[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home Security

whoopazz

The cops say they go around soliciting lawn care or gutter cleaning or something. Three or four consecutive houses with no answer or barking, and they go for it. Our neighborhood has large lots (mine is .75 acre) with lots of trees, and people are trusting (including myself, until now). As the areas grows (Wake Forest, NC), these pricks will increase this tactic. As I said, I can take care of us when I'm here, but looking for advice on what works best for an empty house when no one is home. We have good insurance as do our friends, but as you can imagine they are still very upset by the violation and loss of property. As far as I know, they have not lost any "non replacable" things like photos or heirlooms thank god. I saw them tonight at the high school game and commented that I was surprised to see them and they responded, "we won't them take this from us too". Good people.

That is the target county we want to move to. Believe me, where i live it is nice and a great area but the people who live in the bad neighborhoods around DC jump on 214 and roll up into our area, then go nutz robbing and stealing. Kind of use to it around here. I've had my house broken into once but it was by en ex-friend who got addicted to crack and knew we had a doggy door he could squeeze through. that f*cker took my 5 gallon glass water jug I had filled with quarters, VCRs, DVD players and various poopy he could sell to pawn shops.

We checked out houses in Holy Springs, Carey, and Apex. There was one neighborhood we really like that was built on a golf course. Beautiful area. I can't wait to move down there.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody have anything good or bad to report on the various alarm companies? I've been looking @ Brinks, ADT, or Alarm Force. Any opinions or first hand experience with any of these companies?

I've been thinking about Alarm Force because they have direct monitoring and the best set up deal I've seen. I just don't know if one's better than the other.

We have an ADT wireless system, (about 8 years now) plus a dog with a mean-sounding bark. Motion sensors inside can be deactivated if the dog is wandering the house while we're gone. Probably a standard vanilla system, but it's worked pretty well. We've set it off accidentally a few times, and the cops are pretty quick to respond. Costs around $110 every 3 months, and the smoke alarms are tied to the fire department. Good for some insurance discounts.

A few pet peeves... ADT will call your primary contact number before dispatching police. If we're away for vacation, I call them in advance and authorize immediate emergency dispatch. Also, the local shop who did the install was terrible, and I had to have them come back to do it over. Since then, it's just changing the batteries and doing periodic tests.

Hope that helps.

Nosey neighbors. I have retierees living in 3 of the 5 houses around me and they are there all day. Nothing happens in this neighborhood that isn't marked and questioned.

We have nothing. I suppose we should at least lock the doors at night...

Oh how the world has changed.

Growing up we didn't even shut the door at night or when we left on errands. We would just have the screendoor closed to keep nature's little pests out.

I don't think my folks ever locked the car either, ever.