[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wanna lose weight and keep it off?

Puddy

Big Breakfast Key To Weight Loss, Doc Says

Researcher: Low-Carb Diets Don't Keep Pounds Off

POSTED: 10:29 am EDT June 18, 2008

Eating a big breakfast with lots of carbs and protein may help people lose weight and keep it off, researchers said.

The plan includes a low-carb, low-calorie diet for the rest of the day.

Dr. Daniela Jakubowicz of the Hospital de Clinicas in Venezuela said an overall low-carb diet may cause a quick weight loss, but pounds come back quickly, as well. Only 5 percent of carb-restrictive diets are successful after two years, she said.

Jakubowicz and a team at Virginia Commonwealth University put 94 obese, inactive women on low-fat, low-calorie diets, but they differed in how carbs were distributed.

For four months, researchers looked for weight loss. The strict low-carb diet caused an average weight loss of 28 pounds; the big-breakfast version cut 23 pounds.

However, after eight months, the strict dieters had regained 18 pounds. The big-breakfast eaters continued to drop weight, losing another 16.5 pounds.

All told, those on the new diet lost more than 21 percent of their body weight, compared with just 4.5 percent for the low-carb group.

Women who ate a big breakfast reported feeling less hungry, especially before lunch and had fewer cravings for carbs than the other women did.

Jakubowicz said the big-breakfast diet works because it controls appetite and cravings for sweets and starches. It also is healthier, she said, because it allows people to eat more fruit and therefore get enough fiber and vitamins.

The big-breakfast diet includes 1,240 calories a day.

I'm going to go celebrate this news with a four-egg omelet, 10 pieces of bacon, a plate of hash browns, and a stack of pancakes slathered in butter and syrup. Yum. :wacko:

I have no doubt that this really does work. I get up to early and rarely eat breakfast. However, on days that I don't work or just have time to eat a decent breakfast, I really feel much fuller come lunch time and even dinner time. It just seems that waiting for lunch makes me eat way to much then I am still pretty hungry come dinner time.

I think I need to start making time for breakfast or at the very least pre-make some breakfast meals.

I had been working out for about 6 months and my weight was holding steady. I wasn't overweight but was hoping to shed a few extra pounds.

I stared eating protein bars for breakfast (instead of skipping breakfast) and I dropped about 8 lbs in 3 months.

I highly recommend the protein bars for people who normall skip breakfast. Cheapest I've found is a 6-pack at WalMart for $6.