[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Teaching Manners Class this Summer

Egret

Pure curiosity, why should someone take their hat off during prayer?

If you can take your hat off for your country you should certainly do so for God. Or not. I don't think the Almighty will ignore your prayer if you pray with a hat on. It's just a sign of repect to remove the hat. Sorta like when the cowboys met the school marm.

Teach them listening skills. It will help them in everything they do.

Teach them to enunciate and to organize a proper sentence while speaking. (Minimize the errs, uhs, and likes)

Previously mentioned: Please/Thank you, sir/ma'am, yes/no, sit-up/stand-up straight

• 3 months later...

I taught my first class yesterday. I used a compilation list from this thread with the class as a list of manners topics that people found important. The students then shared with me thing that they felt were important. Not surprisingly, they weren't too different with the addition of sharing problems and name calling. Thanks for the help here. The class was fun to teach. :wacko:

Maybe not so much manners, and it's been said already, but looking someone in the eye when talking is huge. Also - a good firm handshake can never be a bad thing. And maybe an overall discussion as to what "non-verbal" body language is telling the person they're communicating with. Arms crossed = defensive - that sort of thing.

Oh....

Almost forgot - tell them that when they do decide to play fantasy football, that some thin-skinned people find it rude to hope an injury occurs if it helps their team. Instruct them to keep it to themselves.

:wacko: I couldn't resist.

Edited by Cunning Runt

Remind them that nobody owes them jack.

This is the thing that seems to get me about kids these days, a heightened sense of self-entitlement. We've made such a big deal about just showing up being such an important step that everyone seems to forget that it's only the first step.

Respect covers a lot of bases. The sir/mam thing seems to be more of a southern thingee.

Yes/No vs Yah/Nah.

Adults don't have to gain respect, just give it.

Eye contact.

Get off your butt to greet someone.

Hats off, hand over heart, look at the flag for the anthem.

Friends parents should be addressed as Mr./Mrs. unless the parents want to be called something else.

Thank you, please, your welcome are replies....use them!

Smile.

Did I mention the word 'Dude'. Keep that for friends, not adults.

Listen.