[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle Gardeners and general business owners

whomper

I am seriously thinking of starting a very small side gig this spring. I was talking to a woman whose kid goes to school with my daughter and we got on the subject of Gardens. She wants a vegetable Garden but didnt know how to get one started and didnt really want to start from scratch. Then it dawned on me. Why dont I start up a little side project of setting up peoples gardens ? I know the garden purist wouldnt even think of letting someone else set them up but people that like the idea of a garden but dont have the energy/ time/ Know how on setting one up might like the idea of someone doing it for them. They would show me the spot and dimensions and I would Till, buy all the soil, lay the soil , set the stakes and chicken wire to keep out the animals, plant (if they want me too) and put the cones up. I have never had my own business. I know a few of you do. Some on a bigger scale then others. My question is. How much do you think I should mark up the supplies and what would you think is a fair rate for the complete job aside from what I tack on to the supplies ? Also for the huddle Gardeners anything you would like to add I would appreciate (tips, possible pitfalls etc ) Thanks in advance all.

Edited by whomper

You could work for an hourly rate plus materials. I have a Handyman business that I do on the side. I will work either by the hour or for a set fee depending on the job. Do not sell your time short. I would call around to see what the rate is in your area for gardenng type work. Since you are first starting out you could easily underbid your labor time and take a beating if you do the job at a set price. You should have some idea though to give a reasonable estimate. Be sure you include your time spent for getting supplies, this could add up fast. Also, if you plan on paying taxes you have to include that in yur rate.

Edited by Footballjoe

Gardens can be a lot of work. I believe you will get certain percentage of people who think that if somebody just planted it they will have the time to take care of it and never do. Fast forward a month and whomper gets a call at 7:50 am on Saturday morning expecting you to come look at a problem. Once people shell out a few hundred dollars for a garden you're on the hook. This type of "side gig" may take up a lot of free time.

Maybe you should take the leap and start up a landscape and landscape design business that specializes in veggie gardens. People who are willing to pay you to plant a garden are also willing to pay you to take care of their garden. Pretty easy up sell to say, for $35-$50 dollars a week I'll come by and adjust water, weed and put the ripe veggies in a basket on your porch.

Gardens can be a lot of work. I believe you will get certain percentage of people who think that if somebody just planted it they will have the time to take care of it and never do. Fast forward a month and whomper gets a call at 7:50 am on Saturday morning expecting you to come look at a problem. Once people shell out a few hundred dollars for a garden you're on the hook. This type of "side gig" may take up a lot of free time.

Maybe you should take the leap and start up a landscape and landscape design business that specializes in veggie gardens. People who are willing to pay you to plant a garden are also willing to pay you to take care of their garden. Pretty easy up sell to say, for $35-$50 dollars a week I'll come by and adjust water, weed and put the ripe veggies in a basket on your porch.

Good points. I would stress the set up aspect of it though. If something went wrong as far as my set up I would stand behind it but I would stress that upkeep would be there responsibility (watering , weeding etc) I honestly wouldnt have the time to do an upkeep business. Garden up keep isnt tremendously difficult and I would need people to realize that I am just doing the dirty work as far as set up. They would have to water at night and Josh Gordon on the weekends and do the general garden things . This is an opportunity for a person that wants to do the general upkeep of the garden but not the start up. I would do existing gardens to but that would most likely be easier.My garden was a bitch to get going last year because I started from scratch in a new spot. This year it will just be some clean up mild tilling and fresh soil

Fast forward a month and whomper gets a call at 7:50 am on Saturday morning expecting you to come look at a problem. Once people shell out a few hundred dollars for a garden you're on the hook. This type of "side gig" may take up a lot of free time.

my thought as well. whomp, if i were you i'd search around the innernets and see if other people have been able to start similar businesses.

You know what I'd do first? Hook up a friend or relative one weekend. Have them help/cover the supplies. You'll get a real good idea of what you are getting yourself into as far as time and stuff goes, adjusted for your local expenses/costs. Maybe even do yerself an estimate of the job before you get started for reference when you are done.

Good luck. Sounds fun.

You know what I'd do first? Hook up a friend or relative one weekend. Have them help/cover the supplies. You'll get a real good idea of what you are getting yourself into as far as time and stuff goes, adjusted for your local expenses/costs. Maybe even do yerself an estimate of the job before you get started for reference when you are done.

Good luck. Sounds fun.

:wacko: I plan on at least doulbing the size of my garden this year. I also am going to be building a Greenhouse. You could hook me up and I could be a reference for you. :D

:wacko: I plan on at least doulbing the size of my garden this year. I also am going to be building a Greenhouse. You could hook me up and I could be a reference for you. :D

Cant help you with the greenhouse but if you were closer Id set that garden up bigtime

I've been gardening since '76 and at one time had over six acres of organic vegetable gardens. It became a full time gig and the end result was I loved the work but hated the pay. If you're looking to help some old lady out (or some hottie, who knows) the intent of making a profit can get in the way of the pleasure of working the soil. I say give it a try but stay small and limit what you're willing to do. Sounds like that's what you have in mind anyway. For the first time in my life I wish I lived closer to NJ :wacko: because I would love to help you out. Good luck.

