[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I've been bike riding

BigMikeinNY

Once the weather here in good 'ole Southern NY got a little nicer, I bought my self a mountain bike. I haven't ridden a bike in 10 years, and well, let me tell you, it's like they say, "ridin' a bike"

I'm outta shape with the 'ole cardio, thats a given. I did 5 miles the past few days and today I did 8 miles (I am pooped)

Is my butt supposed to hurt this bad?

Is bike riding everyday ok, or do the legs need days rest just like the upperbody when weight lifting?

BM

Your butt is gonna take a beating :wacko: ...still, if it's hurtin' after only a couple short rides, you may want to check into a different seat.

Is bike riding everyday ok, or do the legs need days rest just like the upperbody when weight lifting?

I started commuting on my bike last summer, got "dead legs" for the first 2-3 weeks or so. I'd probably do an every other day/2 out of 3 days schedule, because it seems to me that biking works leg muscles that you don't use otherwise. Give them a few weeks to build up and then I'd guess the recommended (if your doing anything that might be labeled "serious" training) would be about 5 days a week.

http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-Adult-Comfor...e/dp/B000DZF6UQ

Buy a gel seat.

You can ride a bike every day of the week, just ask any 12 year old.

Edited by Riffraff

You can ride a bike every day of the week, just ask any 12 year old.

There's a difference between cruising around to the corner malt shop and logging hard miles.

There's a difference between cruising around to the corner malt shop and logging hard miles.

Yup. Quite as few years I rode to work during the warm months. Everyday.

It was mostly level ground though, if he's doing terrain/hills it would make a huge difference.

If you don't have a gel seat, GET ONE. And yes, the grundle will be sore for the first week or two, but it gets much better.

Also, make sure you have a water bottle rack on your bike and bring water or gatorade on your rides. Hydration is everything. Take small sips every few miles. If you're waiting until you're thirsty, you're waiting too long. Water on a bike is like gas in your car. It keeps you moving and helps prevent bonking.

I ride between 5 and 7 days a week.

Another one for the Gel Seat. Makes a BIG difference.

How often you ride depends on the intensity and duration of your rides. If your riding some flat trails it's not nearly as much work as it is for some technical single track. Just listen to your body. If you are doing some hard stuff you can still mix it up with some easy stuff and still get your heart rate up without beating on your legs too bad.

Remember one thing about the Gel Seat....it will only help.

1) You are probably a fat mofo and

2) that part of your body isn't used to supporting your weight. Especially an inflated "I need to get less fat" weight.

In a few months you will be fine. You just have to work through it.

Yup, just like there's also a difference between riding 5-8 miles and "logging hard miles". The whole reason for resting is to allow yourself to repair broken down muscle. My guess is that, unless you increase to longer and faster rides, that's not going to be an issue at least after a week or so.

Remember one thing about the Gel Seat....it will only help.

1) You are probably a fat mofo and

2) that part of your body isn't used to supporting your weight. Especially an inflated "I need to get less fat" weight.

In a few months you will be fine. You just have to work through it.

Let your heart rate decide how far to push yourself. For me it's like work and I push myself as much as I can.

Swimming is really the best low impact aerobic exercise because your whole body in in play, but bike riding isn't too far behind. Besides the scenery can be very good.

It's all relative, so let's be supportive instead of elitist?

That is not my intention. Mike wanted to know if he needed to take days off like in weight training and somebody rightfully explained that people ride every day. Then Chavez implied Mike was doing something that was more than just riding around. Well, I'm assuming that if he's only doing 5-8 miles, he's also not going balls out crazy doing it.

I always think the best way to get into a workout routine is to pick a level of exertion that is not going to require a ton of recovery and do it nearly every day to get into a groove. Then, perhaps when you've gotten to a base level of conditioning, you can increase the load until you need to worry about recovery.

Unless Mike has been bed ridden for the last year, a moderate 5-8 mile ride is just such a level that is great to start with and shouldn't be so severe that he should take days off as a rule. One day becomes two, then three. And the next thing you know, you're riding maybe once or twice a week. And at 5-8 miles per ride, once or twice a week is going to get you nowhere.

I applaud anyone for getting out there and riding.

Get a wide seat(with springs or gel cover) and some bike shorts. They work well.

Uh, seriously? :wacko: Why not just get a banana seat? Maybe some streamers off the handlebars? How about a little bell? Ching-ching!

There are plenty of comfortable seats that have no springs or gel crap.

not an expert, but from what I've been told, the problem with the big cushy seats is they increase the amount of friction and inefficiency in your pedaling. better off keeping the original seat and keeping the rides fairly short until your ass gets used to the beating. oh and get some bike shorts with the little crotchpad sewed in.

make sure you get a kickstand as well.

:D:wacko:

What I like about the bike is that the scenery goes by faster. Walking/jogging/runninggggggggggg just feels like you are going nowhere slowly. I don't get bored on the bike whereas the other options are less preferable to driving nails through my snarklies!

not an expert, but from what I've been told, the problem with the big cushy seats is they increase the amount of friction and inefficiency in your pedaling. better off keeping the original seat and keeping the rides fairly short until your ass gets used to the beating. oh and get some bike shorts with the little crotchpad sewed in.

ding, ding, ding...