[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sound Off: Clinton Portis

j2v

Consider this Son of Fantasy University. Each day we’ll make a post regarding a fantasy-relevant player or situation; then, we’ll turn the mic over to you and hear what you have to say.

Today’s candidate: Redskins RB Clinton Portis

Some feel that this year’s fantasy draft stinkhole comes after the top five backs go off the board; others seem more willing to extend the top tier of the draft to include Portis.

On the plus side, Clinton’s offensive line can’t get any more banged up than it was last season—one in which he still produced 1,651 yards from scrimmage and 11 touchdowns. Jim Zorn’s new West Coast offense could also help him lift his value in PPR leagues, though his 47 catches last season are certainly nothing to sneeze at. Portis has played in all 16 games two of the past three seasons, suggesting he may have been mislabeled as an injury risk, and any time he’s received more than 160 carries in a season he’s cracked the 1,000 yard mark.

However, the Redskins’ passing game is anything but proven and defenses will have the luxury of focusing on Portis. Backup Ladell Betts proved capable during Portis’ injury-marred 2006 season and remains a threat to steal touches, and Clinton’s track record suggests an every-other year pattern that is due for a downward spike in 2008.

Where do you weigh in on Portis? Comfortable with him as your RB1? Or would you rather reach for Tom Brady or Randy Moss in Round One instead of adding Clinton and his posse of personalities to your fantasy roster?

No he may not have the same work load as last season. But he may not be asked to pound it up the middle as much and he may have more production in plays designed to get him out in space a little bit more. He may also catch more balls than last year as indicated to also offset the lower number of carries.

I like him better than Gore. I see a drop off after five RBs but then another drop off after Gore and Portis as well. He's a better back than Addai but doesn't have the luxury of playing for the Colts. I got Portis with the 1.08 pick in two drafts this week. So obviously he won't be in for a monster season now.

Edited by MikesVikes

I'm starting to come around with Portis. When I first started doing my research this summer, I balked at the notion of using a 1st round pick on him. Now I'm warming to the idea realizing that he'd either be a RB1a to another RB of Gore/Lynch status or he'll be a RB1 if I were to use my first pick on, say Randy Moss.

I certainly feel he's outside the top 5 and even put Gore ahead of him. However, after Moss, then I'd be hard pressed to pick anyone else.

He's a definite RB1 this year, but the question is, where will he be drafted? I've seen him all over the first 2 rounds. The guy is young (I think only 25 years old) and can produce when he can stay on the field. I personally think that this is a breakout year for him.

He's a definite RB1 this year, but the question is, where will he be drafted? I've seen him all over the first 2 rounds. The guy is young (I think only 25 years old) and can produce when he can stay on the field. I personally think that this is a breakout year for him.

27, i believe. i think he has everything laid out for him to shine. no question he has the talent and no question he is positioned for big numbers. the primary thing that would scare off owners has to be his injury history but at some point, we need to throw that out the window. LT had the injury bug bite him last season. as did ADP. as did sjax. as has gore. with this risk surrounding every pick, you have to block that out somewhat if all reports say the person is healthy, which is the case with portis. no question he has demonstrated the ability and thus far i haven't heard any other data that would stop me from going with him as my RB1. i'd put him right there with addai in the 4 or 5 spot and would not reach for moss at that point.

Portis seems to be a divisive figure in FF. Some people think he suffers from undeclared leprosy, some think he's just not that good, or both.

-He's no more of an injury risk than any of the starting RBs in the league... save for the likes of LT. Aside from breaking his hand, he doesn't have a long history of leg/groin issues like Addai/SJax/Westy/AD/Gore/LJ etc. I won't argue some of those guys aren't more productive than Portis but don't discount his relative durability.

-He's productive and reliable enough to be a RB1 in all leagues with greater than 8 teams so basically any league worth a damn. Beyond the top 4-5 going into this season, what else is there? The remaining 7-8 teams in a 12 team league need an RB1 too. As a Skin, all Portis has done is average about 100 total yds and score a TD in about 2 of 3 games played. Top 10 each full season as a Skin. He's not flashy but he's a workhorse.

