[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don Imus

FWmaker

:wacko:

IMUS IN 'PACMAN' CONTROVERSY

World-renowned radio broadcaster Don Imus has found himself in the midst of a race controversy yet again.

More than a year after being fired for making racially insensitive comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team, on Monday Imus caused an uproar for comments he made regarding Dallas Cowboys cornerback Adam Jones during his 'Imus in the Morning' radio show.

During a segment about why Jones dropped his well-known nickname 'Pacman', anchor Warner Wolf told Imus that Jones had "been arrested six times since being drafted by Tennessee in 2005".

Imus asked, "What color is he?" and Wolf responded by saying that "he's African-American."

"Well, there you go," Imus replied. "Now we know."

The segment did appear to have a common theme with earlier segments, as Imus asked about the race of Rocco Mediate while discussing Tiger Woods winning the US Open.

Imus returned to radio months after being fired by CBS under the sponsorship of Citadel Broadcasting Corp, with distribution by ABC Radio Networks.

"The comments will be addressed on-air on Imus tomorrow," said a station spokesman.

Imus stirred up national controversy after referring to the Rutgers women's basketball players as "nappy-headed ho's" following the 2007 NCAA Tournament championship game.

The incident received national media attention and Imus was eventually fired for the comments.

Imus later defended his comments in an e-mail to the New York Times.

"I meant he was being picked on because he's black," said Imus, adding that he would solicit the opinion of black comedian and activist Dick Gregory, who is scheduled to appear on his show on Tuesday.

"We'll see what he thinks," Imus wrote. "I mean...come on!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should see the line of news trucks outside on 7th Ave (by Madison Square Garden). His show broadcasts near here.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we can throw this in the "who gives a sh1t?" pile.

I have to disagree. Maybe that's because I am black. However I am not sure if I am offended this time. When I saw the video on CNN, I took it that he was taking a jab at racial profiling in the US. Some are saying that he may have meant that Pacman was arrested this many times because he is black, and not as a result of being black.

I just think the guy is smarter than that. Or at least I am hoping so. He did say Nappy Headed Hoes though. I dunno, but shyt like this lets us know EVERYDAY that the racism, and stereotypes against ALL people is still prominent tin this country, and threads like this help keep things in perspective.

Throwing it into the "who gives a shyt" pile is easy to do for someone who doesn't experience the kind of racism some experience on a regular basis. I won't say the obvious "You don't know what it's like, because you aren't black" statement, because I don't think that way. But a guy who obviously made a racist statement is in the news again for making another one. Like I said I didn't think it was a racist statement, but the fact that this guy is giving us a reason to talk about it , yet again let's us know the enormous amount of ignorance we are surrounded with in this country...

After watching this, not I DO know what it's like to be white....:wacko: (please excuse the short advertisement)

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

Well, at the risk of (sort of) agreeing with M8tank... Imus is either guilty of one type of racism or another. Either he implied that Pacman is black and is therefor the type of person who does the sorts of things that would get one arrested or he implied that Pacman has been arrested so many times because he's black and unfairly so. So, he's either racially profiling himself or playing the victim card on behalf of blacks, specifically implying that a known thug has gotten an unfair shake.

Either way, it's BS. Dude has been arrested because dude has acted like a thug and run with thugs. End of story.

Well, at the risk of (sort of) agreeing with M8tank... Imus is either guilty of one type of racism or another. Either he implied that Pacman is black and is therefor the type of person who does the sorts of things that would get one arrested or he implied that Pacman has been arrested so many times because he's black and unfairly so. So, he's either racially profiling himself or playing the victim card on behalf of blacks, specifically implying that a known thug has gotten an unfair shake.

Either way, it's BS. Dude has been arrested because dude has acted like a thug and run with thugs. End of story.

What he said...

Throwing it into the "who gives a shyt" pile is easy to do for someone who doesn't experience the kind of racism some experience on a regular basis.

Who says I'm white? :wacko:

And just to be clear, I am white, but you can see where I'm going with this...

Edited by budlitebrad

Who says I'm white? :wacko:

And just to be clear, I am white, but you can see where I'm going with this...

I do 100% But when in my statement did I make any reference to someone being white?

"easy to do for someone who doesn't experience the kind of racism some experience on a regular basis."

Never mentioned color

Edited by KSUChiefsTarheelFan

You know, the reason I posted the thread was because I really didn't consider this "story" very newsworthy and there seemed to be far too many news trucks parked outside waiting to get in on the story. At least KSUChiefsTarheelFan's post made me think twice about my "non-black" point of view.

Still, after taking this second look, based on the source, I would still think it's not much of a news story.