlimited text messages and data, lol.

I actually switched to Verizon for 2 weeks and went back to Sprint for the SERO plan and a Palm Centro.

I'm loving it. FWIW - I did not notice difference between Verizon and Sprint, until I got the Centro and it got the best reception.

You said you didn't want a pocket pc or that phone? If that phone I'd rec the Centro. I like the phone itself as well as the PDA function.

SERO rocks best deal I've seen anywhere published or not.

Detractor for the RIM is the monthly fee $20 or so a month, if push e-mail is a requirement ChatterMail on a Centro will do that function for $40 once.