[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Source For Biofuels

BiggieFries

This needs to be stopped right now.

I saw "I am Legend". This can only lead to quasi-zombies roaming the streets. :D

That was my first thought. :wacko: I prefer to use Soylent Green in my car. It's the fuel of the future. :D

Edited by Egret

Doesn't matter. The agricultural lobby already has us well on our way down the wrong road in corn based Ethanol. It really does not matter what is best for our country. It never has mattered. It is 100% political.

Doesn't matter. The agricultural lobby already has us well on our way down the wrong road in corn based Ethanol. It really does not matter what is best for our country. It never has mattered. It is 100% political.

:brew::D:D

If this was a viable, national scale technology, that can be implemented before the real cultural and international meltdowns start, then great. Just like battery technology over the last 15-20 years, Big Corn (replacing "Big Oil") will figure out a way to kill this off.

...There is even talk that governments could fall if they cannot bring food costs down.

One factor being blamed for the price hikes is the use of government subsidies to promote the use of corn for ethanol production. An estimated 30% of America’s corn crop now goes to fuel, not food.

At this pont, I am pretty much fed up with the extreme opinions of both sides of the Climal Warnging camps. The reality is that these Bozos are not able to tell us what the weather is going to be like with 60% certainty three friggen days out, and if climate drives weather, how can any of these people say with any form of certainty what is going to happen in one, three or ten years from now.

I am finally pretty comfortable with a few things after all of the time a research into the issue I have invested:

1) I am pretty sure that the sun and its activity has a great deal to do with what is going on to a much greater degree than any other factor and that independent of athropogenic forcing, the earth WILL wenter another ice age and that will kill many more people than warming can ever get close to.

2) I will be "green" as best I can as long as it makes financial sense for me to be so. Just by changing my driving habits (and pissing off the Indy racers on the public roads) I have added about 3-5 MPG to my car's performance (about three extra commutes to/from work per every ten gallons of gas). I expect my Government to exhibit the same attitude.

3) I think that despite the concerns about CO2, the security of our country weaning itself off of Middle east dependency is important enough for us to explore coal to liquid fuel technology considering it is now 1/3 the price comparatively to what a barrel of oil is for gasoline production. This would create jobs and industry here at home and the process would, out of competative business pressure, become cleaner and more efficient (CO2 scrubbers from things like egg shells for example :D ) * . This country after all is considered by many to be the "Middle East of Coal reserves". We have to figure out a way to exploit them better. This is not to eschew developement of other power technologies.

* But what does this do to the price / availability of fresh eggs if incorporated to maximum CO2 absorbtion and H2 production as an energy source? :wacko:

Edited by McBoog

:brew::D:D

If this was a viable, national scale technology, that can be implemented before the real cultural and international meltdowns start, then great. Just like battery technology over the last 15-20 years, Big Corn (replacing "Big Oil") will figure out a way to kill this off.

...There is even talk that governments could fall if they cannot bring food costs down.

One factor being blamed for the price hikes is the use of government subsidies to promote the use of corn for ethanol production. An estimated 30% of America’s corn crop now goes to fuel, not food.

At this pont, I am pretty much fed up with the extreme opinions of both sides of the Climal Warnging camps. The reality is that these Bozos are not able to tell us what the weather is going to be like with 60% certainty three friggen days out, and if climate drives weather, how can any of these people say with any form of certainty what is going to happen in one, three or ten years from now.

I am finally pretty comfortable with a few things after all of the time a research into the issue I have invested:

1) I am pretty sure that the sun and its activity has a great deal to do with what is going on to a much greater degree than any other factor and that independent of athropogenic forcing, the earth WILL wenter another ice age and that will kill many more people than warming can ever get close to.

2) I will be "green" as best I can as long as it makes financial sense for me to be so. Just by changing my driving habits (and pissing off the Indy racers on the public roads) I have added about 3-5 MPG to my car's performance (about three extra commutes to/from work per every ten gallons of gas). I expect my Government to exhibit the same attitude.

3) I think that despite the concerns about CO2, the security of our country weaning itself off of Middle east dependency is important enough for us to explore coal to liquid fuel technology considering it is now 1/3 the price comparatively to what a barrel of oil is for gasoline production. This would create jobs and industry here at home and the process would, out of competative business pressure, become cleaner and more efficient (CO2 scrubbers from things like egg shells for example :D ) * . This country after all is considered by many to be the "Middle East of Coal reserves". We have to figure out a way to exploit them better. This is not to eschew developement of other power technologies.

* But what does this do to the price / availability of fresh eggs if incorporated to maximum CO2 absorbtion and H2 production as an energy source? :wacko:

where did you get those little green stars from? :D

• 1 month later...

As pointed out in the article that H8 linked to, the problem with fermentation processes is scale-up and continuous processing. It's one thing to find a bug that secretes fuel. It's another thing to get them to do it in a sufficient amount and extract it from the broth in a way that doesn't kill the microbes. These are some of the many promising ideas out there that become reasonable at $140/bbl.