[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thumb-sucking

Cunning Runt

I'm hoping to gleen some insight on this.

My 4yr old son likes to suck his thumb. The literature I read on it and even his pediatrician didn't seem to think it was a big deal and that it was kind of like potty-training in that a light kind of turns on one day and they just stop (or in the case of potty-training, start using the toliet instead of a diaper).

I'm just a bit concerned though as some of what I read suggests that around 4yrs old (granted he turned 4 less than a month ago), thumb-sucking can lead to some teeth issues.

So a couple questions:

1. Does anyone out there have any insight as to whether I should be concerned or not (ie - make him quit for his own good somehow) and;

2. Assuming for a second that "making him quit" is the right answer, do you have any specific recommendations as to how? I know there's a product, I think called Bitter, that you can put on a child's thumb and I've also heard vaseline on the thumb - obviously these are both "taste-based". Any other suggestions?

I think you'll do more damage to your kid trying to force him to quit than any damage he's going to do to his teeth. He's 4: There's no need to overload him now. You have his entire youth sporting career to put unreasonable amounts of pressure on him.

I think you'll do more damage to your kid trying to force him to quit than any damage he's going to do to his teeth. He's 4: There's no need to overload him now. You have his entire youth sporting career to put unreasonable amounts of pressure on him.

Ya, I hear ya and that's more or less how I feel as well, but if it truly is going to screw up his mouth, then I'd prefer he stop - just would want to do it in a way that is easier for him - don't want to screw with his head too much ya know.

I'm a professional in the area. I recommend doing what I did with my children--I cut off their thumbs when they were asleep.

Alternately, Yo is right. Don't make this a power struggle--you won't win. You could provide simple rewards when he goes a period without sucking his thumb (e.g., a sticker). He earns, say 10 stickers, and he turns them in for a bigger reward (a coloring book, a new story book) etc. I'm just throwing out a general behavioral plan. Just remember if you do decide to go this route, children do better when working toward a behavior than working to avoid one.

I'm a professional in the area. I recommend doing what I did with my children--I cut off their thumbs when they were asleep.

Alternately, Yo is right. Don't make this a power struggle--you won't win. You could provide simple rewards when he goes a period without sucking his thumb (e.g., a sticker). He earns, say 10 stickers, and he turns them in for a bigger reward (a coloring book, a new story book) etc. I'm just throwing out a general behavioral plan. Just remember if you do decide to go this route, children do better when working toward a behavior than working to avoid one.

Good advice. Cutting off their thumbs that is.

Nah...not really, I think I'll try the "reward program" though and see where that ends up.

Thanks!

Edit to add: I would be curious to know if there are any dentists out there. I'd like to get some perspective regarding the teeth thing. Is that a real concern or not. I'm getting some mixed messages in what I've read. Are there any dentists on the boards?

i would put something on his thumb every morning until he stops, I would. At this age at least. 4 is the right time imo. We took the pacy away at 3. It's not just the teeth that it affects, it could also affect their verbal letter formation. Both of my kids who went to 3 with their pacy's have trouble forming certain letters. Although I think if he takes his thumb out to talk it's probably not as big a deal as a kid who has a pacy in their mouth trying to speak. I could be wrong there of course.

I would try poop at first. I think that would work.

I of course I am not a professional like Unta.

Alright, fire away unta.

Edited by chiefjay

My step-daughter sucke dher thumb until she was about 7 years old... she eventually stopped on her own, mostly because she was embarrassed by it... school helps kids sort a lot of these things out. They don't want other kids thinking they are babies, etc.

i would put something on his thumb every morning until he stops, I would. At this age at least. 4 is the right time imo. We took the pacy away at 3. It's not just the teeth that it affects, it could also affect their verbal letter formation. Both of my kids who went to 3 with their pacy's have trouble forming certain letters. Although I think if he takes his thumb out to talk it's probably not as big a deal as a kid who has a pacy in their mouth trying to speak. I could be wrong there of course.

I would try poop at first. I think that would work.

I of course am not a professional like Unta.

Alright, fire away unta.

Since you asked...It has been clear for some time that your parents never really liked you. They might have loved you, but they never liked you. They like your siblings very much but deep down, there is something inherently unappealing about you. On some level, you know that I am correct--as does anyone who has any contact with you. I would recommend counseling, but I don't think it would help you.

Since you asked...It has been clear for some time that your parents never really liked you. They might have loved you, but they never liked you. They like your siblings very much but deep down, there is something inherently unappealing about you. On some level, you know that I am correct--as does anyone who has any contact with you. I would recommend counseling, but I don't think it would help you.

Damnit, I think you are right. Thanks for ruining my day. Thanks for at least saving me the $50 on the counseling sessions. :wacko:

I can confirm this.

You bastard. This hurts more then you know. I expect this from Furd or Chuck but not YOU.

I think you've met or at least seen my goofy brother too and you still feel this way? This will stay with me for a long time. At least until the next time I need something from you.

Oh and I'm in the for the Tiger game this year dependent on the date. Damnit, that only took 1 minute for me to forgive you.

We had a thumb-sucker.

He went to a high school football game in the cold weather and his thumb ended up raw and blistery.

He quit cold-turkey after that.

He sucked his thumb until high school. Wow, now that's bad.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

He sucked his thumb until high school. Wow, now that's bad.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

It was my stepson from my first marriage (my ex-wife's son), and he was in upper elementary school. It was darn near high school.

My daughter sucked her thumb until she was 6 (we tried a mitten/sock on her hand at night, duct taped it on so she could not remove it she just chewed through to free her thumb, hot sauce- she now loves the stuff, Bitter did not work as she just sucked it off eventually. Finally we got her to stop by promising to pierce her ears...) She is now 8 and I have spent $1,500 at the orthodontist already. As Atomic stated, the thumb actually caused the teeth to move. She also had trouble saying certain sounds. That went away very quickly as my wife who is a special ed teacher worked with her.

My 3 year old son sucks his thumb too, he uses a blankie which stimulates his thumb sucking. He turns four this month and "blue blankie" is being retired and hopefully thumb sucking will too.

If your son has a stimulas try removing it. (my daughter would rub her arm so we could not remove her stimulas) Otherwise use the reward.

My boy finally quit a few months ago, he's eight. He'd only do it at night and in the morning. Our dentist told us that so long as he quit before his permanent teeth came in he'd be alright. I finally scared him into quiting cold turkey by continually asking if he really wanted to be a bucktoothed kid.