[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Christmas movies

BeeR

First off if I can't catch these via the "on demand" or some other commercial-free way, forget it. Nothing worse than getting into a movie and suddenly some #$%^ goofy ad flits across the screen while it's still going on. That said I did just see the Patton I mean George C Scott version of "Christmas Carol" - not the worst I ever saw and Scott does a good job given what he has to work with, but nothing you should mind missing (Albert Finney's is the best). Also I have been watching "Prancer" for about an hour now and gave up - that little girl is a terrible actor even for a kid and whoever the director is isn't any better.....too bad, cute little story idea.

I can still watch "It's a Wonderful Life" but have seen it enough I don't care much if I don't.

Still like seeing the cartoon classics (Rudolph etc).

Having seen "A Christmas Story" once was enough. It's OK not a big fan though.

I liked the orig "Miracle on 34th St" and haven't seen in awhile so would like to catch that.

More un-kid-like ones:

I like "Scrooged" but have seen that enough I can live without it too.

Don't like the "Vacation" flicks so pass on those.

Really liked "The Ref" and try to catch that.

others?

Edited by BeeR

A Christmas Story is a staple and I'm sure I'll catch it - if not in pieces - over the holiday.

My wife absolutely LOVES Elf and I must say I'm a fan as well.

The one that's out now - Four Christmases - was surprisingly good. Not cut of the ilk of the previously mentioned two, but good.

A sleeper pick of mine is The Family Man , with Nick Cage. Cage is his normal Cage-self, but it's a real good movie. Never escape a chance to see Tea Leoni, either. It's dubbed as a modern-day Frank Capra type of flick, but that might be strokin' it a bit much. Funny that it's directed by action ace Brett Ratner.

OK, oldtimer here, but I saw this version of "A Christmas Carol" when I was a kid & I loved it and love it to this day. Same bug eyed kid (Tiny Tim) that was in "Goodbye Mr Chips". There are several, but this is the best IMHO!

"Miracle on 34th Street" w/ the most beautiful woman that ever to grace the silver screen....Natalie Wood.

"The Bells of St. Mary's". But you may have to be Catholic to appreciate it. :wacko: but then again, who doesn't like Bing Crosby??

Search IMDB Crosby....There are more.

Seriously...except for the fact that they are B&W, the kids love them for their low key, peaceful ambiance.

Nightmare Before Christmas is an annually watched movie for me.

I can't decide if that's a Christmas flick or Halloween one. :wacko: I think I lean to Halloween actually so I'd rather to see a little Christmas stuff then vs the other way around. I was surprised how much I liked this though; good call.

A Christmas Story is a staple and I'm sure I'll catch it - if not in pieces - over the holiday.

The one that's out now - Four Christmases - was surprisingly good. Not cut of the ilk of the previously mentioned two, but good.

A sleeper pick of mine is The Family Man , with Nick Cage. Cage is his normal Cage-self, but it's a real good movie. Never escape a chance to see Tea Leoni, either. It's dubbed as a modern-day Frank Capra type of flick, but that might be strokin' it a bit much. Funny that it's directed by action ace Brett Ratner.

+1

"The Family Man" is an excellent one that follows in the footsteps of "It's a Wonderful life" and gives one perspective on life and the soul of thanksgivings at Christmas time.( Interestingly, neither have a holiday theme in their title either.)

"Elf" is a good humorous story for the kids as well as one adults can enjoy.

Edward Scissorshands is (pardon me) hands down the best XMas flick in the last 25+ years.

I thought it was pretty good way back when I first saw it (haven't since) but I wouldn't call that "Christmas movie."

Pass on Elf - can't stand Farrell.

OK, oldtimer here, but I saw this version of "A Christmas Carol" when I was a kid & I loved it and love it to this day. Same bug eyed kid (Tiny Tim) that was in "Goodbye Mr Chips". There are several, but this is the best IMHO!

"Miracle on 34th Street" w/ the most beautiful woman that ever to grace the silver screen....Natalie Wood.

"The Bells of St. Mary's". But you may have to be Catholic to appreciate it. :wacko: but then again, who doesn't like Bing Crosby??

Search IMDB Crosby....There are more.

Seriously...except for the fact that they are B&W, the kids love them for their low key, peaceful ambiance.

RR, is your wife aware of your infatuation with NW? Or perhaps Mrs. RR is better looking?...I'm guessing she is. Bless you...

Edward Scissorshands is (pardon me) hands down the best XMas flick in the last 25+ years.

I like this flick too. Never really thought of it as a Christmas film......lol......but I guess it is! :D

(Not a Christmas movie......but I loved Benny and Joon too. Can you GET much better than Depp and Aidan Quinn in one movie?? I think NOT. :wacko: )

:D on Bells of St Mary's.....but NOT because of Crosby.....lol. I'm a HUGH Ingrid Bergman fan.

LOVE The Ref. We've been looking for a DVD copy for a couple years now.

The Bishop's Wife 1947 version.....Cary Grant, Loretta Young, David Niven. Charming movie.

Trading Places.....the scene of Akyroyd as drunk santa terrorizing the Christmas party, stealing the salmon to eat on the bus, etc...priceless.

We still watch While You Were Sleeping every year. Light movie.....nice cast!

I'd say the Grinch still has my heart.....Max the dog always kills me. :D

I agree. I found it entertaining.

RR, is your wife aware of your infatuation with NW? Or perhaps Mrs. RR is better looking?...I'm guessing she is. Bless you...

:wacko: She reminded me of NW the first time I saw her. Seriously. Big cow eyes, long dark brown hair and short.

And YES she is aware of my infatuation. In my eyes she is at least as beautiful as NW. :D And NO...she is not looking over my shoulder, but laughed when I read her this post.

Love Elf - watch it year round.

"Buddy the elf. What's your favorite color?" :wacko:

I hear that line and a doezn others from that movie all year from my kids. They'll bust one out on my wife they they're in trouble with her trying to lighten her mood. :D

Watched White Christmas (Bing, baby!) and It's a Wonderful Life with the kids on Sunday.