[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anti-depressants

Ramhock

I am starting to take Lexapro, tomorrow. I miss myself and look for my return. Please, share your experiences and thank you in advance.

My symptoms are waking about 5 AM, with an immediate sense of dread. I force myself to eat, hardly tasting the food. My doc says I have situational depression. I absolutely do not have any suicidal thoughts. My family and friends want to know where the happy-go-lucky guy went. I am on a mission.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am starting to take Lexapro, tomorrow. I miss myself and look for my return. Please, share your experiences and thank you in advance.

My symptoms are waking about 5 AM, with an immediate sense of dread. I force myself to eat, hardly tasting the food. My doc says I have situational depression. I absolutely do not have any suicidal thoughts. My family and friends want to know where the happy-go-lucky guy went. I am on a mission.

Pills are not the answer.

That's like one of the guys I went to grad school with. Every morning when he woke up he'd sit bolt upright and start yelling "and then when I wore my first dress!" over and over for a minute or two. I could never tell if it was because he hated finding out he had to start another day or if it was because he was tooling for anus the night before.

Hope it all works out for you. I'd also consider getting in shape and eating right if you're not already doing that. Maybe make some lifestyle changes. I don't think taking anti-depressants is going to be the long term solution for you. Regardless, hope all goes well. :wacko:

Hope it all works out for you. I'd also consider getting in shape and eating right if you're not already doing that. Maybe make some lifestyle changes. I don't think taking anti-depressants is going to be the long term solution for you. Regardless, hope all goes well. :wacko:

+1... I wouldnt rely on pill longterm

GL

While this may be true, one of the symptoms/causes of depression is a lack of motivation (in general) not to mention the lack of desire to do the things you once loved doing (e.g., working out, sports, etc.).

So sometimes it's not just as easy as making lifestyle changes, especially when your condition is making it next to impossible to do these things.

good luck- I think they can help - like H1 mentioned- exercise and lifestyle is important.

Some of my buddies are in spam, medicine- try em for a while, monitor how you feel, etc - but also pay attention to what may be causing it.

one of my doc buddies told me that they can be a nice kick-start into getting your head chemically right and then you can graduallly wean off of them if it is more of a minor/situational thing. IMO- they have their place, but I think way too many peeps take em as a crutch and don't deal with chit.

good luck- I think they can help - like H1 mentioned- exercise and lifestyle is important.

Some of my buddies are in spam, medicine- try em for a while, monitor how you feel, etc - but also pay attention to what may be causing it.

one of my doc buddies told me that they can be a nice kick-start into getting your head chemically right and then you can graduallly wean off of them if it is more of a minor/situational thing. IMO- they have their place, but I think way too many peeps take em as a crutch and don't deal with chit.

That's the key. I took a very mild one (doxepin) for awhile to help me fall asleep at night. It helped me fall asleep but also made me gain weight. Whatever you do, make sure exercise and eating right is part of the equation. Working with a doc or shrink isn't a bad thing either. I haven't been on it for awhile, but it did help.

Working with students and their parents, I have seen breathtaking results from students or parents start medication. I've also seen it not work. Pills on their own won't do it. You've got to put effort into it.

Took Zoloft for about a week several years ago. Whether it was the medication or some subconscious reaction to them I don't know, but for that week I had a very anxious, adrenaline-fueled feeling. Hated it. Stopped taking them right away and never went back to the doc to try anything else.

I believe everyone gets depressed at times. I also believe that some depression requires medication to alleviate its symptoms. Good luck, Rick. You've got my number if you need it. :wacko:

Link?

http://www.pharmalot.com/2007/07/paxil-set...ube-watch-here/

In a letter to doctors last year, GlaxoSmithKline and the Food and Drug Administration warned that clinical trial data on nearly 15,000 patients revealed a higher frequency of suicidal behavior in young adults treated with Paxil

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275297,00.html

http://www.pharmalot.com/2007/07/paxil-set...ube-watch-here/

In a letter to doctors last year, GlaxoSmithKline and the Food and Drug Administration warned that clinical trial data on nearly 15,000 patients revealed a higher frequency of suicidal behavior in young adults treated with Paxil

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,275297,00.html

I don't see anything about "rages" in your links.

