[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NHL Playoffs

chiefjay

I have never seen a head coach as whiny or defeated in the middle of a series as Michel Therrien was in the post game press conference. He admitted they have no answers for the Wings and then blamed the officiating for their struggles. He blamed Wings obstruction in the nuetral zone for the Pens lack of offense, and he occused Ozzie of diving and ruining their power play. I am not posting this to argue his points. I am posting this because he looks beat and he is grasping at straws. I know a lot of Pen fans are upset with the lack of production from certain guys, like Malkin, but after seeing this you might want to look behind the bench.

I'm not defending him, as I didn't hear the remarks. However, as a fan, I'm extremely frustrated. I can only imagine how he feels, so, it might have been an "in the moment" response. I certainly don't like the whining about officials, but, it seems these days everyone does it (Coaches, Players, Fans, Huddlers) constantly. As far as his being a problem, I think he has done a phenomenal job to get them where they are at this season, but, in my mind, he is failing in this series just as much as the entire team is. The commentators mentioned that Crosby needs to get more ice time. In this stage of needing a spark, I would think that Therrien would be thinking the same thing. I'm just holding out hope that home ice brings a new look on this series, or my frustration won't last much longer.

To the coaching note, Babcock has to get a lot of credit. The Wings play disciplined hockey. You rarely find them out of position, which is why the Pens are having so much trouble coming up with scoring chances. Though I am extremely frustrated watching this, one has to be impressed with how the Wings are handling themselves thus far. Perhaps the Pens inexperience, both on the ice, and behind the bench, is shining through ? :wacko:

Edited by Menudo

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And listen, the Pens are good at home, if they win the next two, it becomes a 3 game series. This thing ain't over yet. :wacko:

Who would have thought that out of the two of us, you would be the optimist........... :D

I sure hope you are right :D

I think Detroit is playing at a very high level right now and playing at home helps a ton. Detroit plays very good two way hockey and when it's on it's hard to penetrate, that said Pitt has has some chances and either Ozzie stopped them or they fanned and a couple of times Detroit's Def was there to prevent a rebound chance.

Series doesn't start until one team wins on the road, I truely believe that.

I think Babcock is a helluva coach but I also believe Zetteberg and Datsyuk are two of the best two way players in the world plus they play tough.

Just one question, why does Gary Roberts think he can just punch anyone at anytime? I think we need to get NSAB on him.

Pens are tough, they'll be strong in Pittsburgh.

I think Detroit is playing at a very high level right now and playing at home helps a ton. Detroit plays very good two way hockey and when it's on it's hard to penetrate, that said Pitt has has some chances and either Ozzie stopped them or they fanned and a couple of times Detroit's Def was there to prevent a rebound chance.

Series doesn't start until one team wins on the road, I truely believe that.

I think Babcock is a helluva coach but I also believe Zetteberg and Datsyuk are two of the best two way players in the world plus they play tough.

Just one question, why does Gary Roberts think he can just punch anyone at anytime? I think we need to get NSAB on him.

Pens are tough, they'll be strong in Pittsburgh.

I LOVE Gary Roberts, and the toughness he brings to the team. However, that punch was cheap and uncalled for. :wacko:

Didn't see the presser, but Therrien took a bunch of young kids and brought them to the Stanely Cup Finals in a season where they were riddled with injuries. I give MAJOR props to him. I'm not a fan of whining in the press conferences, and if he did that, I'm a little disappointed, but putting all the blamie on Therrien is pretty ridiculous and stupid.

"After the game last night, Penguins coach Michel Therrien accused the Red Wings of being "good on obstruction" in one rant and accused Detroit goaltender Chris Osgood of diving in another. Those are the things a desperate man says as he's reaching for any kind of lifeline. It was a little sad to watch him stoop to that level."

Post Gazette

And to say that my comments were rediculous and stupid when you didnt even see what I was referring to is just short sighted. Look, when two games are as lopsided as these two have been how do you not look behind the bench. Especially, when the guy supposed to be sailing the ship can only point fingers at the league, the officials, and the other teams goalie when his team isnt getting it done.

"After the game last night, Penguins coach Michel Therrien accused the Red Wings of being "good on obstruction" in one rant and accused Detroit goaltender Chris Osgood of diving in another. Those are the things a desperate man says as he's reaching for any kind of lifeline. It was a little sad to watch him stoop to that level."

Post Gazette

And to say that my comments were rediculous and stupid when you didnt even see what I was referring to is just short sighted. Look, when two games are as lopsided as these two have been how do you not look behind the bench. Especially, when the guy supposed to be sailing the ship can only point fingers at the league, the officials, and the other teams goalie when his team isnt getting it done.

No, I said your comments were ridiculous and stupid (sorry for the possible poor choice of words but I am a disgruntled Penguins fan this morning) for blaming Therrien on the Penguins success, or lackthereof. I don't agree with what Therrien said in the press conference. He should have been motivating his team, not looking for excuses. Those few plays or calls that he's whining about, true or not, are not making the difference in the can of whoopass the Wings are laying on the Pens.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

He should have been motivating his team, not looking for excuses. Those few plays or calls that he's whining about, true or not, are not making the difference in the can of whoopass the Wings are layong on the Pens.

