[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Michael Clayton Go To Receiver

Randall

:wacko:

On if they’re seeing anything new from Michael Clayton)

“Well, we know he’s a very good player. What I’ve seen is five or six consecutive days where he’s put his fist down and said, ‘I’m a go-to receiver.’ If he continues to do that, he’s going to be a big part of this offense again. Hopefully he stays healthy and continues doing exactly what he’s doing. He’s focused, he’s all business and he’s running all kinds of routes. He’s running inside routes, outside routes, and he’s showing very good stamina. And we know he can run with the ball after the catch. So we like what he’s doing but we’ve got a long way to go.”

Michael - TB

Mark - BAL

Mike Clayton is in a contract year and he worked out all summer to get back down to his rookie year weight. With all that being said, I hope he has a great year but he cannot be anything more than a sleeper pick at this point.

I think George Clooney, as Michael Clayton, has about the same chance of making an impact... in reality or fantasy.

I drafted him as a rookie and was extremely happy with the results... The next year my league went to an auction/dynasty format... Let's just say he helped set me back a ways.

I had Clayton on a bunch of my teams when he was a rookie and 1193 yards and seven TDs for a guy you could get in the15th round was outstanding. But he's been a dog ever since. The wierd part is that when you have WRs who explode as a rookie and then flop the rest of their career, they are usually smaller fast guys catching long passes that first year (Like Chris Sanders/TEN for a classic case). But Clayton is 6'4" and should be the prototypical possession "over the middle" guy. He has been hampered by injuries for three years but dang - do they never ever stop? He has just been horrible for three years now. I would not touch him.

The wierd part is that when you have WRs who explode as a rookie and then flop the rest of their career, they are usually smaller fast guys catching long passes that first year (Like Chris Sanders/TEN for a classic case). But Clayton is 6'4" and should be the prototypical possession "over the middle" guy. He has been hampered by injuries for three years but dang - do they never ever stop?

He's really boggled my mind, too. It's a situation where you KNOW he has the talent to be a top-15 WR in the league (or better). To have that type of impact as a rookie in Gruden's offense is extremely impressive. AND he was always billed as a high-character, hard-working kid. It's really odd that he couldn't build on that initial success.

Hardly anyone will touch him this year, so I might grab him in the 15th round or so in some deeper leagues. :wacko:

2004 seems like ages ago so I decided to glance at Tampa's season that year... Galloway and Jurevicious were out most of that season so that may have had something do with it. Maybe it was one of those things like 'someone has to catch all the passes'. The No. 1 WR in a Gruden offense is really the only WR worth owning or using at any point in the season. They typically max out at around 1000-1200yds and 8 or so TDs. The rest of the receiving stats is split pretty evenly amongst the remaining WRs, TEs, and especially the RBs. The RB is pretty much the WR2.

Also, before Garcia's first season as a Buc... they went through some pretty miserable QB situations. In 2004, Griese actually had a pretty solid season. In 2005, Griese was injured early and gave way to Simms. Early in 2006, Simms ruptured his vagina--I mean spleen--and gave way to Gradkowski and Rattay.

Throw in all the nagging injuries from Clayton, Galloway's return as the No. 1, and it's really no wonder he hasn't done anything. Maybe it's just me but... Gruden seems like the kind of coach who once you're in his doghouse it's virtually impossible to get out.

Considering Galloway surely can't keep up his WR1 days forever (he turns 37 in November) it might actually be worth taking a flyer on Clayton in deep leagues. Although that's really not a statement on the ability or 'upside' of Clayton than it is on the age of Galloway.

As a diehard Buc fan Clayton is a bum. I hope he proves me wrong but until then I wouldn't touch him. If you are looking for a sleeper out of the idiot Gruden terrible offense you might wanna think Antonio Bryant. About the only player on this team I look at is Graham as a RB3, Carnell Williams very late, and the Defense which will be the best pick you can make off this team. Until Gruden is gone which I hope is very soon this team is a fantasy sandtrap.

As a diehard Buc fan Clayton is a bum. I hope he proves me wrong but until then I wouldn't touch him. If you are looking for a sleeper out of the idiot Gruden terrible offense you might wanna think Antonio Bryant. About the only player on this team I look at is Graham as a RB3, Carnell Williams very late, and the Defense which will be the best pick you can make off this team. Until Gruden is gone which I hope is very soon this team is a fantasy sandtrap.

If a gun were put to my head and/or 99.9% of ALL other WRs on NFL rosters are gone, I think I'll take my chances with Clayton...

Arrest and suspension

Following a victory over the Seattle Seahawks on November 19, 2006, Bryant was arrested after his Lamborghini was seen speeding faster than 100 mph on Highway 101. He was charged with suspicion of misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, driving under the influence, and resisting arrest. As a result, Bryant was suspended for four games by the NFL. He sat out the final two games of the 2006 season, and was scheduled to sit out the first two games of the 2007 season.

Reinstatement

On September 17, 2007 he was reinstated by the league, but was not been able to sign with a team, partly because of a failed drug test over the summer. In October 2007 Bryant filed a lawsuit against the NFL to try to get them to stop drug testing him since he is not currently a player, and to drop the failed drug test. [1]In December 2007, the case was resolved without the details being released.[2]

Like I said I don't look at either one but if you read the early reports out of camp and look at what Gruden did for Hillard's career. One would think that Bryant if he can keep his head on could be a very good reciever in the slot. It is a very very big IF though.