[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guitar Hero baby!

Skippy

I am not. :brew:

However, so far today I think we have about 7 hours going straight on the Guitar Hero III, Legends of Rock. My kids are crushing me but my eleven year old thinks it is really cool that I know all the words to the songs. :wacko::D:D

Oh and we are playing this one on the WII.

My 8-yr-old can play "through the fire and flames" on hard--he still can't get it on expert. I officially suck.

My just turned 20 year old is sick with the video games. His hand eye is worlds ahead of mine. He just did the "play though the fire and flames". We now have five different performers set up on our system and about two hours ago my boys friend was over with his guitar so we had two guitars going at once.

I swear I am so hooked on this. We have been playing this thing non stop since this morning when my little girl opened it up.

Oh and there are some really good tunes with this one. :wacko:

I am not. :D

However, so far today I think we have about 7 hours going straight on the Guitar Hero III, Legends of Rock. My kids are crushing me but my eleven year old thinks it is really cool that I know all the words to the songs. :wacko::D:D

Oh and we are playing this one on the WII.

We got it a few weeks ago for a gift for the kids and their report cards. My two are pretty good already and dad is trying to hold his own too. I have progress through all the easy songs and graduated to the Medium songs. Having seen some of the performers live, I have an edge on my kids since I know the lyrics, but my kids have played it a little more than dad, since I have to actually work most of the week. yawn: It has been a lot of fun for the kids and dad too! :brew::D

Played "Rock Band"? It's twice as addicting.

The local WalChinaMart had one set up in the video game section and there were some rockin' kids going on. It packed the place. I have seen the Fall of the American Civilization. :wacko:

Played "Rock Band"? It's twice as addicting.

Yes we tried it out at the store a while back. My boy and his friends play it over one of thier houses. They even have some crap on youtube with them playing it.

I can see how that can be another great game for the family.

Regular guitar > Plastic guitar

I can play a majority of the songs on a real guitar but sucked at this. I wanted to do the real motions.

I for one have bought my kids real guitars rather than this game. Imagine the hours put into the game used practicing on the real thing. I'm officially old as I feel this along with kids playing Madden instead of on the playground is a major downfall for our youth.

Yes we tried it out at the store a while back. My boy and his friends play it over one of thier houses. They even have some crap on youtube with them playing it.

I can see how that can be another great game for the family.

Rock Band rocks...........also fun for get togethers.

I can play a majority of the songs on a real guitar but sucked at this. I wanted to do the real motions.

I for one have bought my kids real guitars rather than this game. Imagine the hours put into the game used practicing on the real thing. I'm officially old as I feel this along with kids playing Madden instead of on the playground is a major downfall for our youth.

Everything in moderation. Hugh difference in letting them veg out all day and allowing them a few hours a week to play a video game.

GH just doesnt do it for me. My wife and I bought it, and she absolutely loves it. We bought a 2nd guitar for me to play, but I just dont think its really fun. All you do is stare at one spot on screen the whole time. Playing agaisnt someone MIGHT be fun, but co-op is pretty lame, and the game in general is too. I know a lot of people like it, but thats just my opinion.

And FWIW, I love playing games, but they have to have more substance than just hand eye coordination.

GH just doesnt do it for me. My wife and I bought it, and she absolutely loves it. We bought a 2nd guitar for me to play, but I just dont think its really fun. All you do is stare at one spot on screen the whole time. Playing agaisnt someone MIGHT be fun, but co-op is pretty lame, and the game in general is too. I know a lot of people like it, but thats just my opinion.

And FWIW, I love playing games, but they have to have more substance than just hand eye coordination.

So I am the onyl one that jumps around and flops around on the floor then? :wacko:

So I am the onyl one that jumps around and flops around on the floor then? :wacko:

No... You are not the only one..I like to get a little nutty :D

I have both GH3 and Rock Band.. I am 34 years old...Please help me...

FWIW I have only 2 songs to go on hard in GH3 (One and Raining Blood) and I am half way through Expert

Rock Band.. I love having friends over and rocking out Tom Sawyer on the vocals..

This of course all occurs after 8:30 PM when all 3 little ones are sleeping at the far reaches of the house..

My wife hates me...

The End

Edited by Scourge

I am sort of with you on most of this but I have a bit of a different take on it all.

Real guitars are great and my eleven year old has been taking lessons for almost a year. She plays guitar okay and claranet very well and one reason I was a little hesitant in buying GH was becuase of this. I for one do not think this is going to have much of an impact if any at all on her playing the real deal.

Now for why I am very much in favor of buying games like this. It is a game that the entire family will play together. It is a game that will have my kids friends over to my house and not the other way around which I very much prefer. I like to know what is going on with the kids. I don't like the idea of playing this game hours at a time each day and once the newness wears down I would expect this to be played in moderation. Not when the weather is nice and the bikes are out. Having said that, there are plenty of times that my children are house bound by my choice. Living in the big city just isn't what it used to be so the eleven year old is still in the house BEFORE the street lights come on. Her new school does not have her starting until 9:05am so the wake up call for 6:30am is no longer there. That has a lot of wake hours in doors and so long as the report cards are in great shape and reading log, homework, and the extra 20 mins of her choice of study is done, then I am all for any video game you want to play.

Edited by Skippy

• 1 month later...
I have never played this game and have always wondered if knowing how to play real guitar makes you better at this game? My guess is that it probably doesn't matter since there are no guitar strings or frets but I'm curious.

I think having actually played guitar is a hinderance because the chord progressions are not always the same on the game as they are in reality.

I have 2 grandsons who have guitars and today i asked my son if they are into GH(they do play a lot of video games). He said he thinks they have 1 and 2 at their mom's house. Since they live in missouri i don't get to see them much and i thought i'd treat them to GH3. What is this going to set me back and do i just need the game or do i buy a guitar with it too.

Grandpa needs help.

I have 2 grandsons who have guitars and today i asked my son if they are into GH(they do play a lot of video games). He said he thinks they have 1 and 2 at their mom's house. Since they live in missouri i don't get to see them much and i thought i'd treat them to GH3. What is this going to set me back and do i just need the game or do i buy a guitar with it too.

Grandpa needs help.

make sure you know which machine they have (if they have the first two GH games, then i'm guessing they have a playstation 2). the older guitar controllers can be played with the new games, so you wouldn't have to buy a new one. the game by itself should cost you $40-$50. check around.

make sure you know which machine they have (if they have the first two GH games, then i'm guessing they have a playstation 2). the older guitar controllers can be played with the new games, so you wouldn't have to buy a new one. the game by itself should cost you $40-$50. check around.

I know they have PS2 because i bought it for them a while back. Is the controller/guitar for GH3 better??

I really am lost when it comes to video games :wacko:

I know they have PS2 because i bought it for them a while back. Is the controller/guitar for GH3 better??

I really am lost when it comes to video games :wacko:

i haven't played the ps2 version of GH3, but i can't imagine the controller would be much different or better than the other versions. the controllers for the other systems are wireless, but not for ps2.

i haven't played the ps2 version of GH3, but i can't imagine the controller would be much different or better than the other versions. the controllers for the other systems are wireless, but not for ps2.