[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why can't I find a transcript of Obama's speech in Portland, OR?

westvirginia

I heard it contained the following:

"We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK."

And I want to verify. Why does another country have anything to say at all about the car we drive, the temp settings on our thermostats, etc.?

here is one

exerpt:

All right. So that's what we want to do on global warming here in the United States. We are also going to have to negotiate with other countries. China, India, in particular Brazil. They are growing so fast that they are consuming more and more energy and pretty soon, if their carbon footprint even approaches ours, we're goners. That's part of the reason why we've got to make the investment. We got to lead by example. If we lead by example, if we lead by example, then we can actually export and license technologies that have been invented here to help them deal with their growth pains. But keep in mind, you're right, we can't tell them don't grow. We can't drive our SUVs and, you know, eat as much as we want and keep our homes on, you know, 72 degrees at all times, whether we're living in the desert or we're living in the tundra and then just expect every other country is going to say OK, you know, you guys go ahead keep on using 25 percent of the world's energy, even though you only account for 3 percent of the population, and we'll be fine. Don't worry about us. That's not leadership.

Here is the important part:

"If we lead by example, if we lead by example, then we can actually export and license technologies that have been invented here to help them deal with their growth pains"

Cha-ching. There's gold in them thar greens if we just put some effort into it now when the price of fuels has made experimental alternatives more economically feasible than ever. Don't artificially lower the price of gas, don't tap the strategic reserves... just do what makes economic sense and look into the other options.

I heard it contained the following:

"We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK."

And I want to verify. Why does another country have anything to say at all about the car we drive, the temp settings on our thermostats, etc.?

I think you should ask President Bush why he went begging to Saudi Arabian leaders recently about pumping more of that Middle Eastern black gold.

I think you should ask President Bush why he went begging to Saudi Arabian leaders recently about pumping more of that Middle Eastern black gold.

It all fairness, when that didn't work Congress threatened to sue the OPEC. So President Bush isn't the only politician employing retarded tactics in an effort to lower gas prices. The fact is, they aren't going lower as long as the dollar is sucking wind. Supply of crude oil is less of a problem than a bottle neck in refining capacity. And $4 a gallon isn't expensive; we pay more for 16 ounces of Bud Light at a ball game.

Edited by yo mama

It's funny....no more comments by WV? He must have went to bed....

The nightmare will continue. I'm not a fan of McCain but I'm definitely not a fan of Obama/Clinton. I think if McCain is elected we're doomed...if Obama we're really doomed. I really hope I'm wrong but I'm preparing for tough times.

I laugh when I hear people say these things....

McCain = A president that has the same values as Bush, which = another long miserable 4 years

Clinton = Someone who has experience in the White House which = A possibility some good things can come from her being President...not to mention she is Billy's wife

Obama = Someone who has less experience, but is fresh, with fresh ideas, and A LOT of people in the party supporting him. When it comes to being a good President I think you need a good surrounding cast, and I have no doubt that he will have just that. Which also = better things to come.

With the amount of things Bush has f uk ed up in his terms, can it really get any worse? I know it can if McCain is elected.

I am voting for Obama because he represents what we need in the White House. A new outlook on the way our country is run. A lot will disagree and maybe even bash me, but the good thing about that, is there are more of you that agree now than ever....maybe not here in The Huddle, but across the country....

Side note: I have good friend that is in the service and calls Obama a terrorist. I asked if it was because of his name and she said that it was because his father, who left him, is a Muslim. :wacko:

This is the type of ignorance that makes me laugh.

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

If Obama really cared about his ideas, he'd be Hillary's VP cuz there is no way that anything new will be implemented in the next four years. There are too many problems to fix to even dream about hope.

So even though he has all this support for the presidency, he should bow down to Billary? Really? Why not Billary be HIS VP>

I laugh when I hear people say these things....

You're laughing? I laugh when people buy into commercials and slogans like "change." I'll put more stock into prior acts and voting experience than I will a 30 second commercial on how great things will be. Obama is reaching out to a certain crowd...I guess I'm not a part of it.

And don't get me wrong. Of the bunch I'm not convinced he's not the best. But if you have no concerns then I want to live on your planet.

You're laughing? I laugh when people buy into commercials and slogans like "change." I'll put more stock into prior acts and voting experience than I will a 30 second commercial on how great things will be. Obama is reaching out to a certain crowd...I guess I'm not a part of it.

And don't get me wrong. Of the bunch I'm not convinced he's not the best. But if you have no concerns then I want to live on your planet.

Or commercials like 3 am phone ringing? I hear ya DA, but what else do we have? I was always taught not to dwell in the past but to work towards the future. That being said, I have concerns about all of them, but the least with Obama. He has handled adversity well throughout. And as far as reaching out to a certain crowd? He is reaching out to voters, like me, who never really voted before this election because EVERYONE who was running was worthless IMO. I didn't vote in the Clinton era bc I was doing the binge drinking thing in college and didn't give a poop. But now you have people voting that never vote. The biggest turn out in my state in history.

No dis-respect DA, I hear what you are saying. But IMO, of the 3, I will take my chances with him.

please re-read what i wrote since it had zero to do with "bowing down".

Fair enough, but isn't that what he would have to do if he were Billary's VP? Maybe I am confused...

and the big question is can SHE beat McCain?

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

Obama's comments were taken out of context just as McCains regarding how long we would stay in Iraq were. Only differrece I see so far is the Dems made a commercial with McCains. Maybe the Repubs will make a commercial with Obama's if he can ever put Hillary down. This is one of the main reasons I'd rather look at voting records than anything else when electing people.

Obama's comments were taken out of context just as McCains regarding how long we would stay in Iraq were. Only differrece I see so far is the Dems made a commercial with McCains. Maybe the Repubs will make a commercial with Obama's if he can ever put Hillary down. This is one of the main reasons I'd rather look at voting records than anything else when electing people.

Naw, the Repugnicans are too busy using quotes from Michelle Obama to be bothered using anything the actual candidate said.

you know . . . :wacko:

Until I read that transcript, I really thought Obama was a phenomenal orator. Maybe, he just has exceptional speach writers.

Not at all watch his interviews. He is a very good speaker, but more importantly, he answers questions.

Edited by cre8tiff

:wacko:

Are you serious? :D

How much does a beer cost at your local ball park? Seems like its around $6 these days for me. Anyways, I'll bet you a donut it costs more than $4 (i.e., the price of a gallon of gas). Seems like a pretty incontrovertible point: product A costs more/less than product B. No real controversy there.