[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamal Charles

buiznitch

Track speed, shiftiness, toughness (Mcfadden lacks this). You all are about to find out about what being raised in southeast Texas means. Football is religion here. In high school in his first game back from shoulder surgery, posted 371 yards on 49 carries against Midland Lee in 2004 ... had 400 yards on 31 carries and six TDs versus Spring Westfield and recorded 258 yards and four TDs in one half versus Baytown Sterling that year. Anyone from this area knows Midland Lee is no joke and least we forget the game was at noon (rescheduled) it was 92 degress that day with typical 90 percent humidity. If Mack Brown would have given this kid the carries he deserved we would have seen what he is truly capable of. That is why he left early because Brown is an idiot. I realize the stats are from High School but Brown would just not give him the carries he needs to produce. And less not forget about the games last year against Nebraska and Oklahoma St. that ol mister Brown finally decided to give the ball to Charles in the 4th quarter and they won those games. Totally misused in college football. Keep an eye on this kid and I hope he lands with a star on his helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlEsmN4vluA

Edited by buiznitch

After Ricky Williams and Cedric Benson, you'll understand if everyone is not jumping on the Longhorn bandwagon quite yet.

Plus he only weighs 200 pounds so he better be really tough.

Track speed, shiftiness, toughness (Mcfadden lacks this). You all are about to find out about what being raised in southeast Texas means. Football is religion here. In high school in his first game back from shoulder surgery, posted 371 yards on 49 carries against Midland Lee in 2004 ... had 400 yards on 31 carries and six TDs versus Spring Westfield and recorded 258 yards and four TDs in one half versus Baytown Sterling that year. Anyone from this area knows Midland Lee is no joke and least we forget the game was at noon (rescheduled) it was 92 degress that day with typical 90 percent humidity. If Mack Brown would have given this kid the carries he deserved we would have seen what he is truly capable of. That is why he left early because Brown is an idiot. I realize the stats are from High School but Brown would just not give him the carries he needs to produce. And less not forget about the games last year against Nebraska and Oklahoma St. that ol mister Brown finally decided to give the ball to Charles in the 4th quarter and they won those games. Totally misused in college football. Keep an eye on this kid and I hope he lands with a star on his helmet.

I'm a UT fan and feel Charles will be underrated and will be a solid pro, but much of what you say is total and complete hogwash. And ya know, if you are such a big fan, perhaps you should spell his name right. :wacko:

I'm a UT fan and feel Charles will be underrated and will be a solid pro, but much of what you say is total and complete hogwash. And ya know, if you are such a big fan, perhaps you should spell his name right. :wacko:

How is it hogwash its stats. LOL

If you are talking about high school stats, Benson brought Midland Lee to three straight state championships and rushed for 8423 yards (all-time record for Texas 5A). In his three championship games, he scored a total of 15 touchdowns. You really cannot read too much into high school stats. Benson rushed for over 3500 yards one year in what - eight games? He rushed for 51 TDs - IN ONE SEASON.

And yet he has not performed in the NFL

If you are talking about high school stats, Benson brought Midland Lee to three straight state championships and rushed for 8423 yards (all-time record for Texas 5A). In his three championship games, he scored a total of 15 touchdowns. You really cannot read too much into high school stats. Benson rushed for over 3500 yards one year in what - eight games? He rushed for 51 TDs - IN ONE SEASON.

And yet he has not performed in the NFL

Valid point and point taken. He was still 4th leading in rushing in Texas history and comes outs as a junior. Who knows what have happened if he had stayed. My point is I don't think Brown gave him enough carries and that wasn't going to change this year because of the hard on Brown has for McCoy. Just an opinion.

I didn't specify which part(s) of your eloquent post was hogwash. Obviously stats are stats, but some of your opinions border on ridiculous. But hey, whatever.

No Darin, stats are more than stats... That's why Colt Brennen is going to be the number one pick in the draft...

I think it's borderline insane to put him ahead of McFadden, Mendenhall or Stewart.

