[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For whomever asked

TheShiznit

I have a picture of Godzilla over my computer. He's standing over Toyko and you know he's not there to sell Avon products. Seriously. I really have a picture of Godzilla over my computer. I also have the hard plastic Godzilla monster toy. Godzilla is badass.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a picture of Godzilla over my computer. He's standing over Toyko and you know he's not there to sell Avon products. Seriously. I really have a picture of Godzilla over my computer. I also have the hard plastic Godzilla monster toy. Godzilla is badass.

Pfft.

My office has a poster of the original movie, I have a Bendy Godzilla from the early 80's, a Shogun Warrior Godzilla on my desk and a 3rd Godzilla miniature from the 90's.

Plus my desktop background is a picture of Jet Jaguar.

yeah baby, your jealous of my desktop.

Pfft.

My office has a poster of the original movie, I have a Bendy Godzilla from the early 80's, a Shogun Warrior Godzilla on my desk and a 3rd Godzilla miniature from the 90's.

Plus my desktop background is a picture of Jet Jaguar.

yeah baby, your jealous of my desktop.

there is a good chance u r ghey

Paul Revere and Dawes couldn't hold a candle to the real hero that day: Isaac Bissell. He rode 375 miles to carry a message to Philadelphia, spreading the news. Revere barely covered 20 miles.

All that mileage covered and no mention of the horses. Pfftt...

I find it interesting that the focus of this argument is whether we needed to drop atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki to end the war sooner. How quickly y'all forget that we firebombed Japan several times with many more casualties than were accounted for with the atomic bomb droppings. OK, lets continue a conventional war against Japan, we would have killed many more Japanese I assure you (but you'd feel better about that decision? :wacko: ) But that isn't a convenient argument, is it? Sometimes I think the problem with debating history and the actions taken by leaders is taken in (in this case) the context of the year 2008 with how damaging we know nukes are now and the convenience of hind sight. Take a look at it in 1945 after this country and many others bled for 6 plus years and the socio-political landscape at the time, and then come back.

And, the vanquished don't dictate terms of surrender, the victor does. Unconditional...what was lost in translation there?

Sometimes I think the problem with debating history and the actions taken by leaders is taken in (in this case) the context of the year 2008 with how damaging we know nukes are now and the convenience of hind sight.

I'm actually convinced that if we hadn't dropped those nukes on Japan, a nuclear WWIII would have been fought by now.

2 atomic bombs cleaned up Japan. We should've learned our lesson from that and done the same in the other crapholes in the world...Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. I mean the nukes are fully depreciated by now.

I'll bet those Vietnamese would make a mean pair of speakers. :wacko:

Interesting. I agree with this...

... but believe that the thinking at the time was to prioritize saving American lives. Continuing to wage conventional war against Japan - with no visible light at the end of the tunnel - would've meant more American casualties.

I'm also not buying the whole "lack of cultural sensitivity" about the importance of the emperor in their society. I don't believe that it was our responsibility to give a flying flip about that. They didn't appear to be sensitive to American beliefs when they attacked Pearl Harbor out of the blue.

YOu can buy and believe what you wish...it is a free country.

Yeah, I know Bissell. Thought his name was Israel, though? Anyway, he scoffed at the idea that Paul Revere didn't ride the countryside. Although he did send out the alarm, he did it by water. My point was, his history needs a little refreshing, which still stands.

Really...all I was trying to point out was that Paul Revere didn't do the riding all across the countryside....I saw no need to pull up relevant links.

All that mileage covered and no mention of the horses. Pfftt...

I find it interesting that the focus of this argument is whether we needed to drop atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki to end the war sooner. How quickly y'all forget that we firebombed Japan several times with many more casualties than were accounted for with the atomic bomb droppings. OK, lets continue a conventional war against Japan, we would have killed many more Japanese I assure you (but you'd feel better about that decision? :wacko: ) But that isn't a convenient argument, is it? Sometimes

I think the problem with debating history and the actions taken by leaders is taken in (in this case) the context of the year 2008 with how damaging we know nukes are now and the convenience of hind sight. Take a look at it in 1945 after this country and many others bled for 6 plus years and the socio-political landscape at the time, and then come back.

