[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

staying power

tonorator

the thread about the bands in the 80's got me thinking about those rock bands that have stood the test of time, putting out good music for several decades. you have the beatles, stones, who, zep megabands that date back to the 60s and 70s up to bands like U2, rem, green day, etc. who started in the 80s and continue up to today. what bands do you see out there today that have started up in the last 5 or even 10 years that you would expect would still be rocking strong 10 to 20 years from now? have we become a world of one or two hit wonders?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, the first thing you have to get straight is that REM has never put out any good music.

The second thing is that the music industry has reasserted control over the bands and stiffles any attempt at longevity. It gives the bands too much power. Only bands that self publish their music will have any type of longevity.

OK, the first thing you have to get straight is that REM has never put out any good music.

i like a lot of their stuff, especially earlier stuff. you can sub in radiohead if you like ... they continue to be awesome but have been around for some time now ...

:wacko: With good reason as they haven't put anything decent out for over 30 years

whether their stuff is still good or not, they have had staying power. what modern bands look they will still be putting out music 20 years from now? good or not, bands like genesis, rush, yes, and others have been able to keep cranking stuff out. i have a hard time seeing many of the bands of today being built to last like this.

oasis has been offered up, but they actually formed in 91 giving them over 15 years of already being around. i was wondering about bands in the 5 year range and would even reach that to 10 years ...

heck, even the white stripes are now 10 years old.

fixed.

I know of a few. Can you elaborate ? Many classic rock bands throw a cover in here or there but I dont see the Crowes abusing this trend unless I am missing something.

I am not sure how long ago they came out but people really seem to feel Tool is the real deal. I havent heard a great deal of their stuff but everything I have heard has been pretty damn good

I am not sure how long ago they came out but people really seem to feel Tool is the real deal. I havent heard a great deal of their stuff but everything I have heard has been pretty damn good

They actually met up in LA in the late 80's and put out an EP in 1992 but their first full-length album came out in 1993.

Edited by darin3

formed in 93.

eta: debut record in 96. still too old.

I don't really listen to contemporary popular music.

I only listen to new bands if Club, Darin, or Detlef, or the kid at work recommend them, and they all have weird taste.

Sometimes I find new bands from commercials on TV... like Flying Machines.

From the 80s, but not currently mentioned:

- Elvis Costello

- Charlie Daniels Band (he still tours, last I checked)

- Elton John (not my cup of tea, but he's still popular with some)

- Lenny Kravitz (not nearly as cool as he once was, but he's still making music)

- Madonna (see Elton John)

- Tom Petty (see Lenny Kravitz)

- Prince (hey, the guy is crazy-talented)

- U2 (probably the strongest current band from the 80s, besides maybe the Stones and Van Halen)

- Weird Al (he'll be doing his thing until he dies)

-