[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Immigrants

westvirginia

We need a sensible combination of immigration reform so that decent folk can come through the front door all legit, and machine gun towers along the border to deter those who would break in our back window under cover of darkness. We may be a nation of immigrants, but we're also a nation of laws. Too bad our government doesn't have the balls to deal with this issue. We all know what needs to be done. Its just either too politically incorrect for some, or too harmful to business' interests for others.

Edited by yo mama

$9000 per person is a little hard to believe. I know it is costly but that seems too high.

Specialty english classes? I'd like to see if these classes are necessary for legal immigrants and illegals add a few kids or they are set up just for illegals to be.

I have mixed feelings on illegals. I would like to see them return to their own countries but is tough to do now.

I like how the article bundles legal immigrants and illegals together in this emotionally charged issue to convolute and distort the facts.

what a jackhole.

On one hand I agree. On the other, the article does state that even legal immigrants tend to be more costly on our welfare system. Also the number of legal immigrants that can not speak English is quite large. Trust me I know I have several working for me, and 100s working on my job sites. The cost of these legal immigrants, and their children is very high. As the article stated ESL classes are very expensive. ESL teachers are paid considerably higher than normal teachers. You also have to look at the additional printing cost of printing almost all forms in multiple languages now as well. Don't get me wrong, with out legal immigrants, and probably without illegal immigrants as well, we would see some significant inflation, which would probably offset a great deal of the cost that both legals and illegals have on the system.

Mayflower was full of illegals by the way

False. The Mayflower (and Speedwell) were full immigrants, but they were not "illegal" because the Native Americans didn't have any law regulating immigration.

And look what that got them.

We need a sensible combination of immigration reform so that decent folk can come through the front door all legit, and machine gun towers along the border to deter those who would break in our back window under cover of darkness. We may be a nation of immigrants, but we're also a nation of laws. Too bad our government doesn't have the balls to deal with this issue. We all know what needs to be done. Its just either too politically incorrect for some, or too harmful to business' interests for others.

Good info here.

The part about bringing in the legitimate people more easily is something that isn't discussed nearly enough. I have a friend from Colombia who has a Master's degree in molecular biology, has been legally employed at her current job for the past 5 or so years, and is married to an American citizen. She's spent the past few years jumping through a number of hoops and has had to pay something like $15k in attorney's fees... and is JUST NOW getting her green card. It's ridiculous.

exactly

False. The Mayflower (and Speedwell) were full immigrants, but they were not "illegal" because the Native Americans didn't have any law regulating immigration.

And look what that got them.

An NFL team in Washington DC?