[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rookie Salaries

Footballjoe

(KFFL) Calvin Watkins, of The Dallas Morning News, reports NFL owners and some players feel salaries for rookies need to slow down. The top three picks in the 2007 NFL Draft signed contracts that totaled $174.5 million. Several NFL owners have complained that spending that much is hurting the game. A possible solution could be a rookie salary cap. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said, "We do want to look at that. I think it's important to veteran players. As a veteran player, you have proved your performance on an NFL field, and I think that should be rewarded. So when you see players come in that have not played in the NFL and it's still unclear whether they can still play on a certain level in the NFL, I think that's a fair point."

I have thought this way for a long time. Why should a rookie get outragous money when he has not proven a thing. It is like someone fresh out of college getting hired by your company and making more than you, who is a proven employee. What's worse is I heard that the #1 pick demands a 10% increase than what the previous years #1 recieved.

What is worse is that about half of those top stars end up to be outright flops and only a fraction end up actually worth that sort of money. I would guess the NFLPA would back a salaryu cap for rookies since it means more money for veterans - AKA current union members. It is truly amazing the sort of money that is paid. One on hand, it seems it is a problem that the team owners have created themselves by paying it but how much of it is agents who force the hand of owners via holdouts and such?

It does need correction. The NFL is too good of a thing to mess up. How does the NFL compare to NBA or MLB in paying rookie salaries?

What is worse is that about half of those top stars end up to be outright flops and only a fraction end up actually worth that sort of money. I would guess the NFLPA would back a salaryu cap for rookies since it means more money for veterans - AKA current union members. It is truly amazing the sort of money that is paid. One on hand, it seems it is a problem that the team owners have created themselves by paying it but how much of it is agents who force the hand of owners via holdouts and such?

It does need correction. The NFL is too good of a thing to mess up. How does the NFL compare to NBA or MLB in paying rookie salaries?

I heard this discussed on Colin Cowherd the other day. If I understood it corectly the vets are ok with the high rookie salaries because it helps them when renewing their contract.

....having the CBA address slotting rookie salaries. It would accomplish multiple objectives. First off, it would rein in the salaries & bonus money paid to rookies that are spiraling out of control. Secondly, it wouldn't cripple teams cap-wise if they happen to draft a bust high up in the draft. Thirdly, it would effectively end all rookie hold outs, as the rookie & their agent would lose all leverage.

It would be easy to get past the NFL management - they'd be glad to see agents lose their bargaining power with rookies. It ought to be easy to get past the NFLPA - vets who have proven themselves have to be absolutely sick to see unproven bonus babies collecting such incredible rewards despite having shown nothing at the NFL level. The agents would have no say in the issue - they are licensed through the NFLPA and can only do business with NFL players if sanctioned by the union. That would completely solve the problem of making the top few picks virtually untradable.

It seem awfully simple, and I can't quite understand why it wasn't implemented years ago.

I heard this discussed on Colin Cowherd the other day. If I understood it corectly the vets are ok with the high rookie salaries because it helps them when renewing their contract.

One problem, not every vet can make this money, but let's say they can. There's only so much money which isn't going to rise as fast as these rookie salaries seem to be doing. Sooner rather than later, this is going to become a huge problem, to me it has been for 3-5 years. I see the owners doing something about this very very soon, and with the CBA coming up as well, I see big changes being made. I agree with vets getting what they deserve, rookies need to be reigned in. Where else are these players going to make any money of this magnitude even if it gets "fixed"?

They're still making tons of cash. I can't see the NFL pricing itself out of business.

The problem as I see it is there is such a difference in career length between the positions. RB's have a short window and usually can make an immediate impact (AD for instance), QBs and WRs take more time to learn their craft. Therein lies part of the problem, teams have to spend so much money on these rookies they can not afford to "teach" them. I think that is part of the reason we have had so many busts lately, and conversly why players like Romo and Brady who were given time to develope have performed much higher than their draft pick. RB's don't need the length of the learning curve and can usually contribute during their rookie year. However, typically they have a short career.

So do you have a rookie cap based on position as well as pick #? RB's get more than WR's/QB's at the same draft point? DE more than OT?

What is worse is that about half of those top stars end up to be outright flops and only a fraction end up actually worth that sort of money. I would guess the NFLPA would back a salaryu cap for rookies since it means more money for veterans - AKA current union members.

They also need to start helping out the players that helped build the league into what it is... The older guys that didn't see a ton of money during their days. The guys who now need a lot of medical help for all the physical abuse they took over the years. I don't know if you caught it DMD, but during the Galloway 5k a week ago there was a former 49er who was injured during play. I want to say in the last 80's... He was temporarily paralyzed and to this day has no use of his right arm. As of last week, Gene Upshaw and his committee had sent 9 thousand dollars total to him...

How many millions does Gene make a year again?

Asinine.

I don't know if you caught it DMD, but during the Galloway 5k a week ago there was a former 49er who was injured during play. I want to say in the last 80's... He was temporarily paralyzed and to this day has no use of his right arm. As of last week, Gene Upshaw and his committee had sent 9 thousand dollars total to him...

Jeff Fuller

They also need to start helping out the players that helped build the league into what it is... The older guys that didn't see a ton of money during their days. The guys who now need a lot of medical help for all the physical abuse they took over the years. I don't know if you caught it DMD, but during the Galloway 5k a week ago there was a former 49er who was injured during play. I want to say in the last 80's... He was temporarily paralyzed and to this day has no use of his right arm. As of last week, Gene Upshaw and his committee had sent 9 thousand dollars total to him...

How many millions does Gene make a year again?

Asinine.

Agree 100%, very good point.