And, the vanquished don't dictate terms of surrender, the victor does. Unconditional...what was lost in translation there?

Look at what we did to our own citizens/soldiers while we were dropping bombs in Nevada . They were given sunglasses for protection. 20/20.

Really...all I was trying to point out was that Paul Revere didn't do the riding all across the countryside....I saw no need to pull up relevant links.

Well, he did do some riding. He didn't make it all the way to Concord. But he just took the water route. That doesn't mean he was rowing a boat, it means he was following rivers. And he wasn't the only one riding, there were others, but that deson't mean he wasn't doing it.

Well, he did do some riding. He didn't make it all the way to Concord. But he just took the water route. That doesn't mean he was rowing a boat, it means he was following rivers. And he wasn't the only one riding, there were others, but that deson't mean he wasn't doing it.

You're wasting your breath pat. I saw a sig somewhere (either here or the firing line) that would be applicable here:

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

You're wasting your breath pat. I saw a sig somewhere (either here or the firing line) that would be applicable here:

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

:wacko: Hat Trick's

I guess you and West Virginia lack reading comprehension....I noted it wasn't Paul Revere alone...never suggested he did nothing...

I would have thought it unarguable that casualties would have been far greater from a land invasion of Japan than they were from the pair of A-bombs. Not only that, the bottom line is that they launched a completely unprovoked attack and reaped what they sowed. One of their admirals (Yamamoto?) said as the attack progressed that they had awoken a sleeping giant and indeed they had. The A-bombs killed no Americans to my knowledge, which would certainly not have been the case if an invasion of Honshu had happened.

All this backwards and forwards with offers of this that or the other surrender terms is irrelevant - surrender needed to be completely unconditional and it was.

Whining and hand wringing over the use of the A-bombs is liberal guilt gone mad. Where is the whining and hand-wringing over Nanking, Korea or the Bataan death march?

Bah. The Japanese can count themselves damn fortunate to still exist.

They did not you idiot. Hirohito Immediately surrendered after the second bomb....he wrestled control from his advisors and immediately surrendered. What you are talking about is part of the pre-bombing surrender. And yes, they wanted to try their own war criminals....but then again...so do we. Again...winners write the history and get the spoils. Do you really believe Paul Revere rode across the countryside yelling the british are coming....FOOL.

I guess you and West Virginia lack reading comprehension....I noted it wasn't Paul Revere alone...never suggested he did nothing...

You did? That reads like he didn't do it to me? Maybe you need the comprehension lesson...

Whining and hand wringing over the use of the A-bombs is liberal guilt gone mad. Where is the whining and hand-wringing over Nanking, Korea or the Bataan death march?

You make an awful lot of sense sometimes.

YOu can buy and believe what you wish...it is a free country.

Just as you're free to spew massive amounts of bullcrap in this thread.

You did? That reads like he didn't do it to me? Maybe you need the comprehension lesson...

Can you believe that this guy supposedly has a law degree? :wacko:

Edited by Bill Swerski

Did He....or did he not? You seem to not be able to read....did I say he did nothing....I also suggested the winner write history....which was the greater point that Revere do all that is attributed to him....again...reading comprehension is fundamental...along with reading in context.

You make an awful lot of sense sometimes.

Just as you're free to spew massive amounts of bullcrap in this thread.

Can you believe that this guy supposedly has a law degree? :wacko:

I have no law degree...whoever suggested that. I am a financial advisor who adviser somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 million dollars give or take a million. I was pre-law in college...which means I have read lots and lots of landmark Supreme Court cases and have a greater understanding of Substantiative Due Process than most non-lawyer types who have never had to submit briefs. Talk about making chit up.

Shiznit, I really don't understand your position at all. OK, Japan offered a very conditional surrender before the bombs. One of those many conditions was keep the emperor. Then, after the bombs, Japan surrendered (again supposedly) and got to keep the emperor as a figure head. What is your point?

I have no law degree...whoever suggested that. I am a financial advisor who adviser somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 million dollars give or take a million. I was pre-law in college...which means I have read lots and lots of landmark Supreme Court cases and have a greater understanding of Substantiative Due Process than most non-lawyer types who have never had to submit briefs. Talk about making chit up.

Which seems to be what you are doing. Pre law and can't do enough research to support your statement???