[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What do you do?

Hugh 0ne

I live in the suburbs of NYC, about 15 miles NW of Manhattan. My office is in the same area. I come into the office this morning at 8am to find a "kid" in a sleeping bag in the parking lot. Not sure how old, anywhere between 14 and 18 I guess. He's not doing anything. After he sees me he packs up his stuff and now is kind of hanging around in the parking lot. Our office is small, with not alot of traffic. I decided to go talk to him, ask him if he's OK. He said he's OK, and was waiting for someone. I gave him a water. He's still there. Do I just leave him alone? I don't really want to call the cops, he's not really doing anything, but I'm not 100% comfortable having some possible homeless guy living in my parking lot. Thoughts?

If he's under 18 and living in your parking lot, he certainly should not be allowed to vote.

On a more serious note, calling the police is not necessarily a bad idea as given his age, they may need to involve social services. Clearly, something very bad has gone on his life if he's homeless and that young. If you call, inform the police that he's not creating a nuisance or causing any problem, you are just very concerned about his well-being.

I live in the suburbs of NYC, about 15 miles NW of Manhattan. My office is in the same area. I come into the office this morning at 8am to find a "kid" in a sleeping bag in the parking lot. Not sure how old, anywhere between 14 and 18 I guess. He's not doing anything. After he sees me he packs up his stuff and now is kind of hanging around in the parking lot. Our office is small, with not alot of traffic. I decided to go talk to him, ask him if he's OK. He said he's OK, and was waiting for someone. I gave him a water. He's still there. Do I just leave him alone? I don't really want to call the cops, he's not really doing anything, but I'm not 100% comfortable having some possible homeless guy living in my parking lot. Thoughts?

First, make sure he doesn't have a voter registration card

If you feel he is under 18 I think you have to call the authorities. He's probably not a threat to you, but he could be in danger from someone else out there, especially if he is living on the street.

If he's under 18 and living in your parking lot, he certainly should not be allowed to vote.

On a more serious note, calling the police is not necessarily a bad idea as given his age, they may need to involve social services. Clearly, something very bad has gone on his life if he's homeless and that young. If you call, inform the police that he's not creating a nuisance or causing any problem, you are just very concerned about his well-being.

You read my mind...

I would probably leave him alone unless he is there later on in the day or tomorrow. I would then have the authorities check up on him.

I agree. If he is there all day and pops up again Saturday (not sure if your office is open) or Monday I would make a call so the authorities can check him out

Seriously.....and this can go back to the luck argument I was making....I don't know what you do...but you can do one of two things.

1.) call the police and whatever happens happens.

2.) you can take this kid to lunch.....if he is waiting for someone he won't go...if he goes...he has nothing waiting for him....therefore he is homeless or what not. Explain this too him at lunch in a public place. Talk to this kid and see if he will open up. If not, tell him to please use someone else's parking lot for a bed...if he does....you may have the opportunity to change a young man's life...and that will pay priceless dividends in your life. Just a suggestion.

I tell you what I'm not--I'm not a f'n sideshow carnival act! You'll not trot me out like some dancing monkey.

You will Dance, Monkey... You will

I think you should probably make a call to child services...if he is under 18 then someone with experience needs to be involved(if he is 18(adult) then well he is an adult)....i dont think waiting is a wise choice....how would you feel if you saw his face on the front page tomm as a victim of murder and you didnt call anyone.

I'd probably take him to lunch and see what's up. Calling the cops won't fix anything, other than making him move. Since you can accomplish that without the cops why call them, unless he's actually doing something wrong?

Social services is a great idea, but the kid has to want to cooperate for that to have any positive effect. I'll bet a ham sandwich he's been down that road already, or has at least thought about it a lot. If he's choosing not to avail himself of those social services, you can't really force him. But, on the off chance you have the opportunity to steer him in a more positive direction, he'll be more open to the idea if you're having that conversation over a cup of coffee and a decent meal, compared to the back seat of a squad car.

Most likely some kind of abuse and/or addiction is rooted in his life. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do for someone like that without becoming personally involved in their lives.

I'd probably take him to lunch and see what's up. Calling the cops won't fix anything, other than making him move. Since you can accomplish that without the cops why call them, unless he's actually doing something wrong?

Social services is a great idea, but the kid has to want to cooperate for that to have any positive effect. I'll bet a ham sandwich he's been down that road already, or has at least thought about it a lot. If he's choosing not to avail himself of those social services, you can't really force him. But, on the off chance you have the opportunity to steer him in a more positive direction, he'll be more open to the idea if you're having that conversation over a cup of coffee and a decent meal, compared to the back seat of a squad car.

Most likely some kind of abuse and/or addiction is rooted in his life. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do for someone like that without becoming personally involved in their lives.

This would be my suggestion as well.

so what happened?

He was hanging around outside the building for a while. Just sitting down, doing nothing. At about 11am a girl came to talk to him, have no idea how she got here or who she was. After about 10 minutes, he grabbed his belongings and left with her.

He was hanging around outside the building for a while. Just sitting down, doing nothing. At about 11am a girl came to talk to him, have no idea how she got here or who she was. After about 10 minutes, he grabbed his belongings and left with her.

talk about anti-climactic :wacko: