[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle Photographers(RR etc.)

keggerz

For my Bday my lovely wife just got me the Canon EOS Rebel XT 8 MP D-SLR with a EF-S 18-55mm Zoom Lens

I have been shooting with a Crap Kodak that is basically point and shoot...what tips, tricks etc should i know about this camera(I think RR and Blitz have ones like this)

The battery is charging as I type :D

Also she picked up a 2GB Extreme III CompactFlash card(the sales person said that was all they had) but in looking at the specs i saw that it only listed recording medium as: Recording Medium CF card Type I and II

I guess I need to update the firmware on it to be safe too :wacko:

:D

Step 1: take 200 pictures of whatever.

Step 2: delete 180.

Step 3: post 20 in an online gallery to delight the crowd.

Step 4: frame one at 8x10 or 11x14.

Step 5: repeat until you have 8 or so frames full.

Step 6: find a gallery wall to do a show.

Step 7: rinse and repeat.

Grand fun. I entertain the heck out of myself with photography. My equipment is getting outdated, so I'm starting to salivate over new prosumer digital gear ... Hey, enjoy it!! Post us some links of your work. :wacko:

I just bought that EXACT camera today. Been researching it about a year. I should have it in a few days. Everything I have read about it has been good, and I stopped at a camera shop today to test it out before I ordered it.

Very quick action, even when the flash is on.

And Happy Birthday. :wacko:

happy bday :wacko:

best thing you can do is just take a bunch of pictures. maybe get a book on amazon on photography basics to give you a basic grasp on all the concepts (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc.) and start to branch out a little, but the best thing you can do is just snap away and start teaching yourself that way.

thanks for all the bday wishes

as far as the camera goes...i had an old Olympus OM-1 35mm that I used to take pics with....bought it about 10yrs ago(used) because I wanted to learn how to use a 35mm without just pointing and shooting...suffice it to say I did take a TON of bad pictures but got some pretty good ones too(mainly B&Ws)....I was more looking for any tricks etc that go hand in hand with this camera(you know like how to set the clock on your VCR stuff).

fwiw I still have that Olympus with 3 different lenses(80-200mm, 28mm & 50mm) and a removable flash too...part of me says I should sell it and part of me says i should keep it and just display it in my game room.

thanks for all the bday wishes

as far as the camera goes...i had an old Olympus OM-1 35mm that I used to take pics with....bought it about 10yrs ago(used) because I wanted to learn how to use a 35mm without just pointing and shooting...suffice it to say I did take a TON of bad pictures but got some pretty good ones too(mainly B&Ws)....I was more looking for any tricks etc that go hand in hand with this camera(you know like how to set the clock on your VCR stuff).

fwiw I still have that Olympus with 3 different lenses(80-200mm, 28mm & 50mm) and a removable flash too...part of me says I should sell it and part of me says i should keep it and just display it in my game room.

then you might want to pick up something like this or this. i bought this for my camera and it was very worthwhile as far as trying to get the most out of it.

keggerz...you got your self a nice piece of equipment. I have the XTi which is a 10.1megapixel and a couple of nice lenses. I love the camera but I really love my lenses. They make or break your picture taking experience in my opinion. You're going to have a lot of fun. Get out there and shoot, shoot, shoot. Oh yeah and Happy Birthday!!! :wacko:

Take LOTS of pictures. Take LOTS of pictures of the same thing from slightly different angles. Take LOTS of pictures just because you can. It's digital, you'd be surprised how just a little change in perspective can alter the picture. Buy good glossy photographic paper for you printouts. It makes a difference.

Happy b-day!

P.S. Take lots of pictures!

• 1 month later...

I haven't really taken that many pictures yet but I think I got a few good ones so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25173623@N07/

If I am lucky I will be able to get pictures of the Killdeer eggs while they are hatching(they are right outside of where I work)

I have also added a 75mm-300mm lens too.

I haven't really taken that many pictures yet but I think I got a few good ones so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25173623@N07/

If I am lucky I will be able to get pictures of the Killdeer eggs while they are hatching(they are right outside of where I work)

I have also added a 75mm-300mm lens too.

How did I miss this post?? :wacko:

Keg, you have some very nice stuff there. As Randall said, a class (Credit class not adult ED) in Photography at your local CC will help you sharpen your skills even more. The classes I took all required a theme or common problem. For example I had a quarter long course and my theme was "Green". And NO most were not outdoor shots. In another class, the instructor would give us a concept problem like Depth of field or perspective and we would have to bring in 40+ photos demonstrating that. Plus the tips you pick up from other students and seeing how they solved a problem is invaluable. And viewing everyones work and listening to their presentation was also enlightening, including the instructor's critique.

Enjoy, and keep shooting! :D

Edit for:

If you're using PS or PSE to do touch ups, cropping, etc., try to shoot some in RAW format vs JPEG. The results you can get are amazing. Yes the files are HUGH (8+megs), but with no compression (RAW format has no compression and is sort of like the digital eq. of a photo negative), plus it has the broadest color range for printing. I rarely shoot JPG anymore. But if you do shoot JPG, use Adobe RGB (98) vs sRGB. Again for the color range, but if you're going to just post to the web/email then shoot sRGB. This article is pretty decent as to why:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/techcorner/October_2006.html

Edited by rocknrobn26

How did I miss this post?? :wacko:

Keg, you have some very nice stuff there. As Randall said, a class (Credit class not adult ED) in Photography at your local CC will help you sharpen your skills even more. The classes I took all required a theme or common problem. For example I had a quarter long course and my theme was "Green". And NO most were not outdoor shots. In another class, the instructor would give us a concept problem like Depth of field or perspective and we would have to bring in 40+ photos demonstrating that. Plus the tips you pick up from other students and seeing how they solved a problem is invaluable. And viewing everyones work and listening to their presentation was also enlightening, including the instructor's critique.

Enjoy, and keep shooting! :D

i was wondering the same thing :D

the thing that has helped me the most is that because it it digital I dont have to worry about mistakes...the pic of my niece in the pink hat/shirt with the sunglasses was actually an "accident"

I put the glasses on her and wanted to snap the pic of her with the hat and glasses on....right as I put them on and went to grab my camera she started to take the hat off and the glasses started falling off....the picture looks like it was supposed to be that way but it wasnt(but i think its better then how I initially wanted it).

i was wondering the same thing :D

the thing that has helped me the most is that because it it digital I dont have to worry about mistakes...the pic of my niece in the pink hat/shirt with the sunglasses was actually an "accident"

I put the glasses on her and wanted to snap the pic of her with the hat and glasses on....right as I put them on and went to grab my camera she started to take the hat off and the glasses started falling off....the picture looks like it was supposed to be that way but it wasnt(but i think its better then how I initially wanted it).

Some of my best photos were either accidents or just plain luck. :wacko:Like this one....

BTW.....check my previous post for an edit. :D

Edited by rocknrobn26