[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dan in real life sucked

detlef

So, somehow I got roped into renting this flick on Saturday. Actually, I was going to save the roping story until the end but what the hell...

So, we got up really early on Saturday to continue a massive, massive landscaping project which had so far consumed the entirety of four weekends and many hours either before or after work. Saturday was planting day which meant putting about 40 shrubs and perennials in the ground, hand watering them with jugs filled from our rainbarrels (drought restrictions don't allow city water for watering plants), and installing stands for the newly drained barrels so that I could use a freaking hose next time and not lug jugs of water around again.

At any rate, the afternoon arrives, I'm sacked, and proceed to veg in front of the TV watching the NCAA tourney. No problems from my wife until about hour 3-4 when she says, "I'm sick of basketball, let's go get an action movie." It's a freaking trap, but I'm just too tired to keep my guard up. I relent and we're off to Blockbuster where I start offering up one action flick after another, stupidly thinking the "action movie" comment was made in earnest and not simply a ploy to get me to shut off the game.

That was trick #1, the bait and switch.

Trick #2 was to beat me into submission by destroying my will to say no with pap flick after pap flick. After all, you only get so many vetos at the video store and both sexes take advantage of that. If you're on your game and you really want to get the new Die Hard, throw out a few Vin Deisel movies to soften her up and Die Hard may as well be Atonement as far as she's concerned. However, this was not my night. So, she gets the upper hand early, beats me about the head with some unbearable looking crap and checkmates with Dan In Real Life. I heard it was stupid and Hollywood never gets this type of movie right, but used up my waning will to fight talking her out of the last flick she suggested.

Wow, that is one stupid freaking movie. I think it runs about 2 hours longer than it needed to be and I wanted to punch about everyone in that family. Every twist was about as telegraphed as a rookie's pass and Steve Carrel was castrated and pathetic. If it's any consolation, my wife hated it as well, which you would think might buy some credibility the next time we're at Blockbuster. Then you remember, precedent means about nothing when you're married.

That is disappointing to hear. I was actually looking forward to this movie. I'm a big Steve Carrell fan, and it got a good review from the people (who are usually more reliable in big numbers than the critics).

Wow, that is one stupid freaking movie. I think it runs about 2 hours longer than it needed to be and I wanted to punch about everyone in that family.

:wacko:

Maybe that's what happened to Brandon Marshall. Maybe he was wrestling with the TV and punching the family through the tube. :D

That is disappointing to hear. I was actually looking forward to this movie. I'm a big Steve Carrell fan, and it got a good review from the people (who are usually more reliable in big numbers than the critics).

I agree with detlef on this one. I rented it this weekend as well. It was not your typical Steve Carrell movie. Any funny lines he may have had you have already seen in the trailers. Stay away from this one.

Back to the landscaping...how's that turning out? I just got a dumptruck load of topsoil last weekend and got it all spread out in prep of putting in some quality landscaping. My back is feeling it. You guys found any interesting plants?

I just got the driveway paved so I'm doing a large area in front of the garage with a tree or two or three as a base. We're thinking Japanese Maples like we had at the old house, but the hurricanes blew one over there. Also doing in front and side of the house.

We do the Netflix thing, so there's no arguing at the video store. . .it's

Her: Well, that movie sucked.

Me: What can you do? It was next up in the queue.

Her: Why did you put that piece of crap in the queue?

Me: I thought YOU put it there!

Her: No way! I wanted to see (insert movie title here).

Me: :D

Her: :D

Back to the landscaping...how's that turning out? I just got a dumptruck load of topsoil last weekend and got it all spread out in prep of putting in some quality landscaping. My back is feeling it. You guys found any interesting plants?

I just got the driveway paved so I'm doing a large area in front of the garage with a tree or two or three as a base. We're thinking Japanese Maples like we had at the old house, but the hurricanes blew one over there. Also doing in front and side of the house.

We hired a designer to help us plan it out so, yes, lot's of interesting stuff with crazy latin names. Right now, it's a major step back because we tore out a bunch of 30 year old shrubs that obviously filled up the space very well. It was just a bit boring and there wasn't much sense in pecking away at it.

After we tore everything out, I rented a roto-tiller and went to town. Then 10 yds of compost, then the plants, now 12 yds of mulch for the newly done area as well as the rest of the yard (about 1/2 acre).

So, right now it still looks rather barren as everything is either small or barely popping up out of the ground. Patience, it seems, will rule the day. Well, that and lot's of freaking advil.

Oh, and you can't go wrong with Japanese Maples. What a beautiful tree. We've got 3 in our yard and when they go off, it's pretty stunning.

detlef if you dont mind me asking what borough do you live in?

I am in Whitestone Queens. Just curious cuz I know you have a restaurant in nyc

:wacko: He lives in Chapel Hill, NC and his restaurant is there too.

:D He lives in Chapel Hill, NC and his restaurant is there too.

Perish the thought but Big John is only mostly correct. The restaurant is in Chapel Hill, but I live 10 miles away in Durham. I think that's about as close as I'm ever going to come to catching you in a mistake. :wacko:

We hired a designer to help us plan it out so, yes, lot's of interesting stuff with crazy latin names. Right now, it's a major step back because we tore out a bunch of 30 year old shrubs that obviously filled up the space very well. It was just a bit boring and there wasn't much sense in pecking away at it.

After we tore everything out, I rented a roto-tiller and went to town. Then 10 yds of compost, then the plants, now 12 yds of mulch for the newly done area as well as the rest of the yard (about 1/2 acre).

So, right now it still looks rather barren as everything is either small or barely popping up out of the ground. Patience, it seems, will rule the day. Well, that and lot's of freaking advil.

Oh, and you can't go wrong with Japanese Maples. What a beautiful tree. We've got 3 in our yard and when they go off, it's pretty stunning.

detlef if you dont mind me asking what borough do you live in?

I am in Whitestone Queens. Just curious cuz I know you have a restaurant in nyc

:wacko: I'm guessing you were a bit stunned at that amount of landscaping getting done in a NYC yard?

We do the Netflix thing, so there's no arguing at the video store. . .it's

Her: Well, that movie sucked.

Me: What can you do? It was next up in the queue.

Her: Why did you put that piece of crap in the queue?

Me: I thought YOU put it there!

Her: No way! I wanted to see (insert movie title here).

Me: :D

Her: :D

:brew::D:Dyawn::lol::):D:lol::lol::bash::bash::bash::lol::lol::lol:

no doubt...HORRIBLE MOVIE! Especially Dane Cook...

At any rate, the afternoon arrives, I'm sacked, and proceed to veg in front of the TV watching the NCAA tourney. No problems from my wife until about hour 3-4 when she says, "I'm sick of basketball, let's go get an action movie." It's a freaking trap, but I'm just too tired to keep my guard up. I relent and we're off to Blockbuster where I start offering up one action flick after another, stupidly thinking the "action movie" comment was made in earnest and not simply a ploy to get me to shut off the game.

That was trick #1, the bait and switch.

Trick #2 was to beat me into submission by destroying my will to say no with pap flick after pap flick. After all, you only get so many vetos at the video store and both sexes take advantage of that. If you're on your game and you really want to get the new Die Hard, throw out a few Vin Deisel movies to soften her up and Die Hard may as well be Atonement as far as she's concerned. However, this was not my night. So, she gets the upper hand early, beats me about the head with some unbearable looking crap and checkmates with Dan In Real Life. I heard it was stupid and Hollywood never gets this type of movie right, but used up my waning will to fight talking her out of the last flick she suggested.

The last movie I watched with my wife was No Country for Old Men.

It was decidedly non-sucky.