[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Instead of RBBC we now have

cmutts

Seattle head coach Mike Holmgren isn't naming a starting running back in Seattle. In fact, he's got co-starters with free-agent signee Julius Jones and long-standing backup Maurice Morris. "Both Julius and Mo will both play. I'm looking at it right now as if we have two starters at that position. And that's how I talk to the players about it and that's how I'm going to kind of approach it during the season," Holmgren said.

lol this is Holmgren speak for "I don't want to piss off Mo this early in the season".

Mo is a 3rd down back. Anything past that is beyond his talent. If Jones plays well, Morris will be an afterthought.

Then again, if Jones struggles, I'm sure you will see Morris, but I don't see Jones struggling mightily. This offense is built for his strenghts and it should be a pretty good fit.

Does anyone honestly beleive JJ will rebound to his tier 2 stud status?

:wacko:

you cannot use the word stud and Julius Jones in the same sentence.

Does anyone honestly beleive JJ will rebound to his tier 2 stud status?

IIRC, JJ was ranked as a Tier 2 RB one year because he had a few solid games to end the season before. All owners who then drafted him the following season as a Tier 2 RB were punished.

IIRC, JJ was ranked as a Tier 2 RB one year because he had a few solid games to end the season before. All owners who then drafted him the following season as a Tier 2 RB were punished.

Let me start by saying that I'm not suggesting JJ is a stud.

He was much better than a few solid games. He was shifty, elusive and showed explosiveness (through a hole and once he reached the second level). I'm not sure exactly what happened the last two years but there is no doubt that what separated JJ and MBIII was their respective running styles. I don't know if the line just performed poorly or if it was scheme but neither back gained many yards simply running through holes, at least not the initial hole. MBIII is without question more versatile than JJ in terms of his ability(or willingness) to create running room but given an effective man blocking scheme JJ will be at the very least a respectable FF RB.

All that said, Morris is a very real threat to take a large number of carries and possibly be "the guy".

:D

I remember that year, that was the year I picked 12th in my work league and proudly announced that I was picking the Jones boys (Kevin and Julius) with my first 2 picks.

Got my :wacko: handed to me on a weekly basis that year....

Let me start by saying that I'm not suggesting JJ is a stud.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

JJ performed poorly behind one of the best O-lines in the NFL. Why would he perform at even a mediocre level behind SEA's O-line?

Hell, I think Duckett will probably outperform Jones up there. At least with his size he can push a pile.

Mo Morris is no Marion Barber and will not be able to steal a large number of carries from Julius. For most teams, I would not predict great success for Julius, but I think he fits in absolutely perfectly with the Seahawks quick-hitting running scheme. Julius hits the hole quickly, which is EXACTLY the type of player that should have success in this offense.

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

JJ performed poorly behind one of the best O-lines in the NFL. Why would he perform at even a mediocre level behind SEA's O-line?

Hell, I think Duckett will probably outperform Jones up there. At least with his size he can push a pile.

thanks for the laughs!!! priceless. I am starting to realize that you are one of those people that doesn't actually watch and comprehend football, but rather looks at stats and tries to sound smart.

Edited by Seahawks21

thanks for the laughs!!! priceless. I am starting to realize that you are one of those people that doesn't actually watch and comprehend football, but rather looks at stats and tries to sound smart.

What makes you think I don't understand football?

That Jones averaged 3.6 ypc last year, which was 40th in the NFL for RBs with 100 rushes or more?

That despite Jones' incredibly poor effort, DAL finished as 10th in the league in ypc?

That SEA's O-line was responsible for 3.8 ypc (tied for 22nd in the league), and there isn't a credible source that considers SEA's O-line as better than 19th in the league (most - including Tuvey - have them well into the mid-20s) in 2008 O-line rankings?

Why don't you educate me, Junior?

Edited by Bronco Billy

I think Seattle's "poor" run production was as much a product of Alexander running soft than anything. Hell, he averaged a full yard less per carry than Morris. Hell, Alexander had such a profoundly positive effect on the Seahawk's running game last year he isn't even on an NFL roster right now.