I've been gardening since '76 and at one time had over six acres of organic vegetable gardens. It became a full time gig and the end result was I loved the work but hated the pay. If you're looking to help some old lady out (or some hottie, who knows) the intent of making a profit can get in the way of the pleasure of working the soil. I say give it a try but stay small and limit what you're willing to do. Sounds like that's what you have in mind anyway. For the first time in my life I wish I lived closer to NJ :wacko: because I would love to help you out. Good luck.

Thanks man. Defintely thinking of a small gig. Maybe if I did 7-10 of them this spring I would consider it a good run

Actually, the maintenance would be good in that it provides more business through the Summer. The set ups will be March-May. But what's left after that? If you rally want to avoid that maintenance, then just realize you have a very limited/ intense season to make the side money.

As mentioned, it wouldn't be that hard to come by and check the garden 1X per week to Josh Gordon, water, and pick the ripe stuff. Certainly a lot less time than actually building the garden in the first place.

Why not just offer to clear the land, put up the fence, and till the soil. Charge about $35 an hour.

Easy, good value for the customer, and it absolves you of any issues with the growing of the garden. Otherwise if you position yourself as a "garden expert", people might get pissed if it doesn't produce.

Why not just offer to clear the land, put up the fence, and till the soil. Charge about $35 an hour.

Easy, good value for the customer, and it absolves you of any issues with the growing of the garden. Otherwise if you position yourself as a "garden expert", people might get pissed if it doesn't produce.

Yep. Thats pretty much what I want to do. Planting is optional but I agree that leaves me open for production issues. The whole premise is what you said . Thats really all I want to do.

JMO, I wouldn't mark up the materials.

I would charge by the hour, plus a mileage fee for traveling any farther than someplace you can get in 30 minutes, and any trips to home depot you need to make to buy them supplies.

The first few may be difficult to estimate time on, but eventually you will be able to tell people that setting up a garden of X square feet will take Y amount of time sight unseen, with the caveat that if there are any incidentals (like lots of big rocks to dig out or whatever) that it may take more time.

I just built some more raised beds in the back yard this weekend, which will more than double my grow space. Man, that was a fun project. But I can't imagine it'd be a very profitable enterprise doing that kind of stuff for other people.

Whomp, it'd be one thing if folks were paying you for landscape design services. But simple day laborers can likely out work you, plus charge less for the grunt work. I guess my suggestion is this: if you're going to do it, don't do it for the money. But assuming you like the work, and assuming you could develop a sufficient client base, I think your primary selling point should be design-related (including advice related to soil, fertilizer, suggesting appropriate crops, planning year-round crops, going organic, composting, pest management, measurement and construction planning, etc.). Even then, I think you need to do a little math and be honest with yourself regarding how much you can realistically charge for such services, and how time-intensive the projects will be. If you'd basically be giving up your weekends for $10 a hour, it may not be worth it to you, especially during football season.

Edited by yo mama

I just built some more raised beds in the back yard this weekend, which will more than double my grow space. Man, that was a fun project. But I can't imagine it'd be a very profitable enterprise doing that kind of stuff for other people.

Whomp, it'd be one thing if folks were paying you for landscape design services. But simple day laborers can likely out work you, plus charge less for the grunt work. I guess my suggestion is this: if you're going to do it, don't do it for the money. Do it for sex. But assuming you like the work, and assuming you could develop a sufficient client base, I think your primary selling point should be design-related (including advice related to soil, fertilizer, suggesting appropriate crops, planning year-round crops, going organic, composting, pest management, measurement and construction planning, etc.). Even then, I think you need to do a little math and be honest with yourself regarding how much you can realistically charge for such services, and how time-intensive the projects will be. If you'd basically be giving up your weekends for $10 a hour, it may not be worth it to you, especially during football season.

Exactly.

Whomp, it'd be one thing if folks were paying you for landscape design services. But simple day laborers can likely out work you, plus charge less for the grunt work. I guess my suggestion is this: if you're going to do it, don't do it for the money. But assuming you like the work, and assuming you could develop a sufficient client base, I think your primary selling point should be design-related (including advice related to soil, fertilizer, suggesting appropriate crops, planning year-round crops, going organic, composting, pest management, measurement and construction planning, etc.). Even then, I think you need to do a little math and be honest with yourself regarding how much you can realistically charge for such services, and how time-intensive the projects will be. If you'd basically be giving up your weekends for $10 a hour, it may not be worth it to you, especially during football season.

Great post..Especially bolded part.