Previously discussed here:

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?showtopic=238433

My thoughts haven't changed any since January:

Charles has speed, but is usually off balance when he runs.

He's easy to knock down (notice I didn't say tackle? You look at him funny and he falls down)

He hasn't learned to switch hands instinctively and carries the ball awkwardly.

He would have benefitted by staying in school to work on the basics.

:wacko: Using high school stats & performance to project pro success. I'll bet Ryan Leaf had some superb high school numbers...

And that idiot Mack Brown - didn't he manage to win a national championship? I'd guess that Brown knows something about football and what a RB is capable of - look at the numbers he got out of Benson (and how Benson's talent translated into the pros).

After Ricky Williams and Cedric Benson, you'll understand if everyone is not jumping on the Longhorn bandwagon quite yet.

Plus he only weighs 200 pounds so he better be really tough.

I hear ya on this but Ricky and Cedric are different situations than Charles. Ricky was even a different situation than Cedric.

I like Charles quite a bit. I think he's a tougher runner than people give him credit for, he's very fast, and leaving TX early could be a good thing. Cedric and Ricky were 4 year starters at TX... Cedric has struggled with injuries since being drafted and Ricky (aside from his mary jane issues) hasn't been a model of health either. Can't remember who said it here on this board but someone put him somewhere between Tatum Bell and Clinton Portis... Tatum has breakaway speed but lacks toughness and Portis (at least in his first few years in Denver) had breakaway speed and is a hard nosed runner. I think he's closer but not quite on the level of Portis than Bell in that comparison.

And about Mack Brown winning a championship... let's be clear here folks. Mack Brown owes a great deal of gratitude to two guys named Vince Young and Tim Brewster for that championship. Before 2006, the grumblings that Mack couldn't win a big had turned into a dull roar. Those grumblings have started to ramp up again lately because Mack hasn't been able to match the recruiting classes since Tim Brewster left in 2001.

Minnesota stunk it up in Brewster's first year but in 2007 he managed to keep previous commits while adding a couple more in only a few weeks. IN his first full year of recruiting, Brewster put together a top 15-25 recruiting class (Rivals = 17th, CSTV = 20, Scout.com = 28). 31 recruits from 16 different states including some top prospects from Texas. Before Brewster arrived Minnesota consistently ranked around 50th in the nation for recruiting.

From Charles' NFL.com combine page: :wacko:

Analysis

Positives: Smooth, well proportioned athlete. ... Good quickness off the snap. ... Reads blocks well and knows when to explode into the line and when to exercise patience and allow the blocks to develop. ... Elusive in the open field. ... Good start and stop and lateral agility to make defenders miss. ... Natural runner who flashes the stiff-arm, spin and forward lean to consistently gain extra yardage after contact. ... Best attribute is pure, unadulterated speed. ... Rare acceleration to burst through the defense and breakaway. ... Averaged 20.1 yards on his 34 career TDs, including 35.7 on TD receptions. ... Has relatively fresh legs after only emerging as the full-time starter as a junior. ... At least adequate route-running and hands out of the backfield. ... Four-time All-American in track. ... Personal best 10.26 seconds in the 100-meter dash in winning the Big 12 title as a freshman.

Negatives: Looks smaller on film than the 6-1, 205 pounds Texas lists him as. ... Has struggled at times with fumbles, including a key lost fumble in a 28-21 loss to rival Oklahoma in 2007. ... At his best in the open field. ... Not a particularly physical back who will run over defenders in the hole. ... Willing, but limited pass blocker.

One thing mentioned in his overview that's interesting is that he really got stronger and had his best games as the 2007 season wore on. Rather than starting strong and just fading down the stretch.

Edited by kingfish247

:brew: Using high school stats & performance to project pro success. I'll bet Ryan Leaf had some superb high school numbers...

And that idiot Mack Brown - didn't he manage to win a national championship? I'd guess that Brown knows something about football and what a RB is capable of - look at the numbers he got out of Benson (and how Benson's talent translated into the pros).