That SEA's O-line was responsible for 3.8 ypc (tied for 22nd in the league), and there isn't a credible source that considers SEA's O-line as better than 19th in the league (most - including Tuvey - have them well into the mid-20s) in O-line rankings?

While I don't dispute the rankings, nor the idea that Seattle's O-LIne isn't necessarily anything spectacular, you still ought to acknowledge that they made changes where change was needed.

#1, They got rid of the primary runner. And as poor as Jones was with the Cowboys, he is *still* an upgrade over Alexander.

#2, They replaced Chris Gray with a veteran to Holmgren's scheme in Matt Wahle. Wahle can switch to LG to complement Walter Jones and allow 3rd year guard Rob Sims to move to his 'natural' position of RG.

In addition, Chris Spencer has a full year of starting under his belt.

Now, whether the continuity and theoretical improvement of personnel equates to an upgrade in the running game, I'll believe it fully when I see it, but I understand where the FO is coming from with the additions/subtractions they have made.

And as far as how this relates to Julius Jones, I will say that he's got an opportunity in Seattle that wasn't there for him in Dallas. I also think there is A LOT of depth at running back in Seattle (in terms of bodies, not talent), and who gets the rock in week 1 may not be who's getting the rock in week 9, and that may not be who's getting the rock in week 17.

And as far as how this relates to Julius Jones, I will say that he's got an opportunity in Seattle that wasn't there for him in Dallas.

Jones got 2+ years in DAL to prove himself while Barber was sitting on the bench despite being the far superior RB. DAL bent over backwards to give Jones the #1 RB spot, and Jones couldn't get it done - again, despite playing behind that O-line and with the support of that passing game.

While I don't dispute the rankings, nor the idea that Seattle's O-LIne isn't necessarily anything spectacular, you still ought to acknowledge that they made changes where change was needed.

#1, They got rid of the primary runner. And as poor as Jones was with the Cowboys, he is *still* an upgrade over Alexander.

#2, They replaced Chris Gray with a veteran to Holmgren's scheme in Matt Wahle. Wahle can switch to LG to complement Walter Jones and allow 3rd year guard Rob Sims to move to his 'natural' position of RG.

In addition, Chris Spencer has a full year of starting under his belt.

Now, whether the continuity and theoretical improvement of personnel equates to an upgrade in the running game, I'll believe it fully when I see it, but I understand where the FO is coming from with the additions/subtractions they have made.

And as far as how this relates to Julius Jones, I will say that he's got an opportunity in Seattle that wasn't there for him in Dallas. I also think there is A LOT of depth at running back in Seattle (in terms of bodies, not talent), and who gets the rock in week 1 may not be who's getting the rock in week 9, and that may not be who's getting the rock in week 17.

BTW - good response. While I disagree with some of it, at least there's some reason behind it.

What opportunity is that? Another RBBC? :wacko:

Holmgren is likely trying to appease Momo for being a good soldier for the last 4-5 seasons. Julius Jones is going to get every opportunity to start the season as the primary ball carrier without having anyone behind him nearly as established as MB3.

What makes you think I don't understand football?

That Jones averaged 3.6 ypc last year, which was 40th in the NFL for RBs with 100 rushes or more?

That despite Jones' incredibly poor effort, DAL finished as 10th in the league in ypc?

That SEA's O-line was responsible for 3.8 ypc (tied for 22nd in the league), and there isn't a credible source that considers SEA's O-line as better than 19th in the league (most - including Tuvey - have them well into the mid-20s) in 2008 O-line rankings?

Why don't you educate me, Junior?

Some people can't be taught. If you were to ever watch some football, you would have seen both Julius Jones and TJ Duckett play by now. It is absolutely impossible to watch the two of them play and come to the conclusion that Duckett is the better football player.

Duckett is slower to the hole than Alexander was.

Again, who cares about your freakin' numbers. Watch football. It isn't that difficult, papi.