[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worst movies you ever saw

BeeR

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erin Brockovich & Memento are two of my favorites. I though The Butterfly Effect was good as well.

When I rented Butterfly Effect, you could choose to watch the directors cut or the theatrical release, and I watched the Directors cut and liked it. Then I decided to check out what the theatrical release was, and they slapped on some sugary out of place happy ending to it and ruined it.

Kind of like if you watch Suicide Kings, skip the normal ending, and go watch Alternate Ending 2 (which in this case is actually the happier of the endings). In the context of the movie, it makes a lot more sense.

I watched The Butterfly Effect the other night and it wasn't that bad...can't figure out where you are getting a 'happy ending' though.

And while it's really hard to top the movie Ishtar (although the line from Beatty about getting sold a blind camel was pretty damn funny), the movie Cable Guy comes real close...still, Caddy Shack 2 has got to be the biggest disappointment in our generation. And Chevy Chase was in, although for about 2 seconds...even he was trying to leave the theater :wacko:

1) Worst ever:

Joe Versus The Volcano

2) Also awful:

The remake of the Pink Panther with Steve Martin (and now there's a sequel!!! :wacko: )

3) Two others that I disliked but that got critical acclaim:

Pulp Fiction and Leaving Las Vegas

I walked out of all of these movies. :D

I walked out of all of these movies. :wacko:

Wow. It's amazing how different people's tastes in movies can be. Easily 2 desert island movies for me.

1) Worst ever:

Joe Versus The Volcano

2) Also awful:

The remake of the Pink Panther with Steve Martin (and now there's a sequel!!! :wacko: )

I walked out of all of these movies. :D

Now, I wouldn't go so far as include Pulp Fiction on my list, but I can also see where you're going with this. Not remotely as big a fan of Tarantino as basically everyone alive. He trades on pop culture cliches and childhood memories of random stupid things to keep his audiences interested. At least when he's not being needlessly gory. Also, his long edits of people having the same stupid conversations that we've all had when stoned enough point to a self importance on his part that I find annoying.

In general, his movies are like those K-tel Greatest hits albums (to borrow his inclination to draw on familiar childhood pop culture). Just packed with things you like, but lacking any real soul.

Edited by detlef

Now, I wouldn't go so far as include Pulp Fiction on my list, but I can also see where you're going with this. Not remotely as big a fan of Tarantino as basically everyone alive. He trades on pop culture cliches and childhood memories of random stupid things to keep his audiences interested. At least when he's not being needlessly gory. Also, his long edits of people having the same stupid conversations that we've all had when stoned enough point to a self importance on his part that I find annoying.

Good summation of the overblown self-loving Tarantino. His movies are mostly tedious twaddle, though vaguely amusing sometimes.

very valid criticisms of his work, and he's made several movies that really just plain suck. but pulp fiction is a seriously great flick.

Also, his long edits of people having the same stupid conversations that we've all had when stoned enough point to a self importance on his part that I find annoying.

Things I have never had a conversation about:

Robbing a bank with no gun

Carrying a pocket watch inside your rectum

The comparative cleanliness of dogs and pigs

What fast food is called in foreign countries

The sexyness of a pot belly on women

The ethics of storing dead bodies in a friend's garage

What it's like to kill a man with your fists

The difference between a foot massage and oral sex

Walking the earth and getting into adventures as a career

Things I have had a conversation about:

Whether or not improbable occurrences are "miracles"

Comfortable/uncomfortable silences

Good coffee vs. Cheap coffee

Good summation of the overblown self-loving Tarantino. His movies are mostly tedious twaddle,

Tedious, absurdly violent/vulgar/sewage type twaddle. barf.

Joe v Volcano is a good call. double barf.

Edited by BeeR

very valid criticisms of his work, and he's made several movies that really just plain suck. but pulp fiction is a seriously great flick.

Truth be told, I actually did mostly enjoy Pulp Fiction and even more so, Resevoir Dogs. Like some of the other movies listed in this thread, however, I've just never felt that it warranted the love fest that it has gotten.

how could I forget magnolia? tom cruise as himself? raining frogs? total ripoff of far superior films by the likes of robert altman? easy top five in my all-time worst.

We're on the same page again.

I guess neither one of us like totally pointless pretention in alleged arty films.