[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Grammar Patrol

Egret

I read this book a few years ago. I hate seeing grammar mistakes becoming the norm instead of the exception. I was typing today when my email spell checker told me that I spelled a word wrong. I didn't spell it wrong.

The word was: James's. Apparently the spell checker is fine with James'. That's wrong. When using an apostrophe to show possession on a singular word that ends in s, you still add s after the apostrophe. I've seen this apostrophe usage creeping into acceptable use. Stop the madness! :D

A kid was just asking me about that the other day at work.

We work with retail stores who's names often end in s, either plural or possessive.

So, the system at Pep Boys would be Pep Boys' system, because it's plural possessive? Or does the fact that "Boys" is part of a singular location make it different since the "boys" is not actually referring to multiple things?

But what if it's a possessive possessive? Like Ruth's Chris Steak House. The "Ruth's" part is possessive already. Would it be Ruth's's system?

I read this book a few years ago. I hate seeing grammar mistakes becoming the norm instead of the exception. I was typing today when my email spell checker told me that I spelled a word wrong. I didn't spell it wrong.

The word was: James's. Apparently the spell checker is fine with James'. That's wrong. When using an apostrophe to show possession on a singular word that ends in s, you still add s after the apostrophe. I've seen this apostrophe usage creeping into acceptable use. Stop the madness! :D

al i can say is WOW .... cum back to the third roke from the son please...

We work with retail stores who's names often end in s, either plural or possessive.

So, the system at Pep Boys would be Pep Boys' system, because it's plural possessive? Or does the fact that "Boys" is part of a singular location make it different since the "boys" is not actually referring to multiple things?

But what if it's a possessive possessive? Like Ruth's Chris Steak House. The "Ruth's" part is possessive already. Would it be Ruth's's system?

Pep Boys' system

Ruth's system or Ruth's Chris Steak House's system

:D

al i can say is WOW .... cum back to the third roke from the son please...

Amazingly, your grammar rules are very consistent. :D Yukonese is a rule based system: limited punctuation, capitalization, and proper spelling. There's no intent to present it as proper English.

I have grammar issues.. Then and than I still have trouble with even though it was explained to me. Usage of commas..Usage of quotes. also when using quotes if its a question does the ? come after or before the closing quotation mark ? example . So hugh one said " who doesnt love man spray ? " or is it "Who doesnt love man spray" ? I also have trouble with effect and affect.

Edited by whomper

whose

I correct because I care.

I have grammar issues.. Then and than I still have trouble with even though it was explained to me. Usage of commas..Usage of quotes. also when using quotes if its a question does the ? come after or before the closing quotation mark ? example . So hugh one said " who doesnt love man spray ? " or is it "Who doesnt love man spray" ? I also have trouble with effect and affect.

Yer an idiot.

:D At least you used the double period instead of the double question mark. :D

:wacko: At least you used the double period instead of the double question mark. :D

:D True. Wiegie gave me a justified hard time once because I didnt have space between my sentences so I developed the double period because I am too lazy to hit the space bar.

Edited by whomper

:D That was a lot easier then answering any of my questions

Here's one.

Effect is a noun, affect is a verb. Example:

The effect of the NY Giants win on Sunday was to cause several Cowboys fans to jump from high buildings.

or, put another way,

Cowboys fans were greatly affected by the NY Giants win on Sunday, so much so that they leaped from high buildings.

Here's one.

The effect of the NY Giants win on Sunday was to cause several Cowboys fans to jump from high buildings.

or, put another way,

Cowboys fans were greatly affected by the NY Giants win on Sunday, so much so that they leaped from high buildings.

that was evil ..but funny :D

Here's one.

or, put another way,

:D