[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top Story?

detlef

I was logging into my webmail and roadrunner always has a list of top stories on the log in page. This was the leader...

Dude steals a handful of crackers

I'm in f'ing North Carolina! This happened in Connecticut. That's how many states away from here? And the "top story" is some dude that grabs a bunch of communion wafers and gets into a scuffle with some guys in the church?

I'm pretty certain that somebody stole something way more valuable than that around here. Or are we that freaked out about someone taking a bunch of crackers that we pretend are someone's flesh.

Edited by detlef

So, I take it by the fact that you guys are just taking random shots at me that my assertion that this is not news is somehow insulting to religion.

Oh, and btw, the kosher deal was not my idea. I make no claims about being a kosher restaurant, nor do I intend to trivialize someone’s attempts at eating kosher. It is rather obvious that whomever I was feeding is not so strict as to refuse to eat in a non-blessed kitchen and I simply wanted to be accommodating enough to at least not have anything on the table that could have been specifically offensive. Move on.

So, as we were. Me “insulting religion” by reminding everyone the perverse level of importance people place on religion, at least with respect to how they feel they must inundate even those who don’t follow with it. This story is just another example. See, yesterday morning, when I was on my bike ride, my friend and I came across a cat that had been struck by a car and was lying dead in the street. It couldn’t have been that long before when it happened. We stopped and moved it to the side of the road. Poor thing was still warm. It was insanely sad. I love my pets and would be so grief stricken had that been one of my dogs and I just felt horribly for its owner.

To me, that is ten-fold more tragic than a guy stealing communion wafers (especially when you consider that these wafers are considered holy by the same people who claim that this sweet lovable creature that my friend and I wished a good and final rest to does not have a soul nor is welcome in their heaven, but that’s another story entirely). Of course, that’s not going to make the news. To be honest, I’m not even sure what outrage the bit about a guy stealing these wafers is supposed to inspire. My guess it’s the fact that someone dared disgrace the church by stealing blessed devices. Of course, what I read into it is that someone was so desperate for a meal that he resorted to eating a handful of what is the culinary equivalent of Styrofoam and the church, a body that prides itself on helping the most desperate among us, pinned the guy down and had him arrested. Again, that’s another story entirely.

We’re being told this because we are intended to believe that this is an example of Christianity coming under attack. That someone stooped so low as to consume something deemed holy in an unholy manner. Of course, this is likely not the case and I’m rather certain that somewhere much closer to me than CT, some non-Christian person was the victim of a specific hate crime that was deliberately aimed at attacking their religion. Once again, this is apparently not news. Just keep your hands off the wafers.

See, that’s the big point. It appears that there’s one thing you just cannot do, and that’s imply that someone’s religion (especially Christianity) is not as important as they think it is, even if you simply say it’s not important to you. That, it seems, is tantamount to insulting them. That we take this attitude to such an extreme that those who do not practice religion are themselves often insulted is apparently not an issue. That, it seems, is simply collateral damage in the war to preserve religion (specifically Christianity, mind you), as if it’s really in any danger, at least from those of us who don’t have religion. That’s the funny thing, typically when Christianity comes under attack, it’s from another religion. Defending it from non-believers is about as important as making sure that Belgium doesn’t invade the US.

Case in point: Once again, the bit about the NC Senate race and Dole’s claims of godlessness. What was the first thing to come out after that? That Dole should be ashamed about lying because Hagen teaches Sunday school but that, in all fairness, Hagen should have been more careful about what events she attended. It took a while for anyone to actually remind us that Hagen shouldn’t have to be ashamed of attending an event hosted by atheists. Of course, if Hagen came out and said that right away, then my guess is that Dole’s strategy would have worked. No, the first step was to remind everyone not to worry, that she was, in fact, god-fearing. She left it to others to point out the fact that, true or not, simply making those claims at all was a reprehensible act on the part of Dole.

So, really, how is it an insult to your religion for someone to say that a guy stealing communion wafers was probably not the most important thing that went down on the entire eastern seaboard?

Edited by detlef

So, I take it by the fact that you guys are just taking random shots at me that my assertion that this is not news is somehow insulting to religion.

