[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Talk to me about...

darin3

I know there's probably a few threads hanging around on this topic, but my question is kind of specific given the fact that my budget is ultra-low for this. I am about to start a little side job which requires me to have a GPS in my vehicle. I did a little research before Christmas, as I thought my parents were going to get me one. I thought TomTom and Garmin probably had the best units for around $100. Is this the case?

Do they all need yearly updates? My S-FIL had to spend like $90 on this year's updates. What the heck? I don't want to have to do that. Are there any that have free updates?

Your thoughts/comments are most appreciated. TIA.

Not sure on the updates - paid 2 bills for my Garmin Nuvi - but they come in several models. I'm sure you can get one for less, as I bought middle of the road w/a larger screen.

The Nuvi I'm looking at is $119 at Best Buy. The TomTom with comparable screen is only $99, and says it has traffic updates. Does the Nuvi have this? Both have 3.5" screens.

The Nuvi I'm looking at is $119 at Best Buy. The TomTom with comparable screen is only $99, and says it has traffic updates. Does the Nuvi have this? Both have 3.5" screens.

I have the Nuvi and my wife paid about that. It's great. We bought it for the sole reason that Garmin is based here in Kansas City. And I drive around the city so much that I don't really need traffic updates. ( I can pretty much work around any problems.)

Traffic updates are an option on the Nuvi - I'm betting the one you're looking at does not have them, but that's just my guess.

I only have used the Garmin NUVI and while my wife was on a trip it even showed a kinda side road the state built while there was construction going on. I bought a middle of the road model only because a friend of mine who travels alot was there at the same time and he likes Garmin over TomTom.. our company also uses Garmin and we need accurate directions. I havent did any D/L.. upgrades.. on mine. Kinda figure they are all about the same.

I have a Garmin and it works like a charm. You can get real time traffic updates but those are part of a subscription service. Screw that.Firmware and map updates are available from the Garmin web site for free. I was able to update the firmware super easy as the unit has a USB interface. Just plug it into the computer, run the software, reboot the device.

I have a Garmin and it works like a charm. You can get real time traffic updates but those are part of a subscription service. Screw that.Firmware and map updates are available from the Garmin web site for free. I was able to update the firmware super easy as the unit has a USB interface. Just plug it into the computer, run the software, reboot the device.

This is exactly how the Tom Tom works

bought the nuvi 200 at wal-mart on sale for 100 bucks, but it didn't speak the street names. just says turn in 0.2 miles. This sucks! took it back, ordered the nuvi 260 on amazon for 147 bucks - gives you name of street, i.e. turn on elm in 0.2 miles. it was the best 47 bucks i ever spent. well, other than time in tijuana but that's a story for another day.

Better late than never...

I bought my first GPS about 6 years ago. A Garmin, worked well, but very limited by today's standards. It died a month ago.

We bought the Honda w/ their GPS built in./ It works well, but the update is like $250! :wacko:

Recently I have used Verizon's GPS service for the cell phone (I think other carriers have similar). $2.99/ 24 hour use or $9.99/month for unlimited. It works great! It includes traffic info, gives several views, stores locations, always up-to-date w/ no extra fees, but obviously the screen size is small. The minutes used only count when updating (on a 2 hour trip it used 3 minutes). I'd recommend it highly as an alternative. If not, Garmin is the best IMHO.

Better late than never...

I bought my first GPS about 6 years ago. A Garmin, worked well, but very limited by today's standards. It died a month ago.

We bought the Honda w/ their GPS built in./ It works well, but the update is like $250! :wacko:

Recently I have used Verizon's GPS service for the cell phone (I think other carriers have similar). $2.99/ 24 hour use or $9.99/month for unlimited. It works great! It includes traffic info, gives several views, stores locations, always up-to-date w/ no extra fees, but obviously the screen size is small. The minutes used only count when updating (on a 2 hour trip it used 3 minutes). I'd recommend it highly as an alternative. If not, Garmin is the best IMHO.

+1

If you have an IPhone, I'd look into the Maps with GPS feature. You can't beat it.

How exactly does it work?

You D/L the s/w to your phone. Then your phone is the interface/HW. Search addy's, plan a route, etc. The screen is small and the zoom isn't as good as a Garmin, but it talks clearly, gives plenty of advanced notice, and the traffic feature is Great! Supposedly if you have the monthly package you can go on line, plan trips, and upload to the phone. I never tried that but then a monthly subscription is over kill for me. We usually use the wife's car.

Did I mention I have a watch w/ a compass and other toys on it? :DCasio....

First you point it at the North star.... :D

:wacko:

Edited by rocknrobn26

You D/L the s/w to your phone. Then your phone is the interface/HW. Search addy's, plan a route, etc. The screen is small and the zoom isn't as good as a Garmin, but it talks clearly, gives plenty of advanced notice, and the traffic feature is Great! Supposedly if you have the monthly package you can go on line, plan trips, and upload to the phone. I never tried that but then a monthly subscription is over kill for me. We usually use the wife's car.

Did I mention I have a watch w/ a compass and other toys on it? :DCasio....

:wacko:

does it work off of satellites or transliterating between cell towers?

It only works off of GPS phones, so I'm guessing Sats.

I got to use a 3g last week. We were getting errors of 30-90 feet in the wide open off of a known position. Not only that the solutions shifted wildly. These things are based off of cell towers and they are not something you want to trust with any degree of accuracy. The one we used couldnt tell if we were on access roads or the interstate.