[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help me decide on a TV

Chief Dick

:wacko: stay away from Samsung right now....

I know that I've urged Samsung purchases in the past, but they are having constant sound issues with their newer models...they have built up their reputation and doo-doo'd on it just as fast...

I'd stick with Sony, Panasonic or Sharp....

Really? How new? I bought a 46" Samsung back in October that was made in August. My surround sound system died 6 weeks ago and have been forced to use the tv sound system while it is getting fixed. I have been surprised and pretty content with the Sammy's sound system during that time.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? How new? I bought a 46" Samsung back in October that was made in August. My surround sound system died 6 weeks ago and have been forced to use the tv sound system while it is getting fixed. I have been surprised and pretty content with the Sammy's sound system during that time.

+1

Just bought a Sammy a few months ago as well and the sound seems perfectly fine. Does it start to degrade quickly over time or something?

I just bought the Samsung 52" LCD 650 series and I wouldn't trade it for the world. The picture quality is insane. I have surround sound set-up so my T.V. does not provide any sound.

I watched batman Dark Knight in Blu-Ray (I have a the bigger PS3) and I almost chit my britches when they flipped that 18 wheeler.

I researched the T.V.'s till I was blue in the face...go Samsung. IMO

My new Samsung 5 series is up and running (for DVDs and Xbox) and it is fantastic. Picture is great, sound is great and there's a guy installing the new HD Dish now. :wacko:

Obviously, I haven't seen a game on it yet - but if my son's Xbox games are any indication, fast motion should not be a problem. Call of Duty looked good with standard AV cables. I switched them out for one of the monoprice HDMI cables (thanks for the tip) and WOW! My son had half a dozen friends over and they were all blown away until I pulled the plug a 2 AM. :D

I think Robn is right, you can't win the tech game. I was worried about not getting a 120 Hz set, but this one has 5 ms response time and I'm very happy with it.

Will report after the games Sunday. :D

My new Samsung 5 series is up and running (for DVDs and Xbox) and it is fantastic. Picture is great, sound is great and there's a guy installing the new HD Dish now. :wacko:

Obviously, I haven't seen a game on it yet - but if my son's Xbox games are any indication, fast motion should not be a problem. Call of Duty looked good with standard AV cables. I switched them out for one of the monoprice HDMI cables (thanks for the tip) and WOW! My son had half a dozen friends over and they were all blown away until I pulled the plug a 2 AM. :D

I think Robn is right, you can't win the tech game. I was worried about not getting a 120 Hz set, but this one has 5 ms response time and I'm very happy with it.

Will report after the games Sunday. :D

This is good info. Thanks.

Well Mrs. Rebellab and I have been going over our budget on items we need for the house. I have a little part time job that pays very well and I have a little stash of money for my new home theater. We were discussing tvs and I pointed out that the TV that I was going to get was about the size of our coffee table top = 52". Now the TV that I want is a little bigger = 60". The family room in the house we just bought is 25X35, will this tv be too big. My feeling is the 50 or 52 is going to be too small. Any thoughts from huddle nation.

Well Mrs. Rebellab and I have been going over our budget on items we need for the house. I have a little part time job that pays very well and I have a little stash of money for my new home theater. We were discussing tvs and I pointed out that the TV that I was going to get was about the size of our coffee table top = 52". Now the TV that I want is a little bigger = 60". The family room in the house we just bought is 25X35, will this tv be too big. My feeling is the 50 or 52 is going to be too small. Any thoughts from huddle nation.

It all depends on how close you will be sitting to the TV. I just got a 46" Samsung LCD (Series 5 LNA540;Costco) and my wife and I sit approx. 9-12 ft away. I was worried about the size before buying but am now content with it. In fact if I went up in size at all, 52" would be the biggest I might want; and even then it might be too big. 46" is about right for our distance, yours may be different. There are plenty of sights that give you indicators of what size per distance you might want. However, do what I did, figure out the distance you normally view your current tv from, and then go to the store and watch the different sizes from that distance. It helped me feel more confident.

I've never seen a tv that was too big IMO. We bought a 50 even though we have a small living room thinking we're moving sometime in the near future anyway and our next LR will be bigger. We sit a little closer to it than we should but everyone that's been here loves it..

just got a 32" 720 sony bravia for the bedroom today .... amazing picture. was orginally looking at 20, and 26...but there was only a $50 difference between the 26 and 32.... was out the door at $500. was very close to getting a new 40, but we don't have a place for my current 40 (and not sure i want to put out effort to sell it)

Edited by Bier Meister

Broke down & got my first. Son got a F/T job & is leaving Best Buy.

Got a 720 due to not a gamer. 42" LG LCD for the employee price of $735.

77.9 horse racing channel is sweet!

That's the TV I bought recently. I'm pretty happy with it. I'm sure there are better TV's but I think this TV is a good value.

I went to Best Buy last night. Never again. Too much noise and chaos. Impossible to truly shop for a TV there. TV's are on the walls, but the damn placards are about halfway up the wall and you can barely read them. I will not buy there.

We went into BB yesterday. What a zoo. Half the TVs had no tags on them so you couldn't really compare what you were looking for. The lines at the return desk were WAY longer than at the checkouts. Hate that place.

Remember this is the place that almost single-handedly put Circuit City out of business. :wacko:

Anyway will be in the market shortly so thought I'd bump this. In another thread someone said Samsungs are being returned a lot for various problems - anyone have info on this? Also any other info or opinions, new trends/impressions on brands, types etc etc appreciated. FYI I'm probably looking at "only" a 32" and probably mid-range of those, price-wise. Will probably be doing a modest to light amount of gaming on it so not really much of a concern if any. Does the thing about plasmas wearing out quicker and/or harder to repair still hold? Thx

Edited by BeeR

My Samsung LCD has been up and running for a couple of weeks and I am still in awe. :wacko:

Games are simply incredible. Every blade of grass, distinct faces in the crowds - you can count the holes in the mesh of the spamshirts.

On the downside - the cheerleaders are not a hot - HD reveals their flaws.

The sound on my set is much better than any other TV I've had.

I'm enjoying it thoroughly. :D

It all depends on how close you will be sitting to the TV. I just got a 46" Samsung LCD (Series 5 LNA540;Costco) and my wife and I sit approx. 9-12 ft away. I was worried about the size before buying but am now content with it. In fact if I went up in size at all, 52" would be the biggest I might want; and even then it might be too big. 46" is about right for our distance, yours may be different. There are plenty of sights that give you indicators of what size per distance you might want. However, do what I did, figure out the distance you normally view your current tv from, and then go to the store and watch the different sizes from that distance. It helped me feel more confident.

my wife and I sit 9' from our 52" and at first it felt a bit "large" but after a couple of weeks it was just fine...and a year plus later it still is fine

• 2 months later...
I don't even see a 720 for that. :wacko:

I was reading some reviews and sounds like a lot of complaints with sound on the Sharps FWIW.

Yeah, I saw those also.

The Panasonic has great sound BTW.

I shopped for 2 years, and when the price dropped to this I snagged it. Bought it at Nebraska Furniture Mart here in KC. Not sure if they ship, but they are ALWAYS running a special. And WalMart.com had some really good pricing as well.