[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Classroom Management and the use of physical consequences.

irish

Teaching and the use of physical consequences.  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be okay with you if a teacher got physical with your child?

• Yes, if in the teacher's judgement it was necessary.
    • No way, not under any circumstance.
    • Depends on the situation.
    • Puddy.

Is there a place for physical contact in the classroom? I was thinking about this being that I work with some very challenging kids who need special assistance and attention (No, I've never hit a child, but I've had to bear hug a couple to prevent them from hurting themselves or others). When I went to school as a child (private school) the teachers (not all) would take it upon themselves to get physical with misbehaving students. From grabbing them by the ear, to hitting their knuckles with rulers, to flat out slapping them if they thought it was necessary. Now leave all the legalities out of the argument for the moment and just take this at face value. Would you allow one of your child's teachers to be physical with your child if they were misbehaving?

Discuss...

Edited by irish

Depends... if my kid is physically hurting another kid (or even the teacher given the recent story of 3rd graders plotting to kill their teacher) then by all means use appropriate physical force to correct or protect. If my kid is just being a clown or otherwise acting up, then you better not touch him unless you are prepared for me to hurt you severely.

We signed the slip to beat him. If he gets beaten at school, he gets beaten at home.

And that's exactly what used to happen when I was a kid. Hearing the story of what happened in school wasn't even a requirement for my parents. If I got a wack in school and they got a call at home, I was a shoe-in for a beaten when I got home as well.

How's the huddle hotties tourney coming along?

Looks like it's going about as well as can be expected.

It's not good to beat the kids. What do you do the next time and the time after that when they don't learn? Do you escalate the physical harm to the kid until they learn? Many kids would be amongst the non-living.

If you do it right, you don't have to keep it up. If you have to keep it up, you are helping no one. It has worked for thousands of years, why change??

It's not good to beat the kids. What do you do the next time and the time after that when they don't learn? Do you escalate the physical harm to the kid until they learn? Many kids would be amongst the non-living.

Very true. However, to each is own. I've known kids to respond differently to an isolated crack or threat of a crack from a parent/teacher. Constant beatens or even smacks when the kid isn't learning anything or improving are useless and will usually make the kid more defiant. Open communication and a little tough love goes a long way.

When it comes down to it, all training is either reward based or correction based. If the correction is not severe enough or not used at all, the training is completely ineffective. After all, if the undesired action is more fun or rewarding to the kid than the reward is and if the correction is mild enough, they'll simply do an on the spot cost analysis.

I mean, think about the punishment of getting sent home from school. Are you kidding me? That's a freaking punishment? Unless mom and dad have some f'ed up plans for you when you get there, that's a freaking vacation.

If you do it right, you don't have to keep it up. If you have to keep it up, you are helping no one. It has worked for thousands of years, why change??

When I was a kid, I didn't want to go to bed at night. I remember one time my Dad asked me if he had to take his belt off? I didn't know what that had to do with me going to bed. Yea, I grew up with punishment like that, but it doesn't help kids that need more comprehension.

I wouldnt even let my parents whack my kid nevermind a teacher. If they had to physically restrain my kid or protect themselves from my kid I would have to understand to a point. If like savage said they just whacked her for clowning around their would be hell to pay. I got choked by a teacher when I was in cathloic grammar school. actually held against the blackboard and choked. I was so embarrased in front of the other kids that I never even told my parents. My dad was a cop. It would have gotten ugly