[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

December 7, 1941

Chief Dick

In remembrance of that day that changed America. God Bless those men and women who gave their lives that day.

:wacko:

+1.

Thank you Chief.

I went to Pearl Harbor during my Honeymoon. While my wife's father served in WWII, I had no family, nor knew anyone close to me that served during WWII. Nevertheless, I found myself actually crying while over the USS Arizona. I can't tell you how moving it was. The weirdest thing...I was going there feeling ultra patriotic and wanting to curse/hate Japan for what they did. Very base feelings. But while waiting to visit the memorial, I couldn't help but notice the sheer enormity of the numbers of Japanese that were there to likewise visit the memorial. My perspective really changed. These people, too, lost loved ones and were extremely reserved due to knowing they were on our soil and knowing what their country had done.

One more thing. I used to work for Dai-Ichi Kangyo Bank - a Japanese Bank that at that time was the 3rd largest bank in the world. Our main US office (my office) was in NYC in the twin towers. They set up a holiday party for the bank. It seems that it was scheduled for 12/7. I was the first to notice this and broght it to my director. He, in turn, pointed it out to upper management. The bank quickly cancelled the big party and scheduled something far more subdued on a later date. Come 12/7, all the Japanese staff kept their heads down in their work and did not really talk to any of the american staff. Talk about losing face!

My father was a Navy man for 22yrs. He was at PH on that day, just happenned to be on shore leave that day. He lost many friends and doesn't talk about it. Once when I was in my early 20's he told me about that day and to my knowledge he never mentioned it again.

+1.

Thank you Chief.

I went to Pearl Harbor during my Honeymoon. While my wife's father served in WWII, I had no family, nor knew anyone close to me that served during WWII. Nevertheless, I found myself actually crying while over the USS Arizona. I can't tell you how moving it was. The weirdest thing...I was going there feeling ultra patriotic and wanting to curse/hate Japan for what they did. Very base feelings. But while waiting to visit the memorial, I couldn't help but notice the sheer enormity of the numbers of Japanese that were there to likewise visit the memorial. My perspective really changed. These people, too, lost loved ones and were extremely reserved due to knowing they were on our soil and knowing what their country had done.

One more thing. I used to work for Dai-Ichi Kangyo Bank - a Japanese Bank that at that time was the 3rd largest bank in the world. Our main US office (my office) was in NYC in the twin towers. They set up a holiday party for the bank. It seems that it was scheduled for 12/7. I was the first to notice this and broght it to my director. He, in turn, pointed it out to upper management. The bank quickly cancelled the big party and scheduled something far more subdued on a later date. Come 12/7, all the Japanese staff kept their heads down in their work and did not really talk to any of the american staff. Talk about losing face!

I've been there twice, so I know of what you speak.

The interesting thing to me is on that day, it would be considered one of the triumphs in Japanese history. And I've always wondered what the Japanese tourists there are thinking. Do they have some pride, remorse, sadness, what? I have never seen anything but respect there, though.

A question for some of you elders. Since I'm in my mid 30's I don't have any memory of Vietnam, much less WWII . The only war times I have seen in my life our the Gulf War and some minor conflicts in Lybia, Afganastan and a few other minor scuffs.

I really don't feel anything I've seen in my lifetime has been threatening to any point where I've felt insecure about our security. Can you give me any insight to the feelings you and your peers of that time period felt about our security during the Vietnam War or WWII ?

I don't know what it must have been like to live in a time of a war where you may have felt in danger in this country.

My father was a Navy man for 22yrs. He was at PH on that day, just happenned to be on shore leave that day. He lost many friends and doesn't talk about it. Once when I was in my early 20's he told me about that day and to my knowledge he never mentioned it again.

Mel,

It would be really cool if you'd like to share his story that day.

A question for some of you elders. Since I'm in my mid 30's I don't have any memory of Vietnam, much less WWII . The only war times I have seen in my life our the Gulf War and some minor conflicts in Lybia, Afganastan and a few other minor scuffs.

I really don't feel anything I've seen in my lifetime has been threatening to any point where I've felt insecure about our security. Can you give me any insight to the feelings you and your peers of that time period felt about our security during the Vietnam War or WWII ?

I don't know what it must have been like to live in a time of a war where you may have felt in danger in this country.

My first response to this as someone also in their mid-30s is what would you call September 11th, 2001 and the subsequent years of the 'war on terror'? That day was a much more scarring collective experience for Americans than the attack on Pearl Harbor. I'm not downplaying the significance of this date in our history, but I believe you're underestimating the impact of the events of recent experience and their place in the grander scheme.

While the level and type of military involvement now is different than it was in Vietnam, I'm pretty sure we all know someone or at least know of someone who's in/been in Iraq or Afghanistan.