-I can see the new offense allowing Portis to be as productive if not more so. Under Gibbs, he was the focus of a pretty bland smashmouth offense. He constantly faced 8 man fronts yet was still productive. If the multiple receiver sets work along with him being more involved in the passing game, it absolutely could mean more production from Portis.

I have pick 1.07 and I won't mind if other owners chasing Brady and/or Moss' record seasons let Portis fall to me.

Edited by kingfish247

Portis is 26 and turns 27 on September 1st.

Portis is one of those runners who doesn't attract much attention during the season and yet I am always surprised each spring to look back and see just how well he actually did. He flies under the radar for most considering his decent numbers.

Portis is one of those runners who doesn't attract much attention during the season and yet I am always surprised each spring to look back and see just how well he actually did. He flies under the radar for most considering his decent numbers.

But do you want to spend a mid-first round pick on him?

The numbers certainly say he's a bit underrated, but for some reason he doesn't scream "reliable". Like we're always waitng for an injury to happen or Betts to steal some of his carries. I guess ultimately you want to pick a guy in the first round who you know is going to produce for you and that is what Portis has proven to do most years. Issue is, I don't see a big upside to the guy, and I want a homerun hitter for my first pick. If I have to select between Moss and Portis this year, it'll be a hard fought decision.

Edited by TDFFFreak

People keep referencing his age and the real issue is all the mileage he has. He's going into his 7th season, so he's really more like 29 in RB years. I'm not big on him personally, but wouldn't be too upset if he fell to me at the end of round 1. I like Gore MBIII and Lynch more than him this year. I just feel like he's going to show more wear and tear in the next few years.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

People keep referencing his age and the real issue is all the mileage he has. He's going into his 7th season, so he's really more like 29 in RB years. I'm not big on him personally, but wouldn't be too upset if he fell to me at the end of round 1. I like Gore MBIII and Lynch more than him this year. I just feel like he's going to show more wear and tear in the next few years.

He's a starting RB in the NFL. More wear and tear in the next few years is hardly a revelation. That's one of those generalizations that will always be true unless the RB's first name happens to be LaDainian.

skins have a tough schedule also, west coast offense = less running. Remember Gibbs was old school, ground and pound. Portis won't see anywhere near the work load as he did last season.

Zorn has said he will lean on Portis and if he is smart he most certainly will.

27, i believe. i think he has everything laid out for him to shine. no question he has the talent and no question he is positioned for big numbers. the primary thing that would scare off owners has to be his injury history but at some point, we need to throw that out the window. LT had the injury bug bite him last season. as did ADP. as did sjax. as has gore. with this risk surrounding every pick, you have to block that out somewhat if all reports say the person is healthy, which is the case with portis. no question he has demonstrated the ability and thus far i haven't heard any other data that would stop me from going with him as my RB1. i'd put him right there with addai in the 4 or 5 spot and would not reach for moss at that point.

I have Portis at #5 (ADP, SJax, LT, Westy, Portis)

Portis will drop far in the 1st round on 12 team leagues +. For some reason (and i believe its the skins tag hanging over him) he is often dismissed. He is a solid back, like Rudi Johnson was before last year. He will not win you championships, but you wont lose any because of him either. He tends to be an even force on your team. You know you can plug him into your line up and get (7 year average) 1285 rushing yards [80.36 per game] , 9 rushing TDs, 214 receiving yards, and .5 receiving TDs. In this new Offense, his value should rise in PPR leagues. Watching him in OTAs and camp, plug local coverage, I'm thinking his status will shake out like:

323 rushes for 1390ish yards [4.3 per rush], 6 rushing TDs

45 receptions for 420ish yards [8.8 per reception] 3 receiving Tds

Cooley will see less action towards Goal line situations in place of Portis. But with the new Offense in place [and a completely different one than used in the past three years], the red zone offense of the skins will hurt. Most of their scoring will be from 20 yards out.

Still, for Portis a 1800ish total yardage 9 TD year is pretty decent.