[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Open on Christmas Day...

keggerz

Ok, going thru a shopping center today i notice a banner hanging over STARBUCKS saying they are open from 8-4 on Christmas Day...

For years retailers were never open on Christmas Day and a few years ago there were a few that started to open on Christmas Day...stores like 7-11 were open for limited hours(but they are open 24/7)...restaurants were open and maybe gas stations....a place like Starbucks being open just goes to show how A. Greedy some companies have become B. How desperate some comapanies have become

so who else is open on Christmas Day?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, going thru a shopping center today i notice a banner hanging over STARBUCKS saying they are open from 8-4 on Christmas Day...

For years retailers were never open on Christmas Day and a few years ago there were a few that started to open on Christmas Day...stores like 7-11 were open for limited hours(but they are open 24/7)...restaurants were open and maybe gas stations....a place like Starbucks being open just goes to show how A. Greedy some companies have become B. How desperate some comapanies have become

so who else is open on Christmas Day?

I think the local video stores are open. went there and rented games for a new game system once.

I remember from being a 15-18 year old hourly employee at crappy jobs like supermarkets and restaurants that I would have to work several hours on holidays. If you don't, you're fired. It sucked, but that's what those jobs are all about. Sucking.

I've worked on Christmas, New Years Day, Easter, Thanksgiving... the works.

Edited by AtomicCEO

Movie theaters :D

Unlike Thanksgiving, Christmas is a secular holiday and not everyone is Christian. All the Jewish people need to have something to do. You racist :wacko:

i know stores are open...just seems more stores that normally would have been closed are now staying open is all

Actually, that is not quite true. Christmas is indeed a federal holiday.

At our work, the Jews get free days off for their holidays...ummmm Hannukah, Rash Hassana, Kill the Jesus, etc...while us Christians work and they also get and take Christmas. They end up getting like 58 holidays a year.

I refuse to spend a penny anywhere open on Christmas (and Thanksgiving). I'm hoping if they don't make any money, the won't open. People in retail deserve at least 2 days off a year. And consumers can go 2 days without shopping.

I refuse to spend a penny anywhere open on Christmas (and Thanksgiving). I'm hoping if they don't make any money, the won't open. People in retail deserve at least 2 days off a year. And consumers can go 2 days without shopping.

:wacko: people really have no clue just how draining the holiday season is on employees that work in retail...and my point of this thread wasnt to bash the businesses that are normally open on christmas but ones like starbucks and walmart(if they are open on christmas) that normally in the past were closed but now due to either greed or desperation they are staying open on christmas

I haven't worked on Xmas for years. That said, the sun rises and sets on every day like the next. Because of my profession, I've gotten used to working on the days that many people celebrate. New Years Eve, Valentines Day, Mothers Day, etc. For instance, with regards to Valentines day, I make my wife a quiet dinner at home a few days before or after the 14th, whatever works best for us.

Isn't that where boxing day came from? All the people who worked on Xmas (traditionally domestics) took the next day off? At least that's what the British woman that I used to cook for said. Ironically, she threw a big party that day which meant her domestic staff actually worked that day. Hell, for that matter, I often spent many hours on Xmas prepping. That on top of putting on number of meals for her in-town relatives leading up to Xmas. Mind you, for the right price... In this case, they always left for vacation the next day and I got the next 3 weeks off paid and a bonus big enough to take me and my wife someplace nice.

I understand that the poor kid working at 7-11 isn't having the same carrot dangled before them. However, I was happy to trade my holiday, as was my wife. We usually made a nice Xmas dinner from the things I was prepping for Boxing day anyways.

:wacko: people really have no clue just how draining the holiday season is on employees that work in retail...and my point of this thread wasnt to bash the businesses that are normally open on christmas but ones like starbucks and walmart(if they are open on christmas) that normally in the past were closed but now due to either greed or desperation they are staying open on christmas

not so sure it's just about greed or desperaton..... they might be staying open to fill a need (may fall under greed). as a consumer who doesn't celebrate christmas, it's nice to have options out there.

Curious, bashing desperate businesses in the name of holiday spirit. That's an interesting twist.

Wal-Mart is closed on Christmas

I got a haircut from the local barber Saturday and there was a sign on his door that read "Open for Christmas. Look and feel great with a shave and a haircut...2 bits"

This guy is a fantastic old school barber that still does the back of your neck with a blade. Getting a shave there is heaven on earth and something I might treat myself to after all the gifts are ripped into billion shreds of paper. He's been doing this 2bits on Christmas promotion for years but I'm just now finding out about it.