[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bike to work week

Chavez

Get yer fat ass outta yer car and onto a bike

May is National Bike Month; May 12-16th is Bike-To-Work Week; and May 16th is Bike-To-Work Day. If you haven’t already put down the car keys and started to “Go By Bike,” here’s how to get started pedaling to wherever duty calls. You’ll improve your fitness. You’ll save money. And you’ll help ease pollution and traffic congestion. What are you waiting for?

Step 1: The Bike. If you don’t already have one, get a bike. There are all kinds of bikes available these days: road bikes, mountain bikes, hybrid bikes, recumbent bikes, and even commuter bikes. The list goes on and on. Some are better suited for commuting than others, but don’t worry if you don’t have the latest and greatest model. As long as it rolls, and as long as it’s safe, pretty much any bike will work as a commuter. But whatever bike you decide to ride, make sure it’s up to the task. Stop by your local bike shop and have them throw a tune-up on it. While you’re there, ask the shop for some commuting tips. These people ride bikes more than anybody you may know and you can learn a lot from their experience.

Step 2: The Bike Stuff. Make sure you have the biking essentials. To ride safely and comfortably, you’ll need things like a helmet, pump, tool kit, and water bottle. While not absolutely necessary, cycling-specific clothing will help make your ride more enjoyable. Cycling clothing is designed for on-bike performance and offers the latest in moisture-wicking, technical fabrics. You can ride in jeans and a t-shirt, but you’ll be more comfortable in a pair of cycling shorts and a jersey. If you’re not comfy in the tights, that’s ok. There are liners available that will put padding in all the right places and that are great for shorter commutes. Ask your local bike shop about the range of clothing options available and decide which one is right for you.

Step 3: The Route. You might be able to ride on the same roads you drive to work on, or you might need to find a more bike-friendly way to work. Consult your local bike shop to see if they have any maps showing bike-friendly routes in your area. Or, use an on-line mapping service like MapQuest to help design a route. Make sure you select the “Avoid Highways” options. Once you have a route plotted, keep in mind that it generally takes about twice as long to ride as it does to drive, so plan accordingly. You may want to ride your bike to work and back over the weekend to gauge the time and distance that will be required. A test run will also help you understand your route and make any necessary changes. If you can’t commit to a long commute, consider cutting the route in half. Drive half-way and ride the rest. Or, drive to work with your bike and then ride home. The next morning, ride to work and then drive home at the end of the day.

Step 4: The Packing. If you’re riding to work, you’ll likely need to bring a few things with you: a change of clothes, lunch, possibly a lap top. One of the most popular options is a simple backpack. Another option is a bike messenger bag. If your bike’s compatible, a rear rack is a great way to carry a load. Talk to your local bike shop about your options and select the one that’s right for you.

Step 5: The Knowledge. It’s important that you’re safe when you ride, so make sure you understand the rules of the road. Bicycles are required to follow the same road rules as cars, so make sure you obey traffic signs, signals, and pavement markings.

Step 6: The Preparation. Before you hop on your bike, make sure that your tires are properly inflated and that your brakes are adjusted properly and are working. Adopting a simple bike-check routine before each and every ride will help make sure your bike is safe and operating at peak efficiency.

Step 7: Enjoy The Ride. Riding a bike lets you see the world at a different speed that you’re probably used to and you’ll probably start to notice the things you’ve been missing sitting behind the wheel. Birds singing. Flowers blooming. Quaint neighborhoods and intriguing little shops. Soak it all in as you save money, get in shape, and help cut pollution.

Step 8: Make It A Way Of Life. Now that you’ve started, don’t stop. Set a goal to ride a certain number of days a week or a month. Before you know it, you’ll be riding more than you drive, and you’ll feel better than ever.

So I guess I should get my fat ass out of bed, ride around the block, park my bike in my garage, and go sit in my Lazy-Boy chair like I do every other day? :wacko:

In your case, I recommend tying 4 or 5 cigarettes together and smoking them all at once while you ride.

May is National Bike Month; May 12-16th is Bike-To-Work Week

Terrible timing as luck would have it:

My local forcast:

Today: Cloudy and windy with periods of rain. Cold. High 46F. Winds NE at 25 to 40 mph. Rainfall around a half an inch.

Tonight: Windy with rain showers early then partly cloudy overnight. Low 46F. Winds N at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 50%. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph.

Tomorrow: Generally sunny. Warmer. High 66F. Winds NNE at 15 to 25 mph.

Tomorrow night: Clear. Low 48F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the mid 50s.

Thursday: Occasional showers possible. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the low 50s.

Friday: Occasional showers possible. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 50s.

:wacko:

I'd ride my bike to work everyday if I didn't have to wear a suit or similar attire. There's no gym or shower at my office, and I'm not prepared to stew in my own ass-sweat all day. Besides, I already get "good hippie points" for living so close to work.

Edited by yo mama

60-mile round trip ride for me. No f'n way. Most of us outside of hippies gave up bike riding at 15.

There are hippies in India, China and europe? :wacko:

60 miles is too far but you could ride a few this weekend.

Thursday: Occasional showers possible. Highs in the low 70s and lows in the low 50s.

Friday: Occasional showers possible. Highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 50s.

:wacko:

Depending on the length of your commute, "occasional showers" may or may not mean much.

I have a 15 minute ride, and it seems that on most days that they predict "scattered showers" I can make it to and from work with nary a drop landing on me.

Depending on the length of your commute, "occasional showers" may or may not mean much.

I have a 15 minute ride, and it seems that on most days that they predict "scattered showers" I can make it to and from work with nary a drop landing on me.

And yet, you're prolly swimming in your own gravy once you get there. I just don't have the heart to subject everyone to my stink. I'll save riding the bike for times when I can jump in the shower as soon as I'm done.