[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

9 Year old kid told he cant play baseball

whomper

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a hard time with this whole issue. Yeah, 9 is pretty young to be facing this but in the community I live by 10 you better be ready to face the top pitchers, because nobody is going to let you of the hook. It is a strong baseball area and if you aren't ready you will be left behind or get ready. Tough lesson for that age but it is the way of Eaton.

On a side note it is not scaring kids away from playing, they have 6 to 8 teams that age every year and 2 travelling teams that competes in the area. The community is about 4500 people.

How much you want to bet all the kids on the forfeiting team still got a trophy?

And probably Chuck E. Cheese afterwards to celebrate. When I was a kid, you went to bed without food for losing the game. Gawd-danged kids today.

If you won back in the day, you got McDonald's. If you lost, your Mom would fix you a big old fat hamburger on Wonder bread. You'd look at it and tell your Mom that this don't look like McDonald's and the Wonder bread would turn all pink and doughy. It toughened us up for when your Dad would get home from work and beat you for going 0 for 4 and making 2 errors in the loss.

And probably Chuck E. Cheese afterwards to celebrate. When I was a kid, you went to bed without food for losing the game. Gawd-danged kids today.

If you won back in the day, you got McDonald's. If you lost, your Mom would fix you a big old fat hamburger on Wonder bread. You'd look at it and tell your Mom that this don't look like McDonald's and the Wonder bread would turn all pink and doughy. It toughened us up for when your Dad would get home from work and beat you for going 0 for 4 and making 2 errors in the loss.

:wacko:

My brother and I were talking about this earlier in the week before we saw this story because his 2 boys started double sessions football last week. My high school team was a pretty good team. By todays standards they would have been shut down as far as what they did to us. Some of the things were ridiculously stupid on their part. The # 1 example of that is when we were having a bad practice they wouldnt give us water :wacko: and when they did I swear to God it was a pipe that was just coming out of a rock in the high school and before it got to the ladle with holes in it that the coaches would hold it ran over moss that was on the rocks. When we used to drink it we used to try and put our helmets under the spout to catch water off of the rock and plug the helmet hole with our finger. If you were lucky you caught enough to get a salty helmet water bonus. In recent years so many kids unfortunatly went down and god forbid passed away from not being properly hydrated which showed how bad it was for our coaches to do that. As far as pussification goes the example I gave above is something that should never happen but playing against a dominant kid could make you better and should always be allowed.

Edited by whomper

Well said Dmarc, at the beginng of the season I meet with all of the parents of the team I coach. We carry over the 9 years olds and add a new set of 9 year olds from a draft (yes we actually draft our teams as it make the league more balanced.) so I really only have 5 or 6 new sets of parents each year. I inform them that we (the coaches) are their to teach their kids the game and that the most important thing we can teach them is to have fun!! I point out that there are no scouts, no endorsement contracts, no ESPN coverage. If they want to talk to a coach about their child do it before or after a practice or game. I tell them their kid will learn to play several different position and that if they want their kid to play a certain position I'll tell them what I feel the kid need to work on to play it (mostly happens with want to be pitchers) I use the regular season to teach and improve the kids and I let the parents know it, the reg season is not about winning and losing. I give out a game ball after every game, adn each kid ends up getting one as I can always find a positive they did during a game be it a key hit, catch, or throw. The kids beam when they get their game ball. Also after every game they have to tell the team one thing they learned during that game. I have found that wehn they have to verbalize it they tend to retain it.

We play to win during playoffs and the kids know they are probably going to play the position they are best at during the playoffs. This year we were 3-6-3 during the regular season and then went 4-0 in the playoffs including a 14-0 championship game.

My point is that at 9-10 it is about teaching the kids more than just the game, it's about teamwork, sportsmanship, striving to be better, learning to love the game, and to have fun.

Tim C equals Eddie Murphy???? :wacko:

:wacko:

"You ain't got no ice creeam! Cause you are on the welfare! And your father is an alcoholic!"

:D McDonalds burgers dont have no peppers on it

It seems like with 9 year olds, the goal should be to have fun, not to pummell the other kids into submission by doing something the league specifically asked you not to do.

Is this really pussification? Or is this another example of ultra-competitive parents pushing their very young children to win at all costs? The kids are only 9. What lesson was taught by putting the kid on the mound after being asked not to?

Amazing how the libtard mind works, truly amazing!

How do you function in society? I say we get a federal grant to find out.

Sounds to me like an exemption should be made to let the kid move up IMO.

+1

At this age, its all about building confidence and having fun. How confident is a new baseball player gonna feel, stepping up to the plate for one of his first times, and getting a 40 MPH heater thrown his way?

I was always taught that playing with kids better than you made you better. if so, the 9-year-old should have been moved up. If the argument of the parent is that the kid should be able to pitch, I'd ask why? The answer obviously should be so he can improve. I'd then ask how they expect him to improve by playing against kids that are not in his skill-set.

How times have changed. Parents are so over-protecting now and they're raising pansies. So a kid is better than everyone else so let's get rid of him. Sure, moving the kid up may make him better because of the competition...but what does it do to the kids left behind? How do they get better if they're all playing against suck-asses?

No cite for Eddie Murphy....how Joe Biden of you.... :wacko:

Do you have a 9 year old? You can't even start Tee ball until you're 8 years old in my county. This is not supposed to be super-competitive. I remember playing on a "minor league" team with nerds and girls on it, and they had fun. Let's not scare them into the world of role-playing games and barbies at quite such an early age. There's plenty of time for that.

Then where is your argument for "suck it up and play against the better kid" now?

:wacko: What happened to Atomic "F the Man" CEO?

My first year of little league pitching...I sucked. One day, sitting around the house moping about it my dad said "Do you want to cry about it or do something about it?" One weekend later after having countless tennis balls thrown at me I go back to my team with a 4 inch choke on my bat. Goofy? Hell yes. My coach tried to stop me until I went 2 for 4 and brought my avg up to .364 by year's end - 5th on the team I think.

The point is: if you're going to go for role-playing and Barbies it's not because of failure in sports at that age it's because you want to.

+1

At this age, its all about building confidence and having fun. How confident is a new baseball player gonna feel, stepping up to the plate for one of his first times, and getting a 40 MPH heater thrown his way?

I was always taught that playing with kids better than you made you better. if so, the 9-year-old should have been moved up. If the argument of the parent is that the kid should be able to pitch, I'd ask why? The answer obviously should be so he can improve. I'd then ask how they expect him to improve by playing against kids that are not in his skill-set.

Why does this statement hold true to you in regards to the kid playing up but not hold true in regards to the kids his age getting better playing against him?

Edited by whomper

Why does this statement hold true to you in regards to the kid playing up but not hold true in regards to the kids his age getting better playing against him?

Exactly. If these parents would spend as much time practicing with their kid as they do bitching, their kid could hit a 40 mph fastball.