And I'm not sure about the rest of you, but if that chill of uncertainty and fear while events unfolded in Mumbai last week wasn't akin to feeling an ominous danger about our security, I'm not sure what could be.

I've been there twice, so I know of what you speak.

The interesting thing to me is on that day, it would be considered one of the triumphs in Japanese history. And I've always wondered what the Japanese tourists there are thinking. Do they have some pride, remorse, sadness, what? I have never seen anything but respect there, though.

While stationed in Iwakuni, Japan in 1972 I was able to go to Peace Park (IIRC, that's what it was called) in Hiroshima. I imagine what those Japanese tourists were feeling at Pearl Harbor were very similiar to what I felt then: great sadness.

Many soldiers in that war don't want to talk about it.

Going from the depression to saving the world from Hitler and the Japanese and then turning them into our allies. :wacko:

While stationed in Iwakuni, Japan in 1972 I was able to go to Peace Park (IIRC, that's what it was called) in Hiroshima. I imagine what those Japanese tourists were feeling at Pearl Harbor were very similiar to what I felt then: great sadness.

Yeah but don't you think you were sad at what we HAD to do, as opposed to them who we are guessing they're sad at what they CHOSE to do?

Not even remotely close.

Mel,

It would be really cool if you'd like to share his story that day.

Short,short version he was stationed on the West Virginia, enough said there. He was on shore leave from the day before and was scheduled to go back at 1200. All hell broke loose. He was in the Pacific the whole war, never saw Europe. If you want a longer version call me and we can alk about what I remember from that talk.

On a side note my youngest daughter was born on 12/7. That little girl got anything she wanted from grandpa, he used to tell her that she made that day worth living through year after year., though she never knew why until later in life. :wacko:

watch Band of Brothers for the Hollywood version which was done very well.

My Dad served in the Army in WWII, he didn't talk much about it either. Couldn't watch war movies either.

I honestly think that a main reason you, "don't feel anything I've seen in my lifetime has been threatening to any point where I've felt insecure about our security", is due to the heroic efforts and actions performed by the soldiers of WWII.

You have to understand that Hitler was a total nut case, that had absolute full intentions of taking over the world, and was

on his way to doing it, starting with Europe, until we Americans stepped in. He had the military force to do it, if left unchecked.

Combine that with the Japanese and what happened at PH, and of course it was on! That was to close to 'home'.

I wasn't alive then, but talking to my Mother and relatives, they all sacrificed here at home for 'the war effort'. They all

felt the insecurity of the possibilities. It defined a generation and believe it or not, defines you to some extent today.

It was a horrible, horrible war but it had to be fought and won to secure our freedom and democracy around the world.

"Today is a day that will live in infamy"

:wacko:

edit: Slayer, that is very touching about your daughter.

Edited by pig devilz

My first response to this as someone also in their mid-30s is what would you call September 11th, 2001 and the subsequent years of the 'war on terror'?

Not to take away from the fear we all felt , but I never felt like we were under attack to the extent of what I would consider to be a war. Pearl Harbor must have gripped Americans were fear that we would be invaded and bombed, putting much more doubt into our saftey.

On a side note my youngest daughter was born on 12/7. That little girl got anything she wanted from grandpa, he used to tell her that she made that day worth living through year after year., though she never knew why until later in life. :wacko:

Sounds like the Good Lord sent her on that day to help him.

This gives me chills. :D

Not to take away from the fear we all felt , but I never felt like we were under attack to the extent of what I would consider to be a war. Pearl Harbor must have gripped Americans were fear that we would be invaded and bombed, putting much more doubt into our saftey.

Consider that Pearl Harbor wasn't in the "US" as it was known then. The attack wasn't broadcast on television, and certainly any footage was limited and on news reels that were presented much much later after the fact. It ushered in an era of war for this country, but our government had already taken sides in the conflicts being fought around the world. WWII was unique in the sense that it was literally a global conflict with battlegrounds all over the world that required the resources of every nation, civilian and military, to be devoted towards its conduct.

Of course you can't compare the whole sociological impact of that era while what occurred in 2001, but consider also that the war was ostensibly fought and done in 4 years, while whether we like to admit it or not, the events of 7 years ago have yet to be resolved and still factor in much of the way our government/people conduct themselves.

Again, I'm not trying really even to compare these two events as much to point out that your own experiences with recent events are in many respects as profound as what Americans have experienced in other eras. Obviously what happened at each time has had different consequences, but nevertheless, we live in an epochal era of history.

This is what I was thinking about when I first read your post TOS. It's a public radio program broadcast in 2002 featuring "voice on the street" recordings done on December 8th, 1941 and subsequent recordings made on September 12th, 2001. It's an hour long broadcast, but it has some fascinating moments featuring the differences and similarities between these specific events and the USA's which existed 60 years apart from each other. An interesting listen still.