[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

so they like raising taxes, but dont pay them

dmarc117

WASHINGTON – Former Sen. Tom Daschle, picked by President Barack Obama to lead his health reform efforts, recently filed amended tax returns to report $128,203 in back taxes and $11,964 in interest, according to a Senate document obtained by The Associated Press.

The White House acknowledged Friday that "some tax issues" had emerged in connection with the nomination, but a spokesman said the president is confident the former Senate Democratic leader will be confirmed as the new health secretary.

Daschle filed amended tax returns for 2005, 2006 and 2007 to reflect additional income for consulting work, the use of a car service and reduced deductions for charitable contributions. He filed the returns after Obama announced he intended to nominate Daschle to head the Health and Human Services Department.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes lying us into a war look like nothing.

No, but it does make the whole change mantra a joke. This guy is no different than any other politician. You were fooled. He may or may not turn out to have a successful term. However, he is off to a fairly unstable start with these issues for someone that was going to clean up Washington. I will now wait for your pointless response that relates to GW. I don't know if you are aware, he is gone. Your guy is in now. Let's see some of this magic.

We all like paying taxes. Why would he deprive himself of the joy of sending that money to the IRS?

Because of an apparent clerical error by the equity firm, Daschle did not report more than $83,000 in consulting fees in 2007 and has not provided sufficient documentation relating to $15,000 in charitable contributions over three years, according to the panel's report. He and his wife, Linda, gave $276,000 in charitable contributions during the three-year period being studied by the panel, according to a Daschle aide.

His spokeswoman, Jenny Backus, said the presidential transition team "concluded that some of his charitable donations were not properly documented and may have been deducted in error," and the couple paid $5,693 in back taxes.

That doesn't look good.

No, but it does make the whole change mantra a joke. This guy is no different than any other politician. You were fooled. He may or may not turn out to have a successful term. However, he is off to a fairly unstable start with these issues for someone that was going to clean up Washington. I will now wait for your pointless response that relates to GW. I don't know if you are aware, he is gone. Your guy is in now. Let's see some of this magic.

:wacko:

You seem to know me pretty well to conclude I was fooled. I had no illusions about Obama. Simply put, of all the turds before me, he had the most peanuts so I grabbed a fork. Whether he ends up changing anything or not is not an indication that he wasn't the candidate with the most potential to change things.

You think rich guys do their own taxes? I know a few. They pay someone else to do them. What do they expect out of these people? That they do the work, that they minimize the tax liability and that they assume responsibility for any errors. So Daschle's homeboy does his taxes and as all tax guys do, they specialize in the gray area. Daschle signs the tax form, pays tax guy for doing them and submits them and I'm sure there's a wink-wink involved. $hit, I;'m going to be looking for some dude from H & R Block to do the same thing for me this afternoon but to kickin a debit card at a high interestrate too so I can afford the good parking at Medical City next week. I expect him to not do anything illegal but if he does how would I even know? Fast forward to now and some advisor decides whoever did Daschle's 2005-2007 taxes cutit a little close on some income and deductions so inorder topreventit frombeing an issue in the confirmation process, Daschle, out of an abundance of caution and upon the advice of his puppetmaster, decides to go make right.

That ain't great. It's hardly an indictment of Obama's presidential legacy.

But nice to see you expected Obama to fix everything in a week given it took the previous president 8 years to f*ck it all up. And you call my expectations of Obama unrealistic? Sounds like you were the one expecting a miracle, not me.

No, but it does make the whole change mantra a joke. This guy is no different than any other politician. You were fooled.

What are you talking about? As far as I can see... Obama is making people pay their taxes before he works for them. Was Daschle immune to scandal before? Was he not a public figure? Or when Obama tagged him did he say "Take care of your issues before you work for me", and he did?

I can't imagine how this is being spun as a bad thing for Obama after the stuff that's been justified for the last 8 years.

What are you talking about? As far as I can see... Obama is making people pay their taxes before he works for them. Was Daschle immune to scandal before? Was he not a public figure? Or when Obama tagged him did he say "Take care of your issues before you work for me", and he did?

I can't imagine how this is being spun as a bad thing for Obama after the stuff that's been justified for the last 8 years.

other side of the coin is why would ya hire a cheat and think that's a good example for America

:wacko:

You seem to know me pretty well to conclude I was fooled. I had no illusions about Obama. Simply put, of all the turds before me, he had the most peanuts so I grabbed a fork. Whether he ends up changing anything or not is not an indication that he wasn't the candidate with the most potential to change things.

You think rich guys do their own taxes? I know a few. They pay someone else to do them. What do they expect out of these people? That they do the work, that they minimize the tax liability and that they assume responsibility for any errors. So Daschle's homeboy does his taxes and as all tax guys do, they specialize in the gray area. Daschle signs the tax form, pays tax guy for doing them and submits them and I'm sure there's a wink-wink involved. $hit, I;'m going to be looking for some dude from H & R Block to do the same thing for me this afternoon but to kickin a debit card at a high interestrate too so I can afford the good parking at Medical City next week. I expect him to not do anything illegal but if he does how would I even know? Fast forward to now and some advisor decides whoever did Daschle's 2005-2007 taxes cutit a little close on some income and deductions so inorder topreventit frombeing an issue in the confirmation process, Daschle, out of an abundance of caution and upon the advice of his puppetmaster, decides to go make right.