:wacko:

You might want to dig a little deeper before you pretend to be an expert on something like medications.

Edited by Egret

I was put on something, (can't recall the name), to help me sleep. I have major trouble with sleep as I always seem to let all sorts of thoughts run though my head as soon as my head hits the pillow. Whatever it was knocked me out to where I could not get up in the morning so after about a week of that I went back to not sleeping right. :wacko:

Good luck, Ram. Give it an honest try and let us know if they work for you.

More recent and more accurate.

SIDE EFFECTS: Nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, dizziness, diarrhea, trouble sleeping, yawning, constipation, or dry mouth may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor promptly. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these serious side effects occur: loss of appetite, unusual or severe mental/mood changes, increased sweating/flushing, unusual fatigue, uncontrolled movements (tremor), decreased interest in sex, changes in sexual ability. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: black stools, blurred vision, change in amount of urine, "coffee ground" vomit, easy bruising/bleeding. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these highly unlikely but very serious side effects occur: fainting, irregular heartbeat, muscle pain, trouble swallowing, unusual swelling, seizures, tingling or numbness of the hands/feet. Paroxetine may infrequently cause suicidal thoughts or self-harm urges in children or teenagers up to 18 years of age. Tell the doctor immediately should this occur (see Uses section). Males: In the very unlikely event you have a painful, prolonged erection, stop using this drug and seek immediate medical attention or permanent problems could occur. A serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include: rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, trouble breathing. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

http://www.medicinenet.com/paroxetine-oral/article.htm

Persistent adverse effects

Recent case reports describe four young men and women who experienced serious sexual dysfunction that continued to be symptomatic despite medication discontinuation years previously[21][22].

Long term withdrawal syndromes outside of sexual dysfunction from SSRIs are not well documented, but reports are starting to be published. Symptoms can persist for months and include agitation, anxiety, akathisia, panic attacks, irritability, aggressiveness, worsening of mood, dysphoria, crying spells or mood lability, overactivity or hyperactivity, depersonalization, decreased concentration, slowed thinking, confusion and memory/concentration difficulties. [23] For some patients in this condition, restarting the drug can cause intolerable side effects, meaning these symptoms have to be endured until they eventually subside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_disconti...rome#Indicators

Edited by WaterMan

I hope it all works out for ya bro. Whatever the result, keep us informed.

I had a similar experience a few years back but it was high anxiety. Couldn't even walk out of the house to check my mail. At work I would have to go home cause I would break out in hives at the thought of confronting my co-workers for a simple work related matter. It sucked...sucked bad and I wish you god speed in getting back on track.

Please tell me you know what Dysphoria is:

Manic symptoms of Dysphoria include: irritability, anger or rage, delusions, hypersensitivity, hypersexuality, hyper-religiosity, hyperactivity, impulsiveness, racing thoughts, talkativeness, pressure to keep talking or rapid speech, and grandiose ideas and plans, decreased need for sleep (e.g. feels rested after 3 or 4 hours of sleep).

Hypomania: lower need for sleep

racing thoughts

obsessive behavior, whether mild or severe

poor judgment relative to a particular situation's judgment call

uncontrollable, or only partially controllable, impulsivity

excessive sexual activity

I'm seeing anger and rage all over the place in the symptoms caused by Paxil. They are just using big words to confuse you.

Edited by WaterMan

Have you tried psychotherapy? Do you have a psychiatrist?

GPs are often a little quick with the meds.

I have been this way for a couple of months. There is nothing anyone is going to say that I already haven't said to myself. I don't internalize and have had many discussions with many people. I seem to worry about the future more than I should be content in the now. My friend is sending me a tape called, I think, "The Power of Now", a 7 hour listen . . . and I will listen.

I'm confused. So, this guy's depressed and the solution is to make him feel bad about taking pills?

Sure, it's the huddle, we adhere to the "kick 'em while they're down theory". :oldrolleyes:

Do you have reading comprehension issues?