This is the point I was trying to make. I know this thing is far from over. We all know how momentum in hockey can change at the drop of a hat and the series will change right along with it. But this is no way to motivate and to be honest he looks beat. If I was a Pens fan i would find that unacceptable.

This is the point I was trying to make. I know this thing is far from over. We all know how momentum in hockey can change at the drop of a hat and the series will change right along with it. But this is no way to motivate and to be honest he looks beat. If I was a Pens fan i would find that unacceptable.

Right, agree, but I took exception to blaming him as a whole, which were what my initial comments were directed at. I think he's done a GREAT job with this team all year.

Look, plain and simple. The Pens are good at home. They need to use the crowd, come up with a game plan, and win the 2 at home and make this a 3 game series going back to Detroit. Anything else and the fat lady will be singing sooner rather than later.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Right, agree, but I took exception to blaming him as a whole, which were what my initial comments were directed it.

Look, plain and simple. The Pens are good at home. They need to use the crowd, come up with a game plan, and win the 2 at home and make this a 3 game series going back to Detroit. Anything else and the fat lady will be singing sooner rather than later.

Oh, and to call the Penguins just a group of young kids is ridiculous and stupid. Not to mention redundant.

:irishwinky:

Oh, and to call the Penguins just a group of young kids is ridiculous and stupid. Not to mention redundant.

:irishwinky:

Don't link all of us good Penguin fans in with Hugh One. He's a ridiculous homer who has done nothing but make excuses this entire thread.

:wacko:

:D

Edited by Menudo

Bottom line is the Pens are getting their asses handed to them PERIOD. End of story, at least for the first 2 games. If things do not change here at home quickly, this will be over in 4 and I will be hughly disappointed, not only as a Pens fan, but as a hockey fan in general.

Now here comes the part that'll make some of you laugh, but it's all good. I'm breaking out the mojo tonight. My old scholl Lemieux game jersey will be coming out of the closet and I will be wearing it. Pens have never lost while I wear that jersey, although I haven't worn it in some time. If Detroit wins yet again while I don the magic jersey, I will officially retire it. Not from wearing it, but from its "magic jersey" status.

Being that the Pens can choose the matchups better at home, I'd actually like to see the Staal line matched up with the Zetterberg line. As for trying to get Crosby away from Detroit's top D pairing, I don't think it would matter much as they have the best top 4 defensemen in the league. I always knew that when they acquired Stuart(from San Jose?) that would be hugh and indeed he's coming up big. Datsyuk, IMO, has been their best forward even though he's been kept off the scoreboard. This is the way I envisioned Malkin playing. Well maybe not quite as well defensively. But Malkin has been a ghost. Unless, of course he commits an obvious hooking penalty.

Just an interesting stat to through out there. Records in the playoffs when scoring first:

Detroit 12-1

Pens 10-0

So I'd say the first goal is hugh. I look for the Pens to break through early in this game and get that first goal. But it still won't be easy. Pens win 3-2 in OT. :wacko:

Bottom line is the Pens are getting their asses handed to them PERIOD. End of story, at least for the first 2 games. If things do not change here at home quickly, this will be over in 4 and I will be hughly disappointed, not only as a Pens fan, but as a hockey fan in general.

Now here comes the part that'll make some of you laugh, but it's all good. I'm breaking out the mojo tonight. My old scholl Lemieux game jersey will be coming out of the closet and I will be wearing it. Pens have never lost while I wear that jersey, although I haven't worn it in some time. If Detroit wins yet again while I don the magic jersey, I will officially retire it. Not from wearing it, but from its "magic jersey" status.

Being that the Pens can choose the matchups better at home, I'd actually like to see the Staal line matched up with the Zetterberg line. As for trying to get Crosby away from Detroit's top D pairing, I don't think it would matter much as they have the best top 4 defensemen in the league. I always knew that when they acquired Stuart(from San Jose?) that would be hugh and indeed he's coming up big. Datsyuk, IMO, has been their best forward even though he's been kept off the scoreboard. This is the way I envisioned Malkin playing. Well maybe not quite as well defensively. But Malkin has been a ghost. Unless, of course he commits an obvious hooking penalty.

Just an interesting stat to through out there. Records in the playoffs when scoring first:

Detroit 12-1

Pens 10-0

So I'd say the first goal is hugh. I look for the Pens to break through early in this game and get that first goal. But it still won't be easy. Pens win 3-2 in OT. :D

I've worn my Malkin jersey for the first two games of the series, perhaps I shouldn't wear it tonight. I've got a Crosby t-shirt I could wear instead. :wacko:

I've worn my Malkin jersey for the first two games of the series, perhaps I shouldn't wear it tonight. I've got a Crosby t-shirt I could wear instead. :wacko:

Yeah...gotta change hings up a bit. Put Malkin to bed. That's where he seems to want to be anyway.

Seriously...a 21-year old in the Stanley Cup Finals who is TIRED???

After the Pens dispatched my Rangers I was pulling for them to take Detroit...but to take 4 of 5 from the Wings? Not gonna happen.

Sydor in for Letang. I like it, bring in a 36 year old defensemen for a young kid whose been struggling. Hope it helps.

I was just coming in to post this. He has 2 cups and experience. Me thinks he should have been in to begin with if he was really healthy. Either way, the Filpila goal might have something to do with this decision.