Oh, and btw, the kosher deal was not my idea. I make no claims about being a kosher restaurant, nor do I intend to trivialize someone’s attempts at eating kosher. It is rather obvious that whomever I was feeding is not so strict as to refuse to eat in a non-blessed kitchen and I simply wanted to be accommodating enough to at least not have anything on the table that could have been specifically offensive. Move on.

So, as we were. Me “insulting religion” by reminding everyone the perverse level of importance people place on religion, at least with respect to how they feel they must inundate even those who don’t follow with it. This story is just another example. See, yesterday morning, when I was on my bike ride, my friend and I came across a cat that had been struck by a car and was lying dead in the street. It couldn’t have been that long before when it happened. We stopped and moved it to the side of the road. Poor thing was still warm. It was insanely sad. I love my pets and would be so grief stricken had that been one of my dogs and I just felt horribly for its owner.

To me, that is ten-fold more tragic than a guy stealing communion wafers (especially when you consider that these wafers are considered holy by the same people who claim that this sweet lovable creature that my friend and I wished a good and final rest to does not have a soul nor is welcome in their heaven, but that’s another story entirely). Of course, that’s not going to make the news. To be honest, I’m not even sure what outrage the bit about a guy stealing these wafers is supposed to inspire. My guess it’s the fact that someone dared disgrace the church by stealing blessed devices. Of course, what I read into it is that someone was so desperate for a meal that he resorted to eating a handful of what is the culinary equivalent of Styrofoam and the church, a body that prides itself on helping the most desperate among us, pinned the guy down and had him arrested. Again, that’s another story entirely.

We’re being told this because we are intended to believe that this is an example of Christianity coming under attack. That someone stooped so low as to consume something deemed holy in an unholy manner. Of course, this is likely not the case and I’m rather certain that somewhere much closer to me than CT, some non-Christian person was the victim of a specific hate crime that was deliberately aimed at attacking their religion. Once again, this is apparently not news. Just keep your hands off the wafers.

See, that’s the big point. It appears that there’s one thing you just cannot do, and that’s imply that someone’s religion (especially Christianity) is not as important as they think it is, even if you simply say it’s not important to you. That, it seems, is tantamount to insulting them. That we take this attitude to such an extreme that those who do not practice religion are themselves often insulted is apparently not an issue. That, it seems, is simply collateral damage in the war to preserve religion (specifically Christianity, mind you), as if it’s really in any danger, at least from those of us who don’t have religion. That’s the funny thing, typically when Christianity comes under attack, it’s from another religion. Defending it from non-believers is about as important as making sure that Belgium doesn’t invade the US.

Case in point: Once again, the bit about the NC Senate race and Dole’s claims of godlessness. What was the first thing to come out after that? That Dole should be ashamed about lying because Hagen teaches Sunday school but that, in all fairness, Hagen should have been more careful about what events she attended. It took a while for anyone to actually remind us that Hagen shouldn’t have to be ashamed of attending an event hosted by atheists. Of course, if Hagen came out and said that right away, then my guess is that Dole’s strategy would have worked. No, the first step was to remind everyone not to worry, that she was, in fact, god-fearing. She left it to others to point out the fact that, true or not, simply making those claims at all was a reprehensible act on the part of Dole.

So, really, how is it an insult to your religion for someone to say that a guy stealing communion wafers was probably not the most important thing that went down on the entire eastern seaboard?

When you die and try to explain all of this to Jesus, he is going to introduce you to Satan. But don't shake hands with Satan. He always conceals a joy buzzer in his hand.

I can tell you that as a Catholic, there is pretty much nothing more sacred than blessed Communion hosts. You have to understand that Catholics believe that the true presence of our divine Lord and Savior Jesus Christ exists within the blessed hosts. There is really only one reason that someone would try to steal them, and that is to desecrate them.

If I witnessed something like this, I would absolutely give up my life to protect those Communion hosts from attempted desecration. That's why its news.

I was best man at a Catholic wedding once. Between the aerobics (stand up, sit down) and the 3-hour ceremony, I was pretty hungry so I ate the crackers the preacher dude was handing out. Am I going to hell?

Only you and God could possibly know the answer to that question.

