[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you know anyone unemployed

polksalet

or can't find a job? I keep hearing all of this bad economic stuff but it seems to be happening in other places..

I know a guy who has been out of work for 13 months and is moving to a different region...away from his family....to get employment. I just met with about 6 people over the last 10 working days to do 401K rollovers from employers that have let them go....should I go on?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this brings up an interesting hypothetical question. Would you, if laid off, immediately look at your own field for new employment or would you see it as a chance to do something different, even if you had to do some training / get some certs?

All this brings up an interesting hypothetical question. Would you, if laid off, immediately look at your own field for new employment or would you see it as a chance to do something different, even if you had to do some training / get some certs?

married and family....same field

single....broaden my horizons

I'd do something different.

If I were to somehow fire myself, then I would definitely look to a different field...I mean I would have to fire myself...that would be tough to swallow!

New field. Love what I do, I think, or maybe its like after being married for a while, you think you still love your wife but can't help but think that the 21 year old with the tight a ss and big ol ti tties would make you happier, but at the end of the day you still go home and.... Oh, never mind, now I'm just rambling.

New field.

What is your back ground and your flexibility on relocation (I'm guessing you live in Phili?)

Not that I can get you a job, but I can give you a group of companies that you should be talking to.

I don't have the money to relocate...but anything is possible...

I have completed the hours for appraisal before the december 31st deadline and other than that, I have no experience in that field what-so-ever...

hit me with a PM anyways...:wacko:

New field. Love what I do, I think, or maybe its like after being married for a while, you think you still love your wife but can't help but think that the 21 year old with the tight a ss and big ol ti tties would make you happier, but at the end of the day you still go home and.... Oh, never mind, now I'm just rambling.

New field.

:wacko:

With all due respect, why? Just curious. I was a real estate appraiser a long time ago and very glad I didn't stay. All the appraisers I know would like to be doing something different. It's usually a cutthroat industry and even moreso in slow times. There are few barriers to entry in that field and even becoming a MAI doesn't guarantee a very profitable existance.

I don't plan on staying long and just want enough to start my own business...

the housing market will go up...soon IMO..

I don't plan on staying long and just want enough to start my own business...

the housing market will go up...soon IMO..

Not a chance, we got 5 more years of recession in the housing market...minimum. Use Japan as a model....and they have much less space.

The distressing aspect of this kind of conversation is the consistent effort to ignore those who are under-employed.

I make about 75% of actual dollars of what I did in 2000. Inflation adjusted, well, I haven't done the math, but I don't want to be depressed. I'm just grateful that I'm under-employed instead of completely screwed.

75% might not be so bad. There are a ton of examples of managerial types now e.g. driving a bus and earning less than half what they earned before. Quite a lot of them seem to be pretty happy about it - little or no stress any more and once you go beyond 40 hours, you actually get paid for it.

As it approached 2 months I just started to look for a JOB.

The distressing aspect of this kind of conversation is the consistent effort to ignore those who are under-employed.

I make about 75% of actual dollars of what I did in 2000. Inflation adjusted, well, I haven't done the math, but I don't want to be depressed. I'm just grateful that I'm under-employed instead of completely screwed.

I know exactly what you mean.

75% might not be so bad. There are a ton of examples of managerial types now e.g. driving a bus and earning less than half what they earned before. Quite a lot of them seem to be pretty happy about it - little or no stress any more and once you go beyond 40 hours, you actually get paid for it.

when we had to close our business earlier this year due to economic conditions I was job hunting for over 2 months and finally took a job that pays about a 1/3 of what I made working in retail prior to opening my own business :wacko:

Edited by keggerz

We just had a relatively large home builder here in ATL lay off all of its sales staff. And from what I read last night, Starbucks is closing 600 stores... I'm glad to see people have finally come to their senses regarding $5 cups of coffee.

Just saw on the news they have 16,000 stores worldwide and opened 7 new stores per day last year.

Couldn't agree more. That stupid coffee still costs more than a gallon of gasoline. About time people started realizing what a ridiculous waste Starbucks is.

Do you people ever go to starbucks?

A medium coffee is $1.85 here. A large is $1.95. It's less than most other places.

Not everything in starbucks is a venti-fat-free-soy-mocha-no-whip latte.

Agreed, but for regular coffee, I'd rather have McDonald's or Dunkin Donuts.

Dunkin Donuts coffee blows IMO. McD's is good, but it's about the same price point.

I drink my coffee black, and I think DD coffee is geared towards people that drink their coffee with cream and sugar.

That's an incredibly ignorant and elitist statement.

I grant you that many unemployed don't do enough to find work, but to make such a blanket statement?

There are jobs everywhere. Only an ignorant lazy fool can't get one because he most likely considers it beneath him. I say let them die in the streets then.

So you've never been told, "Sorry, but you're over-qualified and we know that as soon as a better offer comes along, you'll leave. As such, we can't offer you a job, sorry" ?

Only since I took off my protective helmet and started lying on my resume

If I find myself in that position again, I'll definitely lie. But how does one compensate (read: lie) for years of experience?

Put on one of those retard protective head gear helmets, you could snatch up a job at Burger King in a heartbeat. Then work your way up, before you know it you'll own 14 franchises and have 21 year old chicks calling you the whopper, or king cheesy, or whatever you want them to call you.