That ain't great. It's hardly an indictment of Obama's presidential legacy.

But nice to see you expected Obama to fix everything in a week given it took the previous president 8 years to f*ck it all up. And you call my expectations of Obama unrealistic? Sounds like you were the one expecting a miracle, not me.

:D caddyman is zeke/whosyourdaddy.

No, but it does make the whole change mantra a joke.

A bigger joke than ignoring 911 warnings and then attacking the wrong country? :wacko:

He does have lobbyists in his administration but unlike Bush doesn't put oil company lobbyists in charge of oil policy. Bush had them design policy and then go right back into oil corporations unltil a new policy was needed. I'm surprised they didn't work for Exxon and the govt. at the same time.

The lobbyists he has have to recuse themselves from working in their former capacities.

A bigger joke than ignoring 911 warnings and then attacking the wrong country? :wacko:

He does have lobbyists in his administration but unlike Bush doesn't put oil company lobbyists in charge of oil policy. Bush had them design policy and then go right back into oil corporations unltil a new policy was needed. I'm surprised they didn't work for Exxon and the govt. at the same time.

The lobbyists he has have to recuse themselves from working in their former capacities.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama, who campaigned on lessening lobbyist influence in government, has chosen a defense expert who is currently a vice president and lobbyist for one of the country's biggest defense contractors to be his deputy secretary of defense.

Lynn is currently a senior vice president at Raytheon, which has billions of dollars in Defense Department contracts and is the maker of the Army's Patriot Missile system and the Tomahawk missile used by the Navy. The company is also developing a global positioning satellite communication system with the Air Force.

As deputy secretary, Lynn would be involved in the process of budgeting and acquisitions, in addition to running the day-to-day operations of the Defense Department.

nice try though :D

Edited by dmarc117

Outgoing:

Gordon England is the 29th Deputy Secretary of Defense. He previously served as the 72nd and 73rd Secretary of the Navy and as the first Deputy Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security.

Prior to joining the administration of President George W. Bush, Mr. England served as President of the General Dynamics Fort Worth Aircraft Company (later Lockheed), President of the General Dynamics Land Systems Company and as corporate Executive Vice President of General Dynamics Information Systems and Technology Sector, Ground Combat Systems Sector and the International Sector. His business career spanned over 40 years as an engineer and senior executive.

A native of Baltimore, Mr. England graduated from the University of Maryland in 1961 with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. In 1975 he earned a master's degree in business administration from the M.J. Neeley School of Business at Texas Christian University and is a member of business, engineering and leadership honor societies.

Mr. England has served in a variety of civic, charitable and government organizations, including serving as a city councilman; Vice Chair, national Board of Goodwill, International; the USO's Board of Governors; the Defense Science Board; the Board of Visitors at Texas Christian University; and many others.

He has been recognized for numerous professional and service contributions by multiple universities and organizations.

Incoming:

William J. Lynn III, Deputy Secretary of Defense

Lynn brings decades of experience and expertise in reforming government spending and making the tough choices necessary to ensure that American tax dollars are spent wisely. Lynn served as the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller) from 1997 to 2001. In that position, he was the chief financial officer for the Department of Defense and the principal advisor to the Secretary of Defense for all budgetary and fiscal matters. From 1993 to 1997, Lynn was the director of program analysis and evaluation in the Office of the Secretary of Defense, where he oversaw all aspects of the DoD’s strategic planning process. Lynn was awarded three DoD medals for distinguished public service, the Joint Distinguished Civilian Service Award from the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and awards from the Army, Navy and Air Force. He also received the 2000 Distinguished Federal Leadership Award from the Association of Government Accountants for his efforts to improve defense accounting practices. Lynn currently serves as senior vice president of Government Operations and Strategy at Raytheon Company. Before entering the DoD in 1993, Lynn served for six years on the staff of Senator Edward Kennedy as liaison to the Senate Armed Services Committee. He has also been a Senior Fellow at the National Defense University, on the professional staff at the Institute for Defense Analyses and served as the executive director of the Defense Organization Project at the Center for Strategic and International Studies. A graduate of Dartmouth College, Lynn has a law degree from Cornell Law School and a Master’s in Public Affairs from the Woodrow Wilson School at Princeton University. He is married with a daughter.

Lynn isn't exactly unqualified.

Seems to me that every time Obama appoints someone with any experience we are going to hear "That's not change, that's more of the same." Which is some what funny. It was the first thing I thought of when my baby brother's inactive reserve unit learned they get to go back to Iraq in March.

I think I can still believe that Obama will represent change in things that matter to me. To be honest, the Deputy Secretary of Defense just isn't that big of deal to me. If that were my big issue, I'd have voted for 4 more years of King Chicken Little as Gordon England seems abundantly qualified to me. The person with that job should probably be fully aware of how much a new Johnson Rod for an F-18 should cost and whether or not the F-18 even needs a new Johnson Rod. Those kinds of people will have some kind of history with the industry, no?

When my car is acting up, before I take it anywhere, I have two of my friends who can fix anything take a look at it so when I get to the mechanic, I'm a little less stupid than I normally am. That's a good thing.

If you are really concerned about Obama giving me the change I want, why did you skip over the fact Robert Gates is sticking around to pick on poor old Willie Lynn?