But yes. :D:wacko:

I can tell you that as a Catholic, there is pretty much nothing more sacred than blessed Communion hosts. You have to understand that Catholics believe that the true presence of our divine Lord and Savior Jesus Christ exists within the blessed hosts. There is really only one reason that someone would try to steal them, and that is to desecrate them.

If I witnessed something like this, I would absolutely give up my life to protect those Communion hosts from attempted desecration. That's why its news.

That is actually a very bold assumption. See, I don't realize the fact that communion is the most sacred of acts in the church. Thus, it would not surprise me that others would not also realize this. From the looks of the guys photo in the story, I wouldn't be surprised to find that dude is neither aware of this, nor aware of any other amount of things that you shouldn't do. He probably wouldn't think twice about pissing on someone's doorstep or grabbing some old ladies handbag, etc. Who knows. So, to say that this act was a premeditated act to specifically desecrate your church might be a stretch. Again, at least to say that this is the only perversion he would commit that warranted semi-national attention.

Let me make one thing clear. I'm not condoning the action and would certainly show enough respect to someone's religion that I wouldn't bust into their service and do something like this. Not by a long shot.

I suppose that's my point. I don't intend to say that you shouldn't care about communion and if you feel so strongly that you would defend it from this guys action, so be it. That's your thing. I only brought up the bit about pinning down a possibly desperate man to show the irony. See, despite what people may think, I'm not anti-religion. I'm just not religious and often get tired about the somewhat outlaw-like connotations that often seems to carry. I just don't think it should be as important to everyone, especially those who don't practice it, as those who follow it seem to think.

Perhaps this story wasn't the one to get all fired up about. However, I honestly don't think that Christians truly understand the degree to which their vehement protection of their faith often crosses the line to the point that it either attacks the beliefs of others or implies an importance that stretches far outside their church and followers. You do realize that there's a lot of people who look to the heavens for guidance and the assurance that there's a higher power and it is impossible for all of them to be right about what is going on. That all of them feel that you have to believe in their version of this whole thing to go to heaven so it's certain that a lot of clean living people are going to hell. Doesn't that seem a bit odd?

I mentioned Hagen, What about Obama. When people were calling him Muslim. All he did was deny it. What he really needed to do was, not only set the record straight, but also remind everyone that he was running for President, not trying to be the next Pope, and that whether he was Christian, Catholic, Jew, Muslim, or Atheist should be of absolutely no concern to anyone. Once again, that would have been suicide for his campaign and that bothers me a ton. Like Hagen, he took the easy route and just made sure the Christians were happy with his answer. The rest of us are used to our 2nd tier status so we wouldn't hold it against him.

Edited by detlef

You posted asking why this was a top story. You don't care about it, and frankly I don't care if you care about it or not. I'm just trying to exaplin to you why it is a top story for the people who believe in the sacredness of the Communion hosts. There's no judgment being passed on you here... I'm just trying to point out that while you don't give a rip about this story, many people do. There are times when I see stories about celebrities and their relationships, and I wonder why someone would care enough for them to even mention it. But clearly some people do care, and that is why they continue to mention it.

Nobody's trying to convert you detlef, but it seems strange that you wouldn't even be able to understand why this story would matter to some people. It's a top story because a lot of people care. Nobody but yourself brought to light the fact that you don't care. So if you feel like a 2nd class person, that's your own issue.

And whether the dude in the story knew what he was doing or not, I woudl still do everything I could to stop him. But I think the you are the one who is stretching it a bit to assume that he was just randomly doing something that he didn't realize was such a big deal. If some 40 year old stranger was innocently talking to my son in the park, I would instantly put an end to it with as much force as necessary, even if the guy had nothign but good intentions, or at the very least a lack of bad intentions. Sometimes a dangerous situation is enough to warrant action before you are able to determine the intentions of those involved in the dangerous sitution.

Only you and God could possibly know the answer to that question.

But yes. :D:wacko:

Wait, so you're saying Jesus' body was inside some dry-ass nasty crackers? Seriously...you gotta be making this stuff up. There is no way a group of people can really believe this stuff, is it?

And you think I'm strange by not believing???