:D:D

:wacko: Pretty much my thoughts, 100%. I just didn't have the desire to be so literal and actually explain last night. :D

I hear ya on this but Ricky and Cedric are different situations than Charles. Ricky was even a different situation than Cedric.

I like Charles quite a bit. I think he's a tougher runner than people give him credit for, he's very fast, and leaving TX early could be a good thing. Cedric and Ricky were 4 year starters at TX... Cedric has struggled with injuries since being drafted and Ricky (aside from his mary jane issues) hasn't been a model of health either. Can't remember who said it here on this board but someone put him somewhere between Tatum Bell and Clinton Portis... Tatum has breakaway speed but lacks toughness and Portis (at least in his first few years in Denver) had breakaway speed and is a hard nosed runner. I think he's closer but not quite on the level of Portis than Bell in that comparison.

And about Mack Brown winning a championship... let's be clear here folks. Mack Brown owes a great deal of gratitude to two guys named Vince Young and Tim Brewster for that championship. Before 2006, the grumblings that Mack couldn't win a big had turned into a dull roar. Those grumblings have started to ramp up again lately because Mack hasn't been able to match the recruiting classes since Tim Brewster left in 2001.

Minnesota stunk it up in Brewster's first year but in 2007 he managed to keep previous commits while adding a couple more in only a few weeks. IN his first full year of recruiting, Brewster put together a top 15-25 recruiting class (Rivals = 17th, CSTV = 20, Scout.com = 28). 31 recruits from 16 different states including some top prospects from Texas. Before Brewster arrived Minnesota consistently ranked around 50th in the nation for recruiting.

Absolutely correct on Mack Brown. He needs to send Young and Brewster a percentage of his check from here on out. The only thing Brown accomplished was costing Texas a National Championship by sitting Applewhite and starting Chrissy Simms.

Edited by buiznitch

Absolutely correct on Mack Brown. He needs to send Young and Brewster a percentage of his check from here on out. The only thing Brown accomplished was costing Texas a National Championship by sitting Applewhite and starting Chrissy Simms.

Yeah, 'cuz that was Brown's decision, 100%. :wacko:

And here all along I thought it was Brown's decision to finally bench the utterly mediocre Simms & replace him with Applewhite, who almost managed to pull the game vs CU out...

QUOTE(Riffraff @ 1/4/08 12:26pm)

Charles has speed, but is usually off balance when he runs.

He's easy to knock down (notice I didn't say tackle? You look at him funny and he falls down)

He hasn't learned to switch hands instinctively and carries the ball awkwardly.

He would have benefitted by staying in school to work on the basics.

Precisely what I was gonna bring up.

wow, how did it take me so long to find this thread?? Charles is the prototype for a good college back. He is quicker and faster than his college opposition. In the pros, unless you are Wesbrook type quick, you gotta change your game if you are undersized. Charles isn't shifty enough to be a Westbrook type, and doesn't have the leg drive to be a Lynch or Ryan Grant type. He's a tweener, which unfortunately usually means career back-up in the NFL, unless you are Priest Holmes or LT.

wow, how did it take me so long to find this thread?? Charles is the prototype for a good college back. He is quicker and faster than his college opposition. In the pros, unless you are Wesbrook type quick, you gotta change your game if you are undersized. Charles isn't shifty enough to be a Westbrook type, and doesn't have the leg drive to be a Lynch or Ryan Grant type. He's a tweener, which unfortunately usually means career back-up in the NFL, unless you are Priest Holmes or LT.

"Westbrook type quick" I think he ran a 4.57 40 time. Charles ran a 4.37 at the combine and has ran it in the 4.2 range. I think that more than qualifies for NFL speed.

Edited by buiznitch

Which is the exact reason that 40 times mean next to nothing in this league. QUICKNESS! I did not say speed...say it with me now...QUICKNESS. Is it really your point that Charles is quicker than Westbrook? Really? Did I just read that?? Really? They don't even make homer glasses that thick....and I would know.