[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anti-depressants

Ramhock

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed this thread the first time around but I am glad to hear that things are looking up for you Ramhock.

+1

I was put on something, (can't recall the name), to help me sleep. I have major trouble with sleep as I always seem to let all sorts of thoughts run though my head as soon as my head hits the pillow. Whatever it was knocked me out to where I could not get up in the morning so after about a week of that I went back to not sleeping right. :wacko:

just wanted to add that i have the exact same problem. at 1 pm, i can fall asleep in 5 minutes. at 1 am, it takes me 30-60 minutes, mainly because i can't turn off the thoughts in my head. i have ambien CR in our medicine cabinet but have never taken one, mainly because i'm afraid i'd be too groggy in the morning.

Situation has changed for the better. To try & keep it short, I was a 100% commission mortgage broker. Between the worsening situation in that industry and my refusal to be vague with customers, not getting a check now & then was obviously weighing quite heavily on me. I have returned to the financial institution that I left to try that 14 months ago. They welcomed me back with open arms & I started back this past Monday. My wife hadn't brought any income in for 20 years and will start cleaning homes, this week. Her sister does it and makes about $20/hr, off the books. In a few months she should be working between 10-15 hrs/wk. I am no longer feeling alone having to provide for 5 mouths. Will we make enough to break even? Maybe.

Been 2 weeks since I started on 10 mg Lexapro. The past 4 days have been my best in about 4 months. I am guessing that it has more to do with the situation than it does with the pill. I have a followup appointment in three weeks and will follow my doctor's instruction after I give him a detailed update. I actually have my sense of humor back and the dread has not visited since Monday. It has been 4 very good entire days. For 3-4 months I wasn't capable of having a very good hour.

For those of you that give a $hit, thanx. For those that don't, good luck if you ever experience what I felt.

There are certainly always others that are worse off or in tougher spots than yourself but these feelings are subconscious and you have absolutely no control over them.

It is certainly good to be back. I felt so bad that I dropped outta FLS & my 23 year home league, which I commissioned. They will take me back next year, but try to imagine how bad you would have to feel to think it would be a "pain" to participate in this hobby we all have in common.

Lexipro can sometimes take 4-6 weeks to take full effect. It is a very good sign that you are feeling better after 2 weeks. I would recommend while staying on course with the drugs, sitting down with a therapist in conjuction with meds. It sounds like this may be a situational depression, but without knowing the full story and for the love of yourself and family, I'd talk it out with a professional to see how you are feeling over the next several months.

Have you tried psychotherapy? Do you have a psychiatrist?

GPs are often a little quick with the meds.

+1

Everyone goes through mood swings, some more serious than others. Definitely see a doctor, think about taking some meds, but don't rely on the drugs to save you. Make other changes to improve whatever situation is making you unhappy, if at all possible, and improve your health as other people have suggested by increasing exercise and improving eating habits. I guess that sounds trite and everyone's different but that sometimes helps me get out of my down periods. Good luck man. I hope some of the advice in this thread helps a little. I've never experienced serious depression though so maybe none of this will help. :wacko:

good advice here

Situation has changed for the better. To try & keep it short, I was a 100% commission mortgage broker. Between the worsening situation in that industry and my refusal to be vague with customers, not getting a check now & then was obviously weighing quite heavily on me. I have returned to the financial institution that I left to try that 14 months ago. They welcomed me back with open arms & I started back this past Monday. My wife hadn't brought any income in for 20 years and will start cleaning homes, this week. Her sister does it and makes about $20/hr, off the books. In a few months she should be working between 10-15 hrs/wk. I am no longer feeling alone having to provide for 5 mouths. Will we make enough to break even? Maybe.

Been 2 weeks since I started on 10 mg Lexapro. The past 4 days have been my best in about 4 months. I am guessing that it has more to do with the situation than it does with the pill. I have a followup appointment in three weeks and will follow my doctor's instruction after I give him a detailed update. I actually have my sense of humor back and the dread has not visited since Monday. It has been 4 very good entire days. For 3-4 months I wasn't capable of having a very good hour.

For those of you that give a $hit, thanx. For those that don't, good luck if you ever experience what I felt.

There are certainly always others that are worse off or in tougher spots than yourself but these feelings are subconscious and you have absolutely no control over them.

It is certainly good to be back. I felt so bad that I dropped outta FLS & my 23 year home league, which I commissioned. They will take me back next year, but try to imagine how bad you would have to feel to think it would be a "pain" to participate in this hobby we all have in common.

Glad to hear things are going well. From personal experience, my best friend got addicted to cocaine in the early 80’s. I lost touch with him for about 5 years, and as of now I believe he’s been clean for over 20 years. He told me that if he could catch the high that he got when he first tried crack, he’d still be doing it today. He said it felt like he’d just won the Superbowl, the lottery, and married Ms. America… for about 20 minutes. The more crack he smoked, the harder it was to reach the level obtained before. In time, he said the endorphins naturally produced by the brain stopped functioning, and he’d have to smoke crack just to feel normal. It’s a spiral downwards, and I guess the point of the story is to point out the lack of endorphins produced in the brain. I guess that's why pills scare me.

When my daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia and started chemo, things went way South for me. I’m still not fully recovered (though she is clean now with a bone marrow transplant), but things are starting to mellow out. Like most of us, pending layoffs and doomsday crud just happens, and getting older just puts you in pits sometimes. You have to reach highs to know when you reach lows… if that makes any sense.

Do what you have to, but just keep it all in perspective. Whatever works is a good thing. Good luck.

OK, so I started a reply to this thread and lost it. Let's try again.

In my experience both personal and professional, antidepressants can be an important tool in your tool box. I'm glad you're getting relief. It probably shouldn't be the ONLY tool in your toolbox, but for many people it's the jumpstart they need. Pay attention to the signals you're giving yourself. I think we tend to ignore those slippery slope feelings that drag us down in the name of soldiering on in life. You're making some of the changes that will help you long term, so this is a great thing. Keep with the meds for a while though. As TDFF said, they can really take 4-6 weeks for full effect and you'll likely want to stick with them for 6 months or so.

I think comments about the appropriateness of medication usage and all that other stuff is better put into another thread. :wacko:

Whatever the f*ck you got Ricky, I hope you get through it. Maybe you spend some time with me in my world and you wont have to be sad about nothin, ever again......

what's your story?

Even if he told you it, you wouldn't be able to understand it.