ETA: And you'd whip their ass for eating this stuff? The Sweet Lord must be up in Heaven looking down at us like a boxing match laughing his ass off what we've done to religion.

Edited by TimC

Savage...really? I mean, don't you have children who depend on their father? You would really willingly die to stop someone from desecrating the "Communion hosts?"

I'm not trying to be a d1k but I can't imagine Jesus/God saying that this was the correct choice given that you have a responsibility to your family as well.

By way of full disclosure--I am not in any way religious and do not ascribe to a religion.

You posted asking why this was a top story. You don't care about it, and frankly I don't care if you care about it or not. I'm just trying to exaplin to you why it is a top story for the people who believe in the sacredness of the Communion hosts. There's no judgment being passed on you here... I'm just trying to point out that while you don't give a rip about this story, many people do. There are times when I see stories about celebrities and their relationships, and I wonder why someone would care enough for them to even mention it. But clearly some people do care, and that is why they continue to mention it.

Nobody's trying to convert you detlef, but it seems strange that you wouldn't even be able to understand why this story would matter to some people. It's a top story because a lot of people care. Nobody but yourself brought to light the fact that you don't care. So if you feel like a 2nd class person, that's your own issue.

And whether the dude in the story knew what he was doing or not, I woudl still do everything I could to stop him. But I think the you are the one who is stretching it a bit to assume that he was just randomly doing something that he didn't realize was such a big deal. If some 40 year old stranger was innocently talking to my son in the park, I would instantly put an end to it with as much force as necessary, even if the guy had nothign but good intentions, or at the very least a lack of bad intentions. Sometimes a dangerous situation is enough to warrant action before you are able to determine the intentions of those involved in the dangerous sitution.

Again, I want to remind you that I wouldn't dream of implying that you shouldn't do what you felt needed to be done to stop someone from doing anything you thought was desecrating your church at all. And obviously ignorance is no excuse for the law.

And, fwiw, I couldn't agree more that Paris Hilton shouldn't make page 10, let alone page 1. I also don't intend to imply that it shouldn't matter to anyone. But someone five states away? We're exactly one week removed from electing a new president. News is coming to light every day that effect each and every one of us regarding Iraq, the banks, retail, Fema putting people in toxic trailers. And yet, because someone in a very small town five states away committed an act that insulted the beliefs of a parish of Catholics, that's semi-national news?

Sorry, but that's only semi-national news if you truly feel like you need to circle the wagons and defend yourselves from what could be becoming a an epidemic attack. Do you honestly feel that way?

Sorry again, but this attitude opens other cans of worms and I'm instantly reminded of all the manners that someone's specific religion is seemingly given a voice outside their own cloth.

I'm again reminded of the justification often given for voting against gay marriage. When they say that they feel that same sex partners should be afforded the legal rights of hetro married couples but that the government should not recognize that as a marriage. What they typically justify that belief with is the fact that, because they have stood in a church, and made promises to a god, and that god says dudes can't marry each other, that means that they not only must not marry another guy, but that they must also support legislation that says even those who have never stood in that church, or made those same promises to their god, must also live by all the restriction their god has placed on their life. Is this a fair statement?

Now, just because the laws of this land often overlap with the laws prescribed by many churches, does not, or should not imply precedent to take this any further. For instance, thou shalt not covet your neighbors wife but there's no law against it.

Edited by detlef

Savage...really? I mean, don't you have children who depend on their father? You would really willingly die to stop someone from desecrating the "Communion hosts?"

Well let's be realistic... I made an extreme statement, that would only come to be in themost extreme of circumstances. I can't really imagine a situation where I would be choosing to give up my life in protection of Holy Communion. But with that said, if the extreme circumstances indeed did arise, and my choice was to give up my life in order to prevent a desecration of that manner, then yes absolutely 100% I would. If you were to believe what I believe (and really truly believe it with all of your heart, not just lip service or some fleeting thoughts on the matter) then you'd probably have a smiliar reaction.

There are circumstances in life that are more important than self-preservation. For me, this would fall into that higher priority category.

In the meantime, this is just a thought exercise, so my children will still have their father in their lives to screw them up. :wacko: