[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For whomever asked

TheShiznit

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on people now, smile on your brother...

+1

If being an ignorant jackass disqualified people from participating in the Tailgate there wouldn't be anyone left for me to talk to around here... except DMD, of course. :wacko:

Edited by yo mama

Do you really believe Paul Revere rode across the countryside yelling the british are coming....FOOL.

Well, no, he actually traveled the water route. William Dawes actually traveled by land. It's a small detail, of which I'm sure you were not referring in your above quote. The fact is two people did travel from Boston to Lexington to warn of a British invasion. This is why the Boston marathon is run starting in Lexington, and finishes in Boston. But it did happen.

In April, General Gage is ordered to take decisive actions to quell the growing rebellion. Colonial spies in Boston quickly learn of a planned expedition to Concord to capture members of the Massachusetts Provincial Congress and supplies. One April 18, 1775, Dr. Joseph Warren sends messages with both Paul Revere and William Dawes. Dawes travels out of Boston by land, while Revere goes by water. After a near capture, Revere reaches Lexington and warns John Hancock and Samuel Adams. He and Dawes attempt to continue on to Concord, but are waylaid. Dr. Samuel Prescott does make it to Concord. Revere is back in a Lexington tavern retrieving Hancock's papers when the famous Shot Heard 'Round the World is fired.

In Harry Truman's diary, on 7/18/45, he made note that Winston Churchill mentioned a Japanese surrender offer that was received by Joseph Stalin (Stalin had told Churchill about it). Stalin wrote and answer back that is not detailed.

:wacko:

And here is an article discussion whether dropping the bombs were necessary. It points out the argument here in a historical context.

:D

Edited by cre8tiff

And here is an article discussion whether dropping the bombs were necessary. It points out the argument here in a historical context.

Interesting. I agree with this...

There is no way we can know for certain whether this approach would have ended the Pacific war sooner and with fewer deaths. But one may regret that such an attempt was not made.

... but believe that the thinking at the time was to prioritize saving American lives. Continuing to wage conventional war against Japan - with no visible light at the end of the tunnel - would've meant more American casualties.

I'm also not buying the whole "lack of cultural sensitivity" about the importance of the emperor in their society. I don't believe that it was our responsibility to give a flying flip about that. They didn't appear to be sensitive to American beliefs when they attacked Pearl Harbor out of the blue.

Hmmm...wow...would have never have known that. There are plenty of periodicals out there that add things to the story...kinda like Paul Harvey, you get the rest of the story.

You're still ducking. They wanted to keep their emporer. We get that. They also wanted a host of 'other things' in response to our demand for an unconditional surrender. We bombed them, and they dropped all but got their emporer off the hook. Hardly a 'score one for the Japanese' moment.

When demands for unconditional surrender are met with conditions then you're playing hardball, and that gets played both ways - especially in this case. They didn't offer a 'surrender' they were trying to buy time through 'negotiations' when time for that was over. Literally.

I like your hiding behind your 'college textbooks' as if most authors, their books and the theses in those books aren't available online. :wacko::D

we shouldve just sent mothra

Of course you'd pick the wussiest monster. King Ghidora is 70,000 tons to Mothra's 20,000 tons. King Ghidora can fly at mach 4, compared to Mothra's mach 3. Sure, Mothra has telepathic abilities, and can repell Godizlla's radioactive breath ray. And they both can create shock waves with their wings. But nothing has more Tokyo-destroying power than King Ghidora's three-headed fire rays.

Or so I'm told...

Of course you'd pick the wussiest monster. King Ghidora is 70,000 tons to Mothra's 20,000 tons. King Ghidora can fly at mach 4, compared to Mothra's mach 3. Sure, Mothra has telepathic abilities, and can repell Godizlla's radioactive breath ray. And they both can create shock waves with their wings. But nothing has more Tokyo-destroying power than King Ghidora's three-headed fire rays.

Or so I'm told...

Ummm DUDE, Mothra comes with the mini-babes. duh. :wacko:

Well, no, he actually traveled the water route. William Dawes actually traveled by land. It's a small detail, of which I'm sure you were not referring in your above quote. The fact is two people did travel from Boston to Lexington to warn of a British invasion. This is why the Boston marathon is run starting in Lexington, and finishes in Boston. But it did happen.

In April, General Gage is ordered to take decisive actions to quell the growing rebellion. Colonial spies in Boston quickly learn of a planned expedition to Concord to capture members of the Massachusetts Provincial Congress and supplies. One April 18, 1775, Dr. Joseph Warren sends messages with both Paul Revere and William Dawes. Dawes travels out of Boston by land, while Revere goes by water. After a near capture, Revere reaches Lexington and warns John Hancock and Samuel Adams. He and Dawes attempt to continue on to Concord, but are waylaid. Dr. Samuel Prescott does make it to Concord. Revere is back in a Lexington tavern retrieving Hancock's papers when the famous Shot Heard 'Round the World is fired.

Paul Revere and Dawes couldn't hold a candle to the real hero that day: Isaac Bissell. He rode 375 miles to carry a message to Philadelphia, spreading the news. Revere barely covered 20 miles.

Why have you never heard of him? Revisionist history. Longfellow wanted to write a good poem and so he chose something of a revolutionary war bend. He needed a hero with a good sounding name. Not Isaac Bissell. So he took Bissell's ride and assigned Revere to it. Viola! Revere became the hero in popular culture and eventually in school books. Bissell passed from history.

Here's a link:

Edited by cre8tiff

Paul Revere and Dawes couldn't hold a candle to the real hero that day: Isaac Bissell. He rode 375 miles to carry a message to Philadelphia, spreading the news. Revere barely covered 20 miles.

Why have you never heard of him? Revisionist history. Longfellow wanted to write a good poem and so he chose something of a revolutionary war bend. He needed a hero with a good sounding name. Not Isaac Bissell. So he took Bissell's ride and assigned Revere to it. Viola! Revere became the hero in popular culture and eventually in school books. Bissell passed from history.

Here's a link:

Yeah - but what was the guys name who dropped dead after running to tell Athens what happened at the Battle of Marathon? They named the race after the place, not him.

Here's a link:

It is way to cool to be in the same fraternity as those guys.

Yeah - but what was the guys name who dropped dead after running to tell Athens what happened at the Battle of Marathon? They named the race after the place, not him.

Had to look it up, but I do remember coming across this tid bit before. Phidippides

Here's a link:

Yeah, I know Bissell. Thought his name was Israel, though? Anyway, he scoffed at the idea that Paul Revere didn't ride the countryside. Although he did send out the alarm, he did it by water. My point was, his history needs a little refreshing, which still stands.

It is way to cool to be in the same fraternity as those guys.

I would love to claim it, but I recently watched an HBO special "Assume the Position, Mr. Wuhl"

He argued (in a comedic way) that history IS pop culture.

It is OnDemand and well worth the hour of your time to watch. :D

Come on people now, smile on your brother...

Everybody get together

After we bomb the chit out of Japan.

It is amazing how many people believe, just because something is written in text in a book, that it is the absolute truth. Books, even history books, can be very opinionated.

Babies? 3 FARGIN LIGHTNING SPEWING HEADS!!!

baby larva...pfft....

KING GIDORAH FOREVER!

Not babies, you imbecile.. BABES, little singing Japano-hotties.

:D

Clearly I was also thinking of GIRLS at that time. :wacko:

Edited by cre8tiff