[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vegetarians/vegans

driveby

As I'm plowing through my plate of brisket, sausage links and ribs today :wacko:, I read about how Prince Fielder has decided to become a vegetarian. :D and I was wondering if there are any v/v's out there who could explain the lifestyle?

It seems healthy and all but I don't think I could give up my meat. And I also don't see how you can fill up on fruits and vegetables? Of the fruits and vegetables I actually like, there is no way I could eat enough to satisfy my hunger.

And I really have no problem whatsoever using animals for food, so that would not be a factor in switching even if I thought I could do it.

Now, where are those bacon bits for my baked potato?

funny, but my inlaws fairly recently (a year and a half ago) decided to become "vegan". it is not a moral/animal rights thing with them at all. they read some bogus vegan propaganda book called 'the china study" that convinced them how much healthier it is and how animal protein is the cause of every evil imaginable. i am surprised at how easily roped in they were (he is a doctor). i think the main thing is there is a pretty serious history of heart disease in his family and they are just going all-out with anything they can imagine to keep his ticker running cleanly. if nothing else it is a very low fat, low cholesterol way of eating.

<----vegetarian (mostly). I find chicken to be gross, pigs are filthy animals, and I will not eat my brother the cow.

I eat fish, shellfish, cheese, dairy, and eggs. Actually, it's not really a political thing with me. I always feel sluggish and "heavy" after red meat meals. I usually relent a bit in the summer time, as grills and steaks/burgers are too tough to pass up, but I love vegetables, and the challenge of substituting veggies in meat dishes.

Many vegans need to get certain proteins and vitamins from animal souces as vegetables don't give everything they need. Some consume dairy to help balance foods. Some eat purely fruits, vegetables and grains. As in an3y diet many paople take different paths.

Is it true you turn gay if you eat only fruits and vegetables? :wacko:

<----vegetarian (mostly). I find chicken to be gross, pigs are filthy animals, and I will not eat my brother the cow.

I eat fish, shellfish, cheese, dairy, and eggs. Actually, it's not really a political thing with me. I always feel sluggish and "heavy" after red meat meals. I usually relent a bit in the summer time, as grills and steaks/burgers are too tough to pass up, but I love vegetables, and the challenge of substituting veggies in meat dishes.

So you won't eat your brother unless he's looking particularly tasty?

As I'm plowing through my plate of brisket, sausage links and ribs today :wacko:, I read about how Prince Fielder has decided to become a vegetarian. :D and I was wondering if there are any v/v's out there who could explain the lifestyle?

I dated a Vegan for half a year and everything was a headache. Going out to eat was an experience in itself. Vegans that I've known usually have a weird skin tone to them...

pseudo-vegetarian?

truth is, no one knows what they are eating these days. our fruits and veges are pumped full of hormones and growth agents grown in chemical lased soil. the bulk of our common foods are pumped full of preservatives and real food substitutes produced in a lab. the idea that anyone in america could somehow have control over what goes into their bodies is a joke. i guess if someone owned their own land far from civilization and if they were able to acquire some non-genetically enhanced seeds to grow some crops and they had a fresh water stream somewhere nearby to water their gardens and then they ate only the stuff they grew, then they might have a shot of understanding what they are consuming ...

I've done the vegetarian thing twice, for extended periods of time. I felt a lot better, health-wise, and had a lot more energy. Then again, I was putting a lot more time and thought into what I was eating, and buying all organic crap, instead of grabbing fast food-- so the reason for the difference isn't really a glowing endorsement for a vegetarian lifestyle, scientifically. Besides, I really really like some grilled flesh.

According to everything I have read, including studies done by the American Heart Association, optimally, people aren't supposed to eat meat more than 3-4 times per week, and the serving sizes recommended are tiny (the size of a deck of playing cards.) Now, I just try and eat healthy, without being overly obsessive about it. If I go out and eat a 34 oz Ribeye, I'll take a break for a couple of days and try to eat more green leafy veggies and oatmeal and lentils and stuff for a while.