[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone else becoming a fan of a start-all-your-players leagues

BeeR

The process of deciding on who to start or not start is the one thing an owner of a ffb team can actually control. Its the one part that makes it challenging and gives out the most reward and most heart breaking moments. Choosing a lineup is the essence of ffb and creates legendary stories to tell years down the road. Starting the whole team takes all the fun out of the game.

I think it's safe to say this year has been especially tough for lineup decisions. Still, I think the 3 places where the better manager gains an advantage over the field are:

1. Draft day

2. Lineup decisions

3. Free agent/waiver moves

Trades are also important, but not as frequent as these 3. So, in answer to the OP I'd say no. Start All leagues wouldn't be as fun for me, even though lineup decisions often seem like a giant roulette wheel.

I disagree on all counts:

The process of deciding on who to start or not start is the one thing an owner of a ffb team can actually control.
No, you also control who you draft (more so with auction drafts) and at least to some extent who you do or don't get FA-wise.

Its the one part that makes it challenging and gives out the most reward and most heart breaking moments.
Assembling a talented team is challenging too, and there's IMO just too much luck involved week to week with picking starters.

Choosing a lineup is the essence of ffb
No, assembling a talented team is.

Starting the whole team takes all the fun out of the game.
nope - it takes the "I can't believe Player X laid an egg" out of the game. It focuses more on a player's overall production throughout that season and doesn't "zap" you so much for a bad week. I like that idea.

Assembling a talented team is challenging too, and there's IMO just too much luck involved week to week with picking starters.

I've picked the wrong starters many times this year in my leagues and seen my opponents do the same and while there is some luck involved I can't imagine being in a league where you started your whole roster. Picking your lineup every week does take some time, skill, and a bit of research can give you an edge over your opponent.

I am in a 4 leauges like that where you draft and then your done for the season. I like the best ball format but I hate the no waiver moves because injuries can knock off an entire position. I would like a league that has a mix of the 2 best ball format plus waiver moves.

I am in a 4 leauges like that where you draft and then your done for the season. I like the best ball format but I hate the no waiver moves because injuries can knock off an entire position. I would like a league that has a mix of the 2 best ball format plus waiver moves.

I'd be down for a league like that. Something to think about for next year.

"watching some bench schlep go off"

then why is he on your team at all. you should only have players on your team that you think will contribute, that is whole idea.

:wacko:

yeah, then all you have to do is guess (and it's largely that, a guess) which week he will "contribute." Even in smaller leagues, there are a lot of so-so players who stink one week, go off another week, stink the next, etc. There are also "stud" players who can occasionally disappear. Starting the whole team would mitigate that a lot.

PS not suggesting a league where there are no FAs at all. Just either start all players or maybe best ball. That kind of setup emphasizes acquiring the best talent, but is less subject to those unusual or unexpected big variances from the norm.

the Survivor League I joined is exactly like this. MFL submits your highest scoring players to round out your starting lineup. You draft and forget. No moves allowed. Lowest scoring team is eliminated each week. First year in this format and I find myself watching this league more closely than the ones I submit my lineup.

I'm in a "set it and forget it" survivor league. After the draft my only involvement in the league is to check scores on Tuesday to see if my team scored enough points to survive another week.

Even allowing for free agency it would still be a very low maintenance league where all you do is draft and work the waiver wire. Sounds like a dumbed down flavor to me.

I'm in a "set it and forget it" survivor league. After the draft my only involvement in the league is to check scores on Tuesday to see if my team scored enough points to survive another week.

Even allowing for free agency it would still be a very low maintenance league where all you do is draft and work the waiver wire. Sounds like a dumbed down flavor to me.

if it's too dumbed down for you, why do you pay to play? Just curious as like I said, it's my first year in this format and I find it refreshing...how long have you been in it?

if it's too dumbed down for you, why do you pay to play? Just curious as like I said, it's my first year in this format and I find it refreshing...how long have you been in it?

I joined a survivor type set it and forget it league this year for the first time. Largely because I find the draft to be very enjoyable and my time during the season to be very limited. I simply do not have the time to manage the teams I have throughout the season let alone any more.

So yes the season is "dumbed down" but that doesn't make these leagues worthless. The draft is VERY different when you know you won't be making ANY roster moves. Furthermore it was my first foray into a league of more than 12 teams. It would not seem to me as if I were truely participating in fantasy football during the season if the only league I was in was a set it and forget it league.

cool. How many are in your survivor and how many rounds? We have 17 teams with 18 rounds.

18 teams (1 eliminated each week of NFL season = 1 team undefeated)

Roster size is 10.

The best 7 each week are deemed to be your starters with the requirement that 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 PK and any combination of 3 RB/WR (no TEs so TE=WR) be started.

Interesting idea. It would take a bit of the fluke factor out of the equation, or at least even it out a little bit. That said, I'm ultimately against the idea because I just think it takes too much power away from the owners. As fruitless as picking a lineup usually is, the research that goes into it is a large portion of the fun of playing fantasy sports. Without having to set lineups, there just isn't enough left to do to make the league hold my attention.

Edited by Seahawks21

are you sure it's the very first? kinda hard to document...but cool if it is

The HEFFA league messageboard has "documentation" going back to before the 2000 season. There are threads on us hammering out the rules and the concept of the idea. Not sure if the Huddle has anything archived before that as it was initiated on the main board before we got